Questions about Burriram.

JohnOFphon

I'm thinking of flying there next month. June. It's been a long time since I was there last, and then it was only for one night.

So this time, 2 or more nights.

What's to do, see and are there any fun resorts, or hotels. Not necessarily girl orientated but hat's fun too. I mean fun, unique, or interesting.

Also, would it be better to rent a car or use public transportation.

PM if you have any info.

John

If you ask me, I would have said that Buriram is a one horse town, except someone has stolen the horse.

Not a lot around there except the Beer Chang International Race Circuit. On June 24/25 there is the International GT Series Motorcycle Races. I fly to Buriram several times a year as I have  a house half way between Buriram and Prasart Surin.

Nothing too special unless you like to watch live motor racing at the best circuit in the country or watch football at the best stadium in the country. There's some good nightlife but don't expect to find bars like in certain tourist areas. Would definitely recommend getting a car. There are also lots and lots of good places to stay.

Eat at dinosaur.

Go see thunder stadium.

Go see the inactive volcano, which is quite nice.

Go to the bus station and watch the tuktuk drivers wake up and quickly drive to you.

If you have time you can try the Khmer market near the border. Not great but ok.

Eat at dinosaur again.

I stayed at GT hotel and quite liked it.

Yes, airport is a bit away from the city.
What to see: Phanum Rung, a well-preserved Khmer Hindu temple from about year 1000 dedicated to Shiva, on top of an extinct volcano. Probably part of the huge Angkor Wat complex in Cambodia, but it’s 200 years older and located on the Thai side of today’s border. Twice a year the sun rises and rays through all 15-door-gates into Shiva's linga (sacrificial stone) in the middle of the temple, which is still celebrated religiously. "Rung" means "rainbow" in Thai, but in Khmer language it means "mountain" (Vnam Rung = Phanum Rung), the full name is Prasat Hin Phanum Rung and can be translated as Mountain Stone Castle (castle stone mountain).

post-122720-0-54366800-1456940304_thumb.jpg

Edited by khunPer

6 hours ago, Estrada said:

If you ask me, I would have said that Buriram is a one horse town, except someone has stolen the horse.

All along now I have just assumed that horse was re-assigned to an inactive post. :smile:

the drive from BFV to buriram city is not that long.  30-40 minutes.  they've added a lane in a couple sections that helps if you need to pass a slow moving truck.  it is certainly more convenient than most airport drives i encounter in my travels.

the hotels that are higher quality with pools, include the amari, cresco, and thada chateau.  X2 is a new one that i haven't visited yet.  cresco is pretty nice, i've eaten there but not stayed overnight.

i usually eat at the restaurants in the robinson shopping center or one of two restaurants on han chana road - book & bed and the tulip resort (also known as muang pizza).  the tulip resort has a big pool but is not as stylish as the others i named above.

11 hours ago, cooked said:

The reason so many people seem to dislike Buriram is the reason why I like it. It's a peaceful, unstressed place. Plenty of development going on and the roads are generally good.

If you've reached a point in your life where the majority of your needs (and all of your daily needs) can be met by what you can do/order online, and shop at Big C / HomePro, then Buiram is a great place.  Quiet, peaceful, clean, and the basic necessities of life.

If, however, you are a city boy, forget it :P

This is on my list of places to retire in solitude should that day arrive.... hopefully not for a while tho :P

17 hours ago, cooked said:

The reason so many people seem to dislike Buriram is the reason why I like it. It's a peaceful, unstressed place. Plenty of development going on and the roads are generally good.

Delete  this post ,  please ..

Just go to  Udon,    Krap . 

Edited by elliss

On 5/18/2017 at 7:36 AM, khunPer said:

Yes, airport is a bit away from the city.
What to see: Phanum Rung, a well-preserved Khmer Hindu temple from about year 1000 dedicated to Shiva, on top of an extinct volcano. Probably part of the huge Angkor Wat complex in Cambodia, but it’s 200 years older and located on the Thai side of today’s border. Twice a year the sun rises and rays through all 15-door-gates into Shiva's linga (sacrificial stone) in the middle of the temple, which is still celebrated religiously. "Rung" means "rainbow" in Thai, but in Khmer language it means "mountain" (Vnam Rung = Phanum Rung), the full name is Prasat Hin Phanum Rung and can be translated as Mountain Stone Castle (castle stone mountain).

post-122720-0-54366800-1456940304_thumb.jpg

Ruung (actually a long vowel, not short like Thai rung = rainbow) means "cave" in Khmer; it's the phanom part that means "mountain."

9 minutes ago, Chou Anou said:

Ruung (actually a long vowel, not short like Thai rung = rainbow) means "cave" in Khmer; it's the phanom part that means "mountain."

Thanks for correction, and revealing of "ruung" – found the "mountain" explanation from one of many sites telling about Phanum Rung, cannot remember which, but not Wikipedia that only say Phanum Rung Stone Castle – used it as note for my photo...:wai:

5 hours ago, elliss said:

Delete  this post ,  please ..

Just go to  Udon,    Krap . 

Yes indeed, there are a lot more bars in Udon. I know the place. If that's what you came to Thailand for, go to Udon.

On 5/22/2017 at 3:20 AM, Nice Boyd said:

Swan Bar, Food is Damn Good, Great Owner Mel, not far from hospital, Paddys Bar is Good

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Paddys  Bar is very good ,   

ps,  Howel,  owes me a beer ,,, or too,,  555