Far fewer Brits coming to Thailand - but they are behaving much worse

webfact

10 hours ago, Happy enough said:

Can't believe I just wasted my time reading that. Even looked at the stats. Damn, I need a hobby. Wasted another few seconds writing this comment doh

I see you're a newbie here. There's still time to turn your life around. Delete your profile here and all links quickly.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Play with statistics long enough, you can make them say whatever you want.

pinch of salt anyone ?

People tend to believe what they like and not believe what they don't like. Thus they question the statistics that indicate something they don't like or agree with.

The reports are trying to be informative and give information that people can relate to..... numbers.

Statistically the numbers should also reported by per million or per 100,000 visitors per country for ease of comparison.

In this way you can determine that based on the latest statistics if you choose Thailand as opposed to Spain as your destination then you are 16 times more likely to die and 8 times more likely to be raped or sexually assaulted.

Edited by TheLobster
grammar correction

13 hours ago, TheLobster said:

Number alones do not tell the true story, if you look at 'incidents' as a percentage then pro rata 16 times more visitors to Thailand died when compared to Spain.

i note the airfares from USA have dropped

14 hours ago, TheLobster said:

Number alones do not tell the true story, if you look at 'incidents' as a percentage then pro rata 16 times more visitors to Thailand died when compared to Spain.

And why no international graph for deaths?

15 hours ago, steven100 said:

You just have to visit walking street after 6.00pm and the evidence speaks for it's self.

4 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

its people like you who go down walking street they are talking about

Nobody goes down Walking Street around 6pm apart from those who have never been.

I only know from my limited experience over 4 years, but I find the Brits to be a lot of fun to hang out with, but I also hear a disproportionate  number of stories of their bad experiences in Thailand compared to what I hear from other farang. These stories are usually in the context of warning me about all of the terrible things that will likely happen to me if I live there. So whatever it is, there seems at least to be a cultural gap leading to a tendency to misfortune in one form or another. But I don't necessarily put much stock in the news OR in my limited experience. 

3 hours ago, balo said:

And they are all in Pattaya. 

Far too many of them.

I live here and don't see a decrease in total numbers to be honest so I would assume it is a change in the way they are counted, i.e. through the turnstile from KL or PP with a new single entry visa rather than a 30 day permission to stay in lieu of counts as a new tourist for Thai purposes but it is the same guy on the UK side.

The average age of the British visitor seems to be dropping so you would expect that drug and arrest issues might rise?

not just Brits..... come on!

but didn't it seem kind of odd... and quite incongruous.... to hear repeated "we want to attract quality tourists" as any kind of narrative.... 

in one of the world's fewest states where the strategy is to be one of the cheapest travel destinations and the theme (unofficially but obvious).... to be the 21st century's biggest ethnological exposition.

absolutely no changes in an at all progressive direction of it's education system.... none at all.... and that was under the military when it was possible.... politically otherwise it will never have a chance at all... they don't even talk about it other than the wonderfully effective vague wording of 'reform of the education system' and 'more money'.... in the mean time, we need to pretend that the reason there is such a dearth of libraries and real book shops is that everyone is ordering reading material on line and reading at home in a closet somewhere....... or the Ethnological Exposition is gonna work in spades.  

yeah, that's the way I see everything here. but not Brits. not this. I only have ever grown in my respect for the UK. many many first class folks.

Edited by maewang99

8 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

It is over 18 months since I last came to Thailand from the UK. It is nothing to do with crime issues I stopped coming. Its the antiquated laws on top of more antiquated laws, that are designed to in-flicked total harassment on all foreigners, with endless bureaucracy. Having been to many countries over many years and the sense of freedom to do what ever you want within the law in many countries. The only way to describe the law in Thailand is Thai Gestapoism. The things that are most attractive about Thailand is not its culture, but the weather and reasonable prices in the large stores. They think tourists are Buddha's gift to Thailand. The Buddha if he reincarnated back to Thailand today, he would be totally shocked at the corrupt greed that runs through its society. In many countries tourists get special discounts (If there is a price in National Parks tourists are likely to get a discount, but not in Thailand). In Thailand it is let us create a law to rip off the tourists. The TAT expects tourist numbers to double by 2030. It will never happen as they will not have the population to serve such a large growth, unless they change their employment laws and allow foreigners to participate in the economic cycle of Thailand. Including the right to own land, which Thais are allow to do in many countries, with some of their large business owners (Leicester Football Club, Reading Football Club, Red Bull plus thousands of small businesses).  

The Man speaks many truths, well said Bill

2 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I only know from my limited experience over 4 years, but I find the Brits to be a lot of fun to hang out with, but I also hear a disproportionate  number of stories of their bad experiences in Thailand compared to what I hear from other farang. These stories are usually in the context of warning me about all of the terrible things that will likely happen to me if I live there. So whatever it is, there seems at least to be a cultural gap leading to a tendency to misfortune in one form or another. But I don't necessarily put much stock in the news OR in my limited experience. 

The problem with Brits is they say it as it is and not as they think you want to hear it.

They do not liars or scammers, which you will find a few here avoiding the UK law.

But if you are in trouble a Brit will stop and help unlike many others, as you may have seen on the news today.

Well, the hundred thousands of border runners are missing and then the Thai tourism product is in free fall down the drain. Why would I wing in for a beach holiday if I am getting fined for using (or even bringing along my own) beach chair? The dual pricing indicates clearly a two-tier society and nobody likes being taken (officially) for a ride. 
Vacationers work hard for their holidays; they do not want to be told to retire at 11pm or 1am for the night; they are old enough to decide that on their own. 
Seeing the tourist sites can be a sad affair, garbage everywhere, touts verbally ripping you off and if you don't fall for them then they insult you.

Result is, the quality tourists go elsewhere (Burma is not knowing where to go with the USD 100+/day tourists) and that space is taken up by "quality" tourists from China, India and yes, from the UK as well; the cheapies move in and not all of them qualify being citizen a country could be proud of. 

In closing, here the UK is presented; I'd assume that similar figures apply to the rest of the "Alien" and "Farang" world. In Vietnam they call us guests, here we're from outer space - get it? 

Patteya Phuket Hua Hin  lots of drugs floating around provided by the Russian Mafia  Lots of sex around Just look at walking street Lots of alcohol around Receipe for Disaster Dont matter if you are English German American Aussie everyone can be tempted Its just a few idiots who cant behave themselves and get out of control.

When you have a police force that is so corrupt and take bribes and dont worry the bad tourists know this so they misbehave . No win situation for everyone Thought tourists numbers were up this year or was that just another spin from the government?

14 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

Oh come on.....if you don't get it that "a hundred" is loosely saying "lot's of" and a "shed" load is also "lot's of", then I'm not gonna waste any more time on your racist comments. Where are you from, planet Zorb? That must be where they all think they are God's gift to Earth and that their turds don't stink. My last word is "Knob". Look that one up in Wikipedia.

now you are talking! Racist! that is what all fools resort to when they have nothing to say. it is not "racist" to call people out for what they are! just sit in any outside bar on soi 4 or soi cowboy and watch the sloppy looking homeless looking drunks walking the street talking their cockney accent. the truth hurts don't it? and I am used to taking a person at his word, not loosley,  Ta Ta for now.

16 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

Lol...they are not from the bottom of the barrel. Ive got some good Brit mates here in los. Some are even inteligent and well behaved. Brit Basher....?

chances are that they are NOT tourist. but people who live and work in Thailand.

15 hours ago, InTransit said:

So all Brits have cockney accents? I think you'll find that a cockney accent derives from Londoners of English decent. And what do you expect spending your time hanging around up market places like Soi 4? Hardly the venue of choice if you are looking for a sophisticated night out is it. :sleep:

not hanging around, just staying at a hotel near a supermarket. I do not hang around the bars nor do I talk to any foreigner,  I just  sit around, drink my coke and watch people. it is facinating, try it sometime, you will see all kinds of human beings, some acting civilized and some being complete idiots.

Not sure who would be the less pleasant to encounter:

1) The Brits being discussed here (who I guess proportionately aren't here in any greater numbers than the a55holes from any other country - regardless of how high and mighty or beyond reproach folks might like to THINK their particular nationalities are)

2) The racist bigots spewing their nationalistic crap.

On balance, guess I'd prefer number one. At least you could have a good laugh and beer with them (just leave before they got out of order). The second group, well, nothing but total contempt for them. Type of people you wouldn't pi55 on if they were on fire, let alone drink with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yet despite this more than 50% drop in visitors drug arrests soared from 29 to 46

I notice they don't say in which country the drugs were purchased.

When I flew from Bangkok to Denpasar I was subjected to a thorough search of all my baggage and clothing at Ngurah Rai. The reason given was that I had come from Bangkok so they were checking for drugs.

Seems Thailand has a certain reputation internationally.

Edited by hugh2121

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

There are only people on benefits who have thye free time and can afford to come.

Many years ago I was single & on benefits in the UK, couldn't even dream of going anywhere on holiday, least of all as far a field as Thailand.

That's when benefits are truly all you have.

Yes.  The trouble is that with a broad set of figures like this one can lend any number of interpretations that may or may not be true, and people arent slow in attaching their own prejudices- prejudices that they were going to attach anyway whether the wind was going to blow this way or that when they got up today.

It is interesting that problems should have shown such a broad increase.  My own prejudice tells me it is likely some error or change in the statistics that has given a new misleading picture.  It could also be that misdemeanours are being chased more assertively than before.