Trip to Sattahaip by train

thaibeachlovers

I took 2 baht buses to get to the top of Central Rd, then crossed Sukhumvit on the pedestrian overbridge and walked to the railway station. I had plenty of time so it wasn't a problem. Had it been hotter I'd have taken a motocy taxi on Sukhumvit.

No problem finding the station- just walk away from Sukhumvit till the railway tracks and turn left. Stay on that side of the tracks- not possible to get to station from other side.

If buying advance rail tickets to elsewhere in Thailand can do there.

The train one takes leaves at 1035, but it didn't arrive from Bkk till 1050. Ticket costs 6 baht one way.

3rd class carriages, but upholstered seats.

There are a few stops on the way. Pattaya floating market and Nong Nooch being two of them.

The train doesn't go to Sattahip, so at the last stop cross over the highway and catch a yellow songtheaw, 20 baht.

It stops in the town near one of the temples. All the songtheaws stop there.

The town is the same as every other small Thai town I've ever been in, so as it was very hot I didn't explore.

The seafront is straight ahead from the bus stop. Turn right and there is a strip of small restaurants. Keep going and there are some trendy western style restaurants with western type prices. Also a boutique hotel.

The seafront is nothing to get excited about, but the view of the islands and fishing boats is OK.

The naval base with some navy ships and the aircraft carrier is far away on the left.

To go back to Pattaya I took a white songtheaw with blue writing, 30 baht. It goes along Sukhumvit as far as Naklua.

Interesting day out for little cost. 

18 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

@canarysun has previously posted a lot about his various Thai train trips. Not seen anything from him about them recently though.

As far as I recall, canarysun went home after living here for a couple of years on about 8,000 or so baht a month. He really was quite extraordinary in how he was able to stretch his meagre income and enjoy life here, which involved a lot of train travel as it was so ridiculously cheap. I miss his sunny disposition and positive attitude ... "Greetings viewers ... " :)

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

@canarysun has previously posted a lot about his various Thai train trips. Not seen anything from him about them recently though.

My inspiration for the trip were his train posts.

The only reason I didn't take the train back was that it is a long songtheaw ride to get to/ from the railway station to Sattahip.

Around the railway station itself I couldn't see anything worth visiting, and it's a nearly 2 hour wait for the return train.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My inspiration for the trip were his train posts.

The only reason I didn't take the train back was that it is a long songtheaw ride to get to/ from the railway station to Sattahip.

Around the railway station itself I couldn't see anything worth visiting, and it's a nearly 2 hour wait for the return train.

Only 2 hours .....Only one train a day Monday-Friday,more like 22 hours wait

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

<Snip>

I am in Sattahip at least 4 times a week ( I live in Bang Saray).....the place you describe is as far from the Sattahip I know as apples are from oranges.

It's a bustelling town with a fantastic park that people use for recreational exercising in the evenings and beautiful walks. Has many restaurants, a whole Soi is turned into an open air restaurant every day from about 16.00 hrs. It's completely filled with tables with a variety of different foods from many vendors available.       You can still buy iced coffee from 15 baht from the street cars.

Many of the shops are selling stock that they stopped selling back home about ,50 years ago....it's just great to see that kind of stuff again.

Has a lovely Tesco Lotus shopping mall where a lot of soldiers and their families eat plus a lot of students.

If it's " nigjt life" one is intetested in though I cannot comment. I like to curl up in front of the TV about that time.

Edited by metisdead
Removed post edited out of reply.

31 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I am in Sattahip at least 4 times a week ( I live in Bang Saray).....the place you describe is as far from the Sattahip I know as apples are from oranges.

It's a bustelling town with a fantastic park that people use for recreational exercising in the evenings and beautiful walks. Has many restaurants, a whole Soi is turned into an open air restaurant every day from about 16.00 hrs. It's completely filled with tables with a variety of different foods from many vendors available.       You can still buy iced coffee from 15 baht from the street cars.

Many of the shops are selling stock that they stopped selling back home about ,50 years ago....it's just great to see that kind of stuff again.

Has a lovely Tesco Lotus shopping mall where a lot of soldiers and their families eat plus a lot of students.

If it's " nigjt life" one is intetested in though I cannot comment. I like to curl up in front of the TV about that time.

Yes, maybe things liven up at night, I was only there for a 3 hours in a midweek afternoon.

3 hours ago, nookiebear said:

Only 2 hours .....Only one train a day Monday-Friday,more like 22 hours wait

No, the train go to Sattahip in the morning

http://www.railway.co.th/Ticket/list_station_stop.asp?IdTrain=283&Leg=en

and return to Bangkok in the afternoon

http://www.railway.co.th/Ticket/list_station_stop.asp?IdTrain=284&Leg=en

:cool:

The "Navy" beaches seem to be popular but are sometimes off limits to foreigners depending on the alignment of the stars ...the "turtle conservation center" is worth a visit...the Aircraft carrier
HTMS Chakri Naruebet is off limits to foreigners except with a written invitation from the top Admiral !

Great post thaibeachlovers. I travel by train whenever I can. I find it interesting to see all the locals and all the stuff they sell on the train. Also, it's nice to be able to get up and walk around and have a toilet available should the need arise. Seeing the countryside from a train is almost always more interesting than what I see from a bus or car.

Also nice that Canarysun inspired so many here in Thailand. Good attitude will take you farther than money any day.

11 hours ago, dotpoom said:

You forgot to mention there are no beer bars at all, something to do with being a navy town!

When my Thai nieces and nephews were small I used to take them on a train journey from Plutaluang (Sattahip) station to Si Racha and my wife drove the car to meet us as there are no return trains. Then a trip to see the turtles, then the beach. Happy days. 

For anyone that is interested, you can get to the airport from Pattaya on that train. Leaves Pattaya around 14.20 and stops at Lat Krabang. From there you can catch the City Link into the airport, arriving around 6pm. Not sure of the fare but would guess at around 27 baht, think it is 32 baht into Bangkok, it would be 10 baht on the City Link.

Downside is that it is only once a day.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

For anyone that is interested, you can get to the airport from Pattaya on that train. Leaves Pattaya around 14.20 and stops at Lat Krabang. From there you can catch the City Link into the airport, arriving around 6pm. Not sure of the fare but would guess at around 27 baht, think it is 32 baht into Bangkok, it would be 10 baht on the City Link.

Downside is that it is only once a day.

the problem is that it will probably cost you 10 times the train fare to get to Pattaya train station by Taxi......  and at Lat Krabang, you are still not at the actual airport....

5 hours ago, THAILIBAN said:

the problem is that it will probably cost you 10 times the train fare to get to Pattaya train station by Taxi......  and at Lat Krabang, you are still not at the actual airport....

He did say one can get City link at Lat Krabang.

Baht bus to Central Rd 10 baht, Baht bus up Central Rd 10 baht. Motocy taxi to railway station 50 baht.

Obviously doesn't work if carrying a big bag. OK with backpack though.

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

He did say one can get City link at Lat Krabang.

Baht bus to Central Rd 10 baht, Baht bus up Central Rd 10 baht. Motocy taxi to railway station 50 baht.

Obviously doesn't work if carrying a big bag. OK with backpack though.

Thanks for that, always some one that wants to negate the information.

Recently we caught the train up to Udon. I live in Chonburi and my mate was staying just off Central Road in Pattaya. He walked on to Central Road and got the Baht bus up to the end, walked across the bridge and got a motor bike for 20 baht to the station. I got on at Chonburi, 23 baht for me into Bangkok station.

As you mentioned he was carrying a backpack and obviously not so easy with large luggage, but substantial saving could be made if travelling as a group.

To clarify Lat Krabang is the first stop for the City Link out of the airport and is an interchange with the SRT eastern line.