Hunt on for stolen UK cars

rooster59

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first moved to Thailand over twenty years ago I wanted to ship my car over from the UK.  It was a 5 year old Mercedes and it's UK value was about £16,000.  When I enquired about the costs of importing it I was told the import duty would be £42,000.  The duty was based on the NEW value of the car and because it was classed as a luxury car that was the charge for the duty which represented 150% of the new cost.  To buy the equivalent car in Thailand at the time was £25,000. 

I bought a Honda for £12,000 which did the job just as well.  

Asked why Customs released cars with so-low declared prices out,  Customs Department Director General Kulis said the agency would generally believe and accept the prices as stated in the submitted invoices from importers.

Huh?

I was hoping to see my Reliant Robin on the list........

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

And are the cars subsequently going to be returned to the UK, or are they going to find their way back on to the streets here again? I suspect the latter.

it seems that this is a very big insurance fraud case involving gangs in Great Britain And Thailand ! so it's going to be complicated and the insurance company ('s) will chose the less expensive solution !?!?!? I guess repatriating the cars all together will be the cheapest ?! but then again, those companies live on a completely different level and have ways we would never suspect !.

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

It is now become more apparent as to how so many Thais can afford

themselves to own super luxury cars and why you see so many of the top

marquee cars running around the country's roads, as may are stolen and most

if not all paid very little tax on them....

Maybe so but the owners still pay for the cars and the prices are still extremely expensive.

The 300% tax does seem to work in terms of protecting local vehicle manufacturing industry. Contrast that with Australia, zero tax on imports and zero support has resulted in the annihilation of the auto industry there. Although the vehicle lobby has succeeded in preventing imports of second-hand vehicles from Japan, on the flimsy pretext of not meeting Australian Design Rules. Funny that - the Kiwis don't seem to have a problem.

I am wondering in the midst of all this Thai-bashing why the British authorities are allowing high-end vehicles to be shipped off-shore, without any apparent checks of ownership and financial obligations attached to the cars.

2 hours ago, dutchbull said:

They stole my Fiat 500 in Britain I wonder if I can claim it now with Thai authorities

Dutchbull you are a spoilsport!!

I had in mind to speak about my Austin Alegro and you got there first with your Fiat 500.

Make mine a single malt bartender.

Edited by owl sees all
spelling error

12 hours ago, Tatsujin said:

Then you're failing to see the much bigger picture and seriously failing to understand how things work here.

Tats, some people just live in a parallel universe. They choose not to see what is in front of them or too much Prozac? :omfg:

I'm no expert on this but I am thinking that Thailand is an 'assembler' rather than 'manufacturer'. If I'm wrong please put me right.

I own a Toyota, Is it correct for me to say built in Thailand?

14 hours ago, darksidedog said:

And are the cars subsequently going to be returned to the UK, or are they going to find their way back on to the streets here again? I suspect the latter.

The insurance company owns them I'm sure they will pay the shipping,to get the cars back to sell them to recover some of the cost and get the money back from the owner.  Sounds like a good deal for the insurance company

27 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I'm no expert on this but I am thinking that Thailand is an 'assembler' rather than 'manufacturer'. If I'm wrong please put me right.

I own a Toyota, Is it correct for me to say built in Thailand?

Plus Honda Toyota Nissan also make parts here. Use love to have the 800 horse power hell cat 

13 hours ago, YetAnother said:

cant see how this could work; new shipping routes would develop

Shows the type of people running the country then nicking things in transit as tourists numbers fall, got to find another cash income

5 years and all that will be hear are ghosts

9 hours ago, natway09 said:

How do you ship a stolen car out of the UK? 

They must have brown envelopes as well

Container car inside then covered in scrap parts to hide the car and a night time sailing, then here yes your right Mr K has a family member high in a certain port and a few brown things happen

On 5/27/2017 at 10:54 AM, Muggi1968 said:

I choose to be happy that things seem to be improving and not always see things from a negative angle...

"...seem to be improving..."  'seem' is the operative word here - smoke and mirrors all too often! The word obfuscation come readily to mind.  

"...to determine if the cars evaded tax." Really? I thought the dealer/importer was to pay the tax. Yup, always lay the blame on to someone/something else.

On 5/27/2017 at 6:32 AM, ezzra said:

It is now become more apparent as to how so many Thais can afford

themselves to own super luxury cars and why you see so many of the top

marquee cars running around the country's roads, as may are stolen and most

if not all paid very little tax on them....

I have been told by Thai friends in the US that the cars are totally dis assembled and imported as parts then re-assembled and issued new ID numbers as junk/salvaged vehicles to avoid import duty. 300%? And I was stupified at a $15 or $20 Turkey selling for ฿2300 at Villa Market.  555

23 hours ago, bazza73 said:

The 300% tax does seem to work in terms of protecting local vehicle manufacturing industry. Contrast that with Australia, zero tax on imports and zero support has resulted in the annihilation of the auto industry there.

The main purpose of the 300+% import duty on super cars isn't to protect a super-car manufacturing industry that doesn't exist and probably never will.  

It's to discourage people from buying and driving gas hogs that also serve as gaudy rolling reminders to the have-not masses how much they're being screwed by the haves.

Keep in mind that Thailand is a net importer of oil, and every liter burned in traffic adds a negative to their balance of trade.  And I can't think of a better example to give the masses the red eye than a bright yellow Lambo.

• 2 weeks later...

Have not read all responses here so apologies if already said but two things sprung to mind on seeing the OP picture;

1. Has Ken Hom (chinese cook) got a new career with RTP? 

2. Could a certain POS (on the run heir to a fortune) and seemingly untouchable have a hand in exporting fancy motors from Blighty to LOS...?