Former Democrat MP proposes Bt45-bn bridge to Koh Samui

webfact

Former Democrat MP proposes Bt45-bn bridge to Koh Samui
By The Nation

SAMUI: -- Former Democrat MP Samart Ratchapollasit on Wednesday proposed that the government build a bridge to the popular tourist destination Koh Samui to shorten travelling time and reduce travelling expenses.

Samart said a bridge would spur tourism development in nearby areas as well and further drive Samui’s economy, which depends on tourism.

Samart said although Samui is one of the top tourist destinations in Thailand, the cost of flying to the island is more expensive than flying to some other countries.

And when tourists try to save money by flying to Surat Thani, it takes hours because they have to catch a ferry at the Don Sak pier in Nakhon Si Thammarat to Samui.

Samart said a ferry trip to Samui takes about one-and-a-half hours while if there were a bridge, it would only be a 20-minute drive from the mainland.

He said a cable bridge should be built from Laem Prathap cape south of the Don Sak pier to Laem Hin cape on Samui. The bridge would be about 18 kilometres long with two lanes running in each direction. Construction would cost about Bt45 billion, he added.

He said the bridge would not affect ferry services because businesses would continue using boats to transport goods.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30315502

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-17

Well, let's see. it took 7 years to build a flyover in Pattaya and now over 2 and a half years for an underpass, that still isn't open..

I reckon by the time this is finished, people will have their own personal teleportation devices, so the bridge won't be needed.

Alternatively, they could force BKK Air to stop price gouging.  I can fly AA Surat - KL - Gold Coast cheaper than a return flight to BKK.

BTW During 19 May - 28 October 2017 Bangkok Airways flight traveling between
Bangkok - Samui will be operated by Bulgaria Air. Now THAT is something to look forward to.

6 hours ago, halloween said:

Alternatively, they could force BKK Air to stop price gouging.  I can fly AA Surat - KL - Gold Coast cheaper than a return flight to BKK.

Bangkok - Samui will be operated by Bulgaria Air. Now THAT is something to look forward to.

That might explain the low 'Quality Tourists' from down under :wink:

I can smell something, where did you get that information about Bulgaria Air operating any flights in Thailand let alone to Samui?

15 hours ago, halloween said:

???? What a BS.

If it happens then one things for sure....Bandit Airways are going to have to drop their prices because the drive to Bangkok or a cheap flight from surat will have gotten a whole lot more convenient and quicker!

After reading this it reignites my feelings of keeping politicians in contempt. The only thing they know is how to spend tax payer money foolishly. Its stuff like this and subs that keep good projects on hold. Pie in the sky ideas. 

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Well, let's see. it took 7 years to build a flyover in Pattaya and now over 2 and a half years for an underpass, that still isn't open..

I reckon by the time this is finished, people will have their own personal teleportation devices, so the bridge won't be needed.

Bridges to no where are quite popular today. Google will show you some dandies 

The ferry cost Bt600 one way. I wonder how much the bridge toll would be to repay Bt45-bn

How many new ferries could they buy for that price!

Edited by Oink

On 5/17/2017 at 5:06 PM, halloween said:

How about we go easy on that pipe.