Anyone else leaving soon....we need another thread

tazly

Loved that Mobi leaving thread .......lots of hilarious stuff/comments on there, until he personally decided to shut it down.

So could someone else pretend to be leaving, so we can get the ball rolling again...?

Edited by Scott
Name edited out

There are always plenty who say they are on the point of leaving. Also I have much sympathy for those who feel trapped here for one reason or another. 

The Mobi thread morphed from a farewell into an almost forensic examination of his life and life choices. 

Who would want to submit themselves  to such close and intrusive scrutiny? Not me, for sure, but I have no plans to go back home, for now. 

All of us; happy or disillusioned here; should have a Plan B in place for any unforseen circumstances that may arise. Mobi had one and put it into action. Good on him.

3 minutes ago, champers said:

There are always plenty who say they are on the point of leaving. Also I have much sympathy for those who feel trapped here for one reason or another. 

The Mobi thread morphed from a farewell into an almost forensic examination of his life and life choices. 

Who would want to submit themselves  to such close and intrusive scrutiny? Not me, for sure, but I have no plans to go back home, for now. 

All of us; happy or disillusioned here; should have a Plan B in place for any unforseen circumstances that may arise. Mobi had one and put it into action. Good on him.

What was interesting was that he wanted the thread closed....the comments were priceless.  Maybe he didn't like people having a laugh at his expense, and was expecting everyone to be more teary-eyed.

If you look at the number of his posts; I think he knew what to expect. Mobi's life is not a template for how others should lead their lives; it is a cautionary tale as much as anything. He has been very open and honest and I commend him for that.

He is yesterday's man. I recognise and celebrate that fact. Let's look to the future now.

Edited by champers

41 minutes ago, champers said:

If you look at the number of his posts; I think he knew what to expect. Mobi's life is not a template for how others should lead their lives; it is a cautionary tale as much as anything. He has been very open and honest and I commend him for that.

He is yesterday's man. I recognise and celebrate that fact. Let's look to the future now.

Someone needs to come up with a quote to preserve his memory,  how about Casablanca-esque "we'll always have Mobi" , or "what would Mobi say"?

Goodbye - I love you all. Hmmm ... that doesn't cut it. But I am leaving after 3 decades, but I'm a dull, humorless, colorless nonentity. Not at all exciting, raffish, debonair, witty, charming and charismatic like Mobi and 99.99% of BMs. So say goodbye and tell me how much you'll miss me and all the fun we had ... Marie was only six years old, information please ... oops, sidetracked. Can I feel some love here, or am I gonna kill yet another conversation?

1 hour ago, tazly said:

Someone needs to come up with a quote to preserve his memory,  how about Casablanca-esque "we'll always have Mobi" , or "what would Mobi say"?

"Now that we don't have Mobi to kick around any more . . ."

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

What about if someone if talking about marrying a Thai or entering some dodgy financial deal...................
........" heeeeeeere's Mobi !! "

That's pretty good....or maybe, "the deal went Mobi", or "don't go all Mobi on me"

Some of the comments made towards Mobi were disgraceful.  He opened up about his situation and said what he was doing and explained why.  For anyone in a similar situation Mobi's original post and subsequent posts provided the sort of thought process that could be very useful to others who may also be considering leaving Thailand.  Why some people chose to get so personal, I will never know - but there does seem to be rather more of that online these days.

I know when I told my friends in Bangkok that I was returning to Australia they were dumbfounded and some got very critical as if it was some sort of personal affront against them and their chosen lifestyle.  Some expats get very sensitive if they even so much as suspect someone might not look favourably on their Thailand lifestyle and by definition, their choosing to live in Thailand over their homeland.

8 hours ago, tazly said:

"Pile on, guys. Let's mobi this sucker!"

10 hours ago, tazly said:

Loved that Mobi leaving thread .......lots of hilarious stuff/comments on there, until he personally decided to shut it down.

So could someone else pretend to be leaving, so we can get the ball rolling again...?

Or we can all sit around waiting until you decide to pull a Mobi.

42 minutes ago, mstevens said:

Some of the comments made towards Mobi were disgraceful.  He opened up about his situation and said what he was doing and explained why.  For anyone in a similar situation Mobi's original post and subsequent posts provided the sort of thought process that could be very useful to others who may also be considering leaving Thailand.  Why some people chose to get so personal, I will never know - but there does seem to be rather more of that online these days.

I know when I told my friends in Bangkok that I was returning to Australia they were dumbfounded and some got very critical as if it was some sort of personal affront against them and their chosen lifestyle.  Some expats get very sensitive if they even so much as suspect someone might not look favourably on their Thailand lifestyle and by definition, their choosing to live in Thailand over their homeland.

yes ....  poor mobi had 6 wives ....  

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes ....  poor mobi had 6 wives ....  

Yeah but so what? He didn't have to kill any of them did he?

(Women.

Can't live with 'em.

Can't kill 'em either)

Edited by NanLaew

32 minutes ago, mstevens said:

Yes. But every personal detail is a bone for our buzzards to seize upon and gnaw and use to make themselves feel superior.

Nah, they didn't give a shit. Maybe they were dumbfounded at some of your irrational reasons and tried to help you past them. Something like "I can't afford it" or "I need the free schooling in Australia for the kids" makes perfect sense. "I don't like pussy" or "Space monkeys are eating my brain" etc. might well get a negative response. 

8 hours ago, tazly said:

How about you minding your own business...

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

:mfr_closed1: