Phuket Police chief warns against breach of new Computer Act

webfact

Phuket Police chief warns against breach of new Computer Act

The Phuket News

1495769316_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: -- Commander of the Phuket Provincial Police, Maj Gen Teeraphol Thipjaroen, has urged people to be aware of the consequences of breaching Thailand’s new Computer Crime Act 2017, which came into effect on Wednesday (May 24).

“Any person or business which promotes a product or products on another person’s or businesses social media page will be breaking the law according to the new Computer Crime Act 2017,” he said.

“If a person or business is found guilty of this they will be fined B200,000,” he added.

“Furthermore, if any person or business sends an SMS advertising a product or products to a number which has not given permission to do so, or sends spam email to an email address, then that person or business, if found guilty, will also be liable to pay a fine also of B200,000,” he explained.

Gen Teeraphol went on to state that pressing the Like button on Facebook should not be a problem unless what somebody has Liked it in relation to the Royal Family.

“If anyone if found guilty of breaking this law then they will be charged under Section 112 of the Criminal Code,” he said.

With regards to Sharing Facebook posts, Gen Teeraphol explained that if shared Facebook posts are deemed to have some form of negative effect on a third party, then the person who shared the post can be charged under Computer Crime Act 2017.

In addition, if any device owner finds illegal information stored on their device which they are not responsible for putting there, they can report this to relevant officials, he said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-chief-warns-against-breach-of-new-computer-act-62311.php 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-05-26

2 hours ago, Reigntax said:

The military are doing a fine job running the country.

Should I now be charged with publishing false and misleading information?

i would like to click 'like' but i can't afford the fine. :unsure::smile:

Edited by taichiplanet

“Furthermore, if any person or business sends an SMS advertising a product or products to a number which has not given permission to do so, or sends spam email to an email address, then that person or business, if found guilty, will also be liable to pay a fine also of B200,000,” he explained. "

Does this mean no more annoying "spam" from AIS sent to my phone... I hope so!!

6 hours ago, Reigntax said:

The military are doing a fine job running the country.

Should I now be charged with publishing false and misleading information?

Yes sunshine you are doomed for

Writing on your computer

Telling very very big lies

But

Not sure if propaganda is in CCA17 if not you are ok as Propaganda is not telling lies is it, as the greens use it all the time

CCA17 just toilet paper at its best

2 hours ago, RigPig said:

“Furthermore, if any person or business sends an SMS advertising a product or products to a number which has not given permission to do so, or sends spam email to an email address, then that person or business, if found guilty, will also be liable to pay a fine also of B200,000,” he explained. "

Does this mean no more annoying "spam" from AIS sent to my phone... I hope so!!

Wish I had his email address I would send him a million emails aweek

So...If I take what that guy is saying in the opening line verbatim, does that mean any and all adverts that come through to my mail and elsewhere are deemed illegal, since I have not GIVEN PERMISSION to anyone to send me promo's and adds...?

22 hours ago, webfact said:

With regards to Sharing Facebook posts, Gen Teeraphol explained that if shared Facebook posts are deemed to have some form of negative effect on a third party, then the person who shared the post can be charged under Computer Crime Act 2017.

until  i got to this part, i was reasonably happy as we were starting to get definition; but the quoted piece is troubling 'some form of negative effect'; what precisely could that be ? it is totally subjective; someone listening in having a bad day can interpret it their way

On 5/26/2017 at 10:51 AM, webfact said:

“Any person or business which promotes a product or products on another person’s or businesses social media page will be breaking the law according to the new Computer Crime Act 2017,” he said.

Isn't this exactly how Twitter and Facebook make their money; by forcing ads onto Timelines and feeds?

The second post on my Facebook timeline today was a sponsored ad for The Times. The second post on my Twitter page is an ad for Google Cloud. Should I be reporting this to Karon Police Station, along with the couple of spam texts I received this morning? 

7 hours ago, steelepulse said:

What a fantastic balanced judicial system

many people have said 'thailand HAS laws'; aside from a horrid law enforcement sector, so many of these laws are radically outdated; punishments no where near matching the severity of the crimes

I read  it this  way... Perpetuating    bs,  false  information , distortion  of fact, lese  mageste infringements , or  other social media  input deemed  contrary to  establishing  a   new  social  attitude  that  does  not  encompass recognition  of  well  announced  objectives are considered   to  be  less  than unwelcome  at  this  point  in  time .

In  the   normal  context of  expectation  many  would  find  that  unacceptable.

But  perhaps  for the  majority   it  would  be  better to  consider  support.

That being  based  on the  reality  that  the  previous  system was/is inherently  flawed.

If  support  for the  introduction  of  an alternative  system was  to  be  fully  supported then the outcome  of  the  flaws  of it  would  be  disclosed  more quickly.

Overall the  outcome could  not   be  worse  than  previous and  potentially  could  be  much  better.

Resistance  does  not  alter  outcome.

It  only  prolongs  the passage  of  change.

Yes,  I expect   much  flack  ! :smile: