NHL ice hockey franchise for Harbor mall

tazly

The ice surface could be a bit small, but with a Slapshot-like team, this could fill the place up and calm the fears of the doomsayers.  Now just to come up with a suitable name.

hanson.jpg

Edited by tazly

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

The Hanson Brothers if my memory serves from the movie Slapshot.  really was a classic

Played by actual pro players the Carlson brothers and Dave Hanson. Hanson played pro for the dirtiest team I ever watched.  The Birmingham Bulls  of the WHA . My local team had a bunch of Europeans on it and they took a beating whenever the Bulls came to town. We always won the game but it didn't seem to bother them.

2 hours ago, pegman said:

Played by actual pro players the Carlson brothers and Dave Hanson. Hanson played pro for the dirtiest team I ever watched.  The Birmingham Bulls  of the WHA . My local team had a bunch of Europeans on it and they took a beating whenever the Bulls came to town. We always won the game but it didn't seem to bother them.

Cool.  I grew up in Rhode Island during the Bobby Orr era.  Played hockey outside in the winter, didn't see real ice until Dudley Richards Ice Rink opened up near me.  Back surgery from falling down a mountain convinced me I couldn't take the risk of cross checks later on so I stopped playing.

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Cool.  I grew up in Rhode Island during the Bobby Orr era.  Played hockey outside in the winter, didn't see real ice until Dudley Richards Ice Rink opened up near me.  Back surgery from falling down a mountain convinced me I couldn't take the risk of cross checks later on so I stopped playing.

In the middle, coldest part of Canada we had outdoor natural ice rinks from early Nov till April. My grandson plays all his games indoors on artificial ice nowadays.

Just now, pegman said:

In the middle, coldest part of Canada we had outdoor natural ice rinks from early Nov till April. My grandson plays all his games indoors on artificial ice nowadays.

Yep.  I loved a few years ago when the NHL started having some games "outside".  The players loved it.  Brings back so many memories, falling through the ice at the edge of the pond where the ice was a bit thin due to the brick edge that warmed things up, horrible rough bumpy ice, destroyed the blades that cost $1 to sharpen at the ice rink.  A few tussles over who had the ice.  Bringing shovels to shovel the snow.  And this was not a 50 meter walk to the pond.  No equipment, no shin guards, rolled up some magazines, or newspapers.  I was born in 1957 so I am not making this up.  To this day going to a hockey game is a thrill.  You get that slight smell of humidity or a little bit of ammonia from the machinery. 

• 5 months later...