Harley-Davidson building factory in Thailand

"Harley-Davidson is building a new plant in Thailand, reflecting the industry’s push for global sales growth.The iconic American motorcycle maker was part of President Donald Trump’s focus on U.S. manufacturing in the early days of his administration. Executives visited the White House in February to meet with Trump, who thanked Harley-Davidson “for building things in America.” But even Harley-Davidson had a manufacturing footprint overseas, and the Milwaukee-based company says the facility in Thailand will improve its ability to serve markets where demand is on the rise."  

continued>>>  LINK

Edited by Issanman

On 5/23/2017 at 2:18 PM, Anythingleft? said:

Could this pull the prices down to the same as other country list prices? Or would they still be inflated to keep the status factor..?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yes big time. If you read the article, a 60% tax can be avoided, so I think they will drop the prices on those models being assembled here in order to compete with Triumph.

On 5/23/2017 at 11:18 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

They are going to market them as " Hardly-Davidson " emoji51.png

Well what do you call the local assembled Triumphs/Ducati's then? :smile:

This is very good news indeed, HD's are perfect for Thailand, taking it easy and enjoy the ride without going +200km/h.

I heard from a friend that they will assembly everything here from Dyna and down. 

I might get another Harley in this life after all, I gave up when I sold my last one due to family commitments and couldn't justify having a +700k baht bike sitting in the garage and little time riding it.

Man oh man, big bike riders are getting more and more choices here over some 5 years, remember when the only big bike made in Thailand was the Kawasaki ER6n? The rest was grey imports.

3 hours ago, Bikeman93 said:

They also announced 100 new models over the next 10 years, hopefully not the same model with slight differences. Would be good to see some smaller capacity or dual sport bikes. 

Yes, would like to see a 100cc Harley with a basket on the front. What a massive seller that would be. How hard would you look going to the 7/11 for a beer. Cool.

Just now, Denim said:

Yes, would like to see a 100cc Harley with a basket on the front. What a massive seller that would be. How hard would you look going to the 7/11 for a beer. Cool.

I forgot looking hard and cool is most important to Harley riders

44 minutes ago, Denim said:

If papa remembers correctly.

They made something like that back in late 60s.

[sans basket].

Awesome to reintroduce that.

Damn good idea Denim.

i guess.

6 minutes ago, papa al said:

If papa remembers correctly.

They made something like that back in late 60s.

[sans basket].

Awesome to reintroduce that.

Damn good idea Denim.

i guess.

You mean this one Papa?

1965 Harley Davidson M50

5924ed56d39c3_HarleyDavidsonM50.jpg.e3607da3fd821d6b5c83aec3753c48c9.jpg

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Just joke couldn't resist it. :biggrin:

12122609_410311732501143_415731183275452561_n.jpg.656171cb99bacfce64e4225cb67f09fc.jpg

That old chestnut...Me, i've always loved Harley's, but only the older ones and i have a soft spot for Sportsters (Skirtsters as big twin owners will tell you).

The myth of HD's being slow is outdated. With a bit of know how and not a lot of money, you can have an HD that seriously hauls arse, reliably too. My old Evo FXR would cruise all day, every day at the above speed and it was'nt even breaking into a sweat. If i could have hung on, it would do 100mph all day long, every day. But that's not practical with beach bars...

What i have'nt liked with the Motor Co. is there advertising, the new same same heritage models and the new breed of riders it has attracted in the last two decades.

Give me the good olde days any day when only real bikers and weirdos rode Shovelheads, and every rider had black fingernails and greasy jeans. Not accountants and lawyers dressing up at weekends pretending to be the Bad Boyz, riding belt drive bikes that don't need touching, hence clean jeans, let alone finger nails...

Sorry, rant over...

3 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

The myth of HD's being slow is outdated.

Give me the good olde days any day when only real bikers and weirdos rode Shovelheads, and every rider had black fingernails and greasy jeans.

Agree,   personally l don't like the HD loads of chrome bling ones.

Test rode a Night Rod in UK l liked it, loads of grunt but still not my thing.

I was a motorbike greaser not really what they called rockers and luved my BSA gold flash then later got a lightning.

My Dad had a Triumph speed-twin l was always working on that for him. :biggrin:

26 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Give me the good olde days any day when only real bikers and weirdos rode Shovelheads, and every rider had black fingernails and greasy jeans.

Best part was you knew exactly who you were dealing with. Now ... cops ride 'em,  AH's ride em', Joe Citizens with the 9 to 5 ride 'em. Why - because they are considered 'Cool' 'Trendy'

Everybody wave as you pass by - to people you do not know. PUKE

Well what do you call the local assembled Triumphs/Ducati's then? [emoji2]

This is very good news indeed, HD's are perfect for Thailand, taking it easy and enjoy the ride without going +200km/h.

I heard from a friend that they will assembly everything here from Dyna and down. 

I might get another Harley in this life after all, I gave up when I sold my last one due to family commitments and couldn't justify having a +700k baht bike sitting in the garage and little time riding it.

Man oh man, big bike riders are getting more and more choices here over some 5 years, remember when the only big bike made in Thailand was the Kawasaki ER6n? The rest was grey imports.

Yeah I read the link after I had posted and saw the 60% info. I just recently went for a Kawasaki, not what I was really wanting but the list price in the HD shop was astronomical for the model I liked.... maybe a second bike next year if it all pans out.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/23/even-harley-davidson-cant-resist-the-tug-of-overseas-factories.html

One Thai HD collector in above article is already worried that some of his bikes might drop in value when this new plant is up and running end of next year.

Nothing new there, some Triumph & Ducati owners got hit not so long time ago. 

Their new factory in York, Pennsylvania (near where I come from), is very automated with robots doing much of the work. 
They use real humans to put in the engines, and feed the cables through, and to push carts around the factory because the union makes them keep so many paid employees. 
But the robots and machines are doing most of the work. 
So, yes, they can probably be built just as good in Thailand. 

In the old days, the assembly line had the bikes come through in the order that they were ordered.   (old factory where all the Harleys used to be put together, although the engines and trannies are all built in Wisconsin)
They figured it would keep the job from being boring and monotonous.  
Now, all that's changed too and they do different models on different days.

The tour is free, although if you want the full tour (paint room, some souvenirs, behind the lines, you can pay for and get the "steel boot tour"      

We've done both. 

If you're ever there, go for the free one, you see almost just as much. 

Well what do you call the local assembled Triumphs/Ducati's then? :smile:

"HD's are perfect for Thailand..."
If they have decent suspension I guess .. Had a Softail Springer in '92 in Switzerland and I can't imagine that bike being comfortable here with it's crappy suspension. That's the last HD I rode. Don't know how todays Harley' ride.

When I started riding them, if you wanted something, you - or a buddy - made it.  Made for an original bike. Now - look thru a catalog, order what you want, viola. Except 10,000 other people want the same thing, so they are all cookie cutter bikes. Want a good handling HD - get a Dyna. Mine has adjustable suspension front and rear.

If, like me, you like Sportsters, (i also like the earlier tubular framed Buells), check out a company called Avinton. Their bikes start @ £28k or 30k Euros. I believe it's a French company.

1647cc S&S 6 speed Sportster based motors. Outrageous quality and design. I suppose a European modern FI version of a Buell. Makes the latest 1200 Ducati Monster look very sad.Probably out-performs one in all depts too.

Stunning...

If, like me, you like Sportsters, (i also like the earlier tubular framed Buells), check out a company called Avinton. Their bikes start @ £28k or 30k Euros. I believe it's a French company.
1647cc S&S 6 speed Sportster based motors. Outrageous quality and design. I suppose a European modern FI version of a Buell. Makes the latest 1200 Ducati Monster look very sad.Probably out-performs one in all depts too.
Stunning...

Haha considering most posts are related to the overpricing of the bikes here thats useful.. But... they do look nice all the same

6 hours ago, canthai55 said:

When I started riding them, if you wanted something, you - or a buddy - made it.  Made for an original bike.

Making your own original bike.

Impressive.

Same Carducci.

Took him 3 years on the HD-DS.