Thai Customs hits back after alleged watch smugglers turn to social media

webfact

5 minutes ago, trogers said:

Deserve is a subjective word.

And in my opinion, the guy who climbed the fence into a pride of lions deserve the consequence. He knows the risk and he should not ask why he becomes a victim.

haha.. this is getting sillier and sillier....  You are continuing to argue that someone who is robbed deserves it... 

No one deserves to be robbed... anywhere....  No one deserves to be the victim of any crime.

Well some might, perhaps if a thief were robbed, they may deserve it... 

Edited by richard_smith237

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some will recall that when laptops were the latest thing, relatively uncommon and quite expensive, it was a total pain in the arse bringing one into Thailand: for a year or two, it was inevitable that one would be stopped, questioned and (not quite) threatened with tax, excise, confiscation etc, unless it could be shown going out.

Now they are worth nothing, no one cares.

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Please explain why I deserve to lose my Watch when I fly back home to the UK or return to Bangkok?

Also, a watch is not quite the same as the chunky gold necklace on display with the singlet in Pattaya and elevated risk of a snatch. That said, there are areas I would choose not to wear a decent watch, but these are not in Thailand.

Does someone who drives a BMW, Mercedes or Bentley also deserve to have them stolen? 

You may think someone who wears a nice watch is showing off, but that perhaps suggests you would be showing off should you choose to wear a nice watch and project this attitude onto others. This says more about you than the 'watch wearer'... additionally, the 'no need to wear a watch when I have a phone comment' has been done to death in other threads. 

For others, they are simply wearing a watch they like, much like wearing the T-shirt or shoes they like, having their hair cut to the style they like. 

Quite  right, I wear my Dads 1963 Omega Seamaster watch just as it reminds me of  him everyday.He died a  couple of years ago although I only go back to the Uk once a year now to visit  my Mother...........buggered if Im taking it off for customs, not sure of its value but must be more than their 20k limit..........no receipt..unsurprisingly

Edited by kannot

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

haha.. this is getting sillier and sillier....  You are continuing to argue that someone who is robbed deserves it... 

No one deserves to be robbed... anywhere....  No one deserves to be the victim of any crime. 

That's your opinion. Lecture that to the one who points a gun or knife at you sometime in the future.

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Kudos to you for being so polite and patient with this guy. Sounds to me he can't stop digging the hole deeper and deeper - or maybe it's deliberate.........But he obviously isn't going to change his mind on here and the original issue has now been twisted to suit his viewpoint.

Quite  right, I wear my Dads 1963 Omega Seamaster watch just as it reminds me of  him everyday.He died a  couple of years ago although I only go back to the Uk once a year now to visit  my Mother...........buggered if Im taking it off for customs, not sure of its value but must be more than their 20k limit..........no receipt..unsurprisingly

There's no law stating you're not allowed to travel with personal possesions worth more than 20 000 Baht. You're not allowed to buy something overseas on a short trip and bring it back into the country without declaring it. The reason Thais get stopped more than foreigners is that they are automatically assumed to be (and usually are) residents. :rolleyes:

46 minutes ago, trogers said:

Seems working hard and being smart are too different things. Why paint oneself as a target?

One can show off freely among one's peers on home ground. One would not know the ground conditions of holiday destinations.

The word ''deserves'' seems harsh.

14 minutes ago, kannot said:

Aside from the sentimental value, that is a lovely watch. Stylish, practical, reliable. Yes, it's over the 20K but no one is going to stop you to check.

Yep - the UK Customs have equally archaic and idiotic regulations.... I guess these types of regulation are never modified or altered as that would take effort and be of no financial benefit to Customs and Excise (in any country). 

US also: they're $200, $800 and $1600...depending on country visited. Which countries don't have a limit?

35 minutes ago, trogers said:

That's your opinion. Lecture that to the one who points a gun or knife at you sometime in the future.

You go to weddings, meetings, decent restaurants and bars with people who have guns and knives ?

I admit, I would feel slightly more vulnerable walking down beach-road in Pattaya with a Rolex watch. I'm assuming you are of the opinion that should I ever walk down beach road in Pattaya with a Rolex I would deserve it if I were the victim of any robbery.... 

Note: I do actually chose where to wear items which may be perceived as valuable by those in my surroundings potentially placing myself in a vulnerable situation. 

But, by your comments troggers, can I assume you never wear anything decent or of considered value? 

Now, I place very high value on my passport, and so could criminals who could sell it on. We are advised to carry our passports with us at all times. Thus, would I deserve it if my passport were stollen ?

You see, your arguments, while understood are so fundamentally flawed on every level of decency. I'm just relieved we are discussing belongings and not an attack on an attractive young lady dressed for a night out. 

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

The word ''deserves'' seems harsh.

Harsh but very true. They know the risk they are taking, and still choose to do it. Like pouring blood into the waters before jumping in to swim with sharks...and then shouts 'Help me, I am a victim'.

1 hour ago, topt said:

Kudos to you for being so polite and patient with this guy. Sounds to me he can't stop digging the hole deeper and deeper - or maybe it's deliberate.........But he obviously isn't going to change his mind on here and the original issue has now been twisted to suit his viewpoint.

And the original issue was the question of items of value wore on a person, over Bt20,000 while traveling here on vacation.

7 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Using this law many people would have to leave their cellphones at home.or some even their laptop. No gold jewelry,no expensive watches etc. 20,000 baht is not much.

A US citizen returning to The US is only allowed 22,500($800) baht.So ,percentage wise, Thais come out even better.The next $1000 is 3% tax in the US

9 minutes ago, trogers said:

Harsh but very true. They know the risk they are taking, and still choose to do it. Like pouring blood into the waters before jumping in to swim with sharks...and then shouts 'Help me, I am a victim'.

You know, I don't think it is or does...

My wife's best friend is living in Denmark. She arrived  in Thailand on May 2nd by plane. She was carrying a 2 year old Gucci weekend bag as her cabin lugage. She had to pay 26,000 THB import taxes.  When she was leaving Thailand last Tuesday she wanted to have the import taxes returned as she took the Gucci weekend bag back home, again as cabin lugage... She didn't see one THB returned !!!

55 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You go to weddings, meetings, decent restaurants and bars with people who have guns and knives ?

I admit, I would feel slightly more vulnerable walking down beach-road in Pattaya with a Rolex watch. I'm assuming you are of the opinion that should I ever walk down beach road in Pattaya with a Rolex I would deserve it if I were the victim of any robbery.... 

Note: I do actually chose where to wear items which may be perceived as valuable by those in my surroundings potentially placing myself in a vulnerable situation. 

But, by your comments troggers, can I assume you never wear anything decent or of considered value? 

Now, I place very high value on my passport, and so could criminals who could sell it on. We are advised to carry our passports with us at all times. Thus, would I deserve it if my passport were stollen ?

You see, your arguments, while understood are so fundamentally flawed on every level of decency. I'm just relieved we are discussing belongings and not an attack on an attractive young lady dressed for a night out. 

I have been here since 1983.

The first advice my boss gave me was to never carry too much money in my wallet, and never take the cash out to count openly. I would be asking for it if I do.

Sure, you can be decorated like a Xmas tree for the appropriate occasion. But how many tourists attend weddings or functions of VIP?

Should you be of such a high calibre, the hotel safe of a 5-6 star hotel would be the place to keep your valuables after the functions.

You need only to carry a photocopy of your passport on your person. Deposit your passport in the hotel safe.

3 minutes ago, FredNL said:

My wife's best friend is living in Denmark. She arrived  in Thailand on May 2nd by plane. She was carrying a 2 year old Gucci weekend bag as her cabin lugage. She had to pay 26,000 THB import taxes.  When she was leaving Thailand last Tuesday she wanted to have the import taxes returned as she took the Gucci weekend bag back home, again as cabin lugage... She didn't see one THB returned !!!

She is Thai...

25 minutes ago, sanukjim said:

A US citizen returning to The US is only allowed 22,500($800) baht.So ,percentage wise, Thais come out even better.The next $1000 is 3% tax in the US

About the value of a used iPhone...

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This potentially opens up a whole can of worms for any regular traveller... 

Any watch of note or a laptop, Camera, tablet, phone, handbags can now be taxed at the whim of a customs officer unless you have a receipt of purchase in Thailand.... 

IF these were watch smugglers, the would surely have more than one watch on their possession. 

I don't believe they confessed openly, this comes across very much as coercion. The customs also confiscated these 1.2 Million Baht watches (as reported in Panthip.com)... something really stinks here. 

It is perhaps time these antiquated laws are modified to reflect some intelligent thought before Thai Customs make an international example of themselves. 

----------------

I have numerous luxury watches, I sometimes travel back to the UK with 3 watches (Eg. Panerai, Rolex, Bell & Ross), Plus a MacBook, iPad, iPhone... heck even my Tumi carry on case is worth more than 20,000 baht....

Returning back to Thailand just became potentially more hassle, and for what? what real benefit for the authorities?

Catch smugglers by all means - but use intelligence: These items should be boxed, new, unopened and in most cases being carried in numbers. 

What if the goods have been purchased more than a year ago?

2 minutes ago, trogers said:

That 2-year old Gucci bag answers your question...

Indeed, that story is particularly worrisome...  it opens up a potential can of worms for any traveller entering Thailand.

Fortunately, as things stand the Customs officials are fairly flaccid in their enforcement.... with the exception of the 'Gucci handbag' story above. 

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed, that story is particularly worrisome...  it opens up a potential can of worms for any traveller entering Thailand.

Fortunately, as things stand the Customs officials are fairly flaccid in their enforcement.... with the exception of the 'Gucci handbag' story above. 

I highly suspect the lady is a Thai. Airport customs here only profile a few foreign races due to frequent cases of smuggling.

http://www.asiaone.com/asia/man-singapore-india-flight-caught-smuggling-gold-bars-rectum

Edited by trogers

38 minutes ago, FredNL said:

She should certainly have spoken to somebody higher at the time. Failing response, she should have put a strongly worded complaint in.

If the bag was 2 years old, even if seldom used, it would be possible to tell it wasn't new. New is the key word here. That is just crazy.

4 hours ago, FredNL said:

And she accepted to pay without making a social media drama ? Poor her...

12 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Using this law many people would have to leave their cellphones at home.or some even their laptop. No gold jewelry,no expensive watches etc. 20,000 baht is not much.

This is only on new products being brought in. Personal items are exempt.  Actually it says this in the article that the girls claimed they were personal belongings to avoid paying the import duties/tariff