What to do with my feet? (photo)

simon43

Sorry to inflict this photo on the forum members - I hope it doesn't put you off your breakfast, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

IMG_20170520_055525.thumb.jpg.833884584353cbd14b0671113768be76.jpg

So I have these 2 feet.  The one on the right has a large bunion which I've had for maybe 30 years or so (I suppose I wore narrow shoes in my younger days).

Sometimes the bump of the bunion is painful, but usually it's OK.  However, even though I now wear wide, soft shoes, the angle of my big toe seems to be getting worse - it's pushing more and more against the toe next to it.

As for my left foot, there is the start of a bunion as that big toe also leans over to touch the toe next to it.

Although both feet do not cause me any issues right now, I'm concerned for the future. I (now) do a lot of jogging and walking.  I do not want to have any walking/running problems in the future years because of my bunions.

Any suggestions if there is anything that I can do that doesn't involve surgery? Toe spacers?  

Does anything work to pull the big toe back into correct alignment? (I understand that the bunion itself will not reduce, but I'm concerned that my toes will become more misaligned, the bunions will become enlarged even more, and that I'll have walking issues and/or pain in the future).

Wow, that bunion on the right is a real doozie.  I had bunion surgery when I was in my early thirties, when mine were somewhere between yours in severity.  The one on the left came back!  But not nearly as bad as your right bunion.

Perhaps you can take up other forms of exercise that don't put so much stress on your feet.  Like swimming, exercise bike, rowing machine.  Also, custom shoes or at least a custom orthodotic inserts for your athletic shoes could help.  

Thanks Nancy.  The bunion doesn't cause me any issues so far - I've had it for decades.  My concern is that the big toe seems to be moving further towards the next toe, inspite of wearing wide shoes etc.

I do have custom orthodotics for many years (to successfully resolve a planar fasciitis issue).

Perhaps I'll try a toe separator or even this interesting product:

https://bunionbootie.com/

Does anyone know of a walk-in shop in Bangkok where I can buy this type of bunion splint?

I can't buy these items in Naypyidaw (Myanmar), and ordering from online stores is not realistic (too many ordered items go 'astray' in the local postal system).

I will be in BKK in mid July for a few days, and would certainly like to purchase something to use on my bunions (I can buy hacksaws locally....).

• 8 months later...

I'm sorry to hear that your local post office might not send the goods you order online to your home address but might discard it. Will it work that you pay a little extra so the package will be handled by a reputable company such as FedEx, DHL, EMS? They will call you and deliver the goods. But DHL costs about 20 USD. Too much for me.

I just ordered 2 splints from Aliexpress last night. Cost about 5 USD each and I just chose the free shipping to Thailand. Before I did the payment, I searched if anyone bought any bunion splints from this website before, and I saw your topic here. I can't find any feedbacks except in their own website so I just ordered, hoping I'll be ok. I know that with such cheap price, the splints will not last long.

Out of curiosity have you had an injection of Plasil ?

I had a bad allergic response to Plasil which was given following a spider bite.

I ended up with what is called chicken toes where the toes start to curl under.    

I also lost feeling in some of my toes and a number of fractures and cracks has caused some toes to twist sideways.

On the worst toes, at night, I wear something like a finger stall to straighten and support adjoining toes.   I bought the white fabric gloves you can get at a 20 baht shop.     I cut the correct size finger ends off the gloves, tapped them loosely together and put two toes in one glove finger and one in the other.   The fitting is flexible and soft and comfortable at night which helps straighten the toes.   You may be able to wear with shoes.

Not sure if walking on grass would help.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Amputate!

I'm happy to report that I still have both feet. They seem in the same condition as my OP and I get no problems or pain from the bunion of my right foot.

I jog about 8 Km every day for exercise without any foot discomfort.  (I wear Adidas Alphabounce shoes which are very lightweight and comfortable).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't intend to have surgery because this bunion causes me almost no pain and doesn't seem to be getting any worse now. I usually wear Adidas Alphabounce jogging shoes most of the day, and these shoes are akin to wearing a pair of dance shoes ==> allow my feet to breathe, expand etc, yet still very supportive for my running.

A pair of these shoes lasts me one year before the sole is worn out - I just bought a new pair last month, very happy with them.

• Like 1