Australia's "Ganja Queen" set to leave Bali

rooster59

Australia's "Ganja Queen" set to leave Bali

By Heru Asprihanto

640x640 (3).jpg

Convicted Australian drug trafficker Schapelle Corby has her head covered as she sits in the Denpasar Parole board office following her release from Kerobokan Prison in Bali, February 10, 2014. REUTERS/Jason Reed/Files

DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Australian drug convict Schapelle Corby is set to be deported from the Indonesian island of Bali on Saturday night after completing a twelve-and-a-half-year sentence for smuggling marijuana, a case that strained ties between the neighbouring countries.

Corby has always maintained her innocence, saying she was unaware she was carrying more than 4 kg (8.8 lb) of marijuana in a boogie board bag when she arrived on the resort island in late 2004.

The case received huge media attention, with many Australians feeling the former beauty therapist had been harshly treated under Indonesia's strict drug laws, even though Corby could have faced the death penalty for trafficking.

Adding to the drama and public interest, the court hearings were broadcast live and included emotional outbursts from Corby and her family when she received a 20-year sentence.

"Australians became so besotted with the case," said Janine Hosking, who made the documentary "Ganja Queen" about Corby's case. "She doesn't look like how we would imagine a drug trafficker to look; she looks like the girl next door."

"People will speculate forever on this case," Hosking told Reuters previously, adding that the media attention had worked against her even if it made her a star.

Corby's sentence was later cut after a request for clemency to then president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and she was released on parole in 2014.

Under her parole conditions, Corby had to keep in close contact with correctional officers while living at the Bali home of her sister Mercedes, trying to stay out of the public eye as the media tracked her every move.

According to the head of the parole office, Surung Pasaribu, Corby had been fearful of the constant media coverage, and he said the Australian government had asked his office to ensure her safety ahead of her departure to Brisbane on Saturday night.

"All that's left is to sign some letters," Pasaribu said, after which she will be handed over to immigration officials at Bali's Ngurah Rai airport. "Today, Corby is free."

In an Instagram post (@schapelle.corby) on Saturday, Corby told her more than 61 thousand followers, "Good bye to this parole paper work. Approching (sic) parole office for the last time."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-28

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What beyond me is the morbid fascinations with this trashy scrubber and a bogan of a woman, a drug user and a drug mule, just because she somewhat a  looker and Aussie in troubles abroad, I read that she nearly got the death penalty but somehow missed it... Pity....

Laws are absurd. I am from Oregon. Most of West Coast has legalized pot. Last visit home there were more pot shops than 7-11's. What used to be a tax expense is now a tax asset. No collapse of society either.

Is she trash or just entrepreneur?

Yes to all of the above but let us not just make one plant put in the ground by God when our Planet Earth was created, let us make all plants illegal to sell to be fair.    

Many of us (possibly not in this group) are actually aware of the amazing healing potential of cannabis as possibly the greatest cure for cancer and other diseases (possibly not in this group).

We can wonder who gains when we send someone to prison for selling cancer cures now that our information is updated as it is in many countries like Holland, Canda, Portugal, we can join together to bring new light to this plant which has received so much negative publicity.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/03/09/medical-cannabis.aspx?e_cid=20140309Z3_PRSNL_Art_1&utm_source=prmrsnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20140309Z3&et_cid=DM41920&et_rid=450241027

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

What beyond me is the morbid fascinations with this trashy scrubber and a bogan of a woman, a drug user and a drug mule, just because she somewhat a  looker and Aussie in troubles abroad, I read that she nearly got the death penalty but somehow missed it... Pity....

Regardless of your obvious hatred for this stranger - do you really wish that she had been killed by a firing squad?

29 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Laws are absurd. I am from Oregon. Most of West Coast has legalized pot. Last visit home there were more pot shops than 7-11's. What used to be a tax expense is now a tax asset. No collapse of society either.

Probably neither. By all accounts just incredibly dumb. More troubling is the fact that a very large number of Australians believed her to be innocent ( as opposed to those who believed her guilty but thought the sentence  too harsh, myself included).

45 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

You always get the drunks and pharma poppers , poo pooing the Potheads...Like Moths to a Flame

14 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

I dont know that answer Emster23.....but what I do know is that people do not usually smuggle drugs into Indonesia. Its a little like smuggling Cocaine to Columbia. There have been many Australians arrested (& executed) for buying drugs in Indonesia to bring back to Oz. The plane she was on did not go directly to Bali-- it went from Brisbane (where she boarded to Sydney) where people got off and on then directly to Bali. Her defence claimed that  1/- the baggage handlers in Australia were transporting drugs between states by this method. And by oversight they were not removed. After her conviction the federal police raided the baggage handlers at all Oz airports. The Sydney Morning Herald, stated that Corby flew out of Sydney on the same day (8 October 2004) as a large shipment of cocaine was shipped out of the airport by a drug ring involving corrupt baggage handlers. During the week of 9 May 2005, several arrests occurred in Australia related to cocaine smuggling through Sydney airport.

The Indonesians stated that this was Cocaine so it was not related to this case.

Several offers were made by the Oz Government and refused by Indonesian Court.

They offered to have their top agricultural forensic experts just look at a sample & they would tell them what part of the world it was grown in--- in early 2005 Australia was advised that the Bali police would not be providing a sample. . The fact that none of her fingerprints were on the bags--was said by the Bali court to be irrelevant as it was in her possession---that was all that counted.

I do not know if she is innocent or not---the case certainly divided people in Oz. The only thing that I do reflect on is that 2 young boys are in Jail in Thailand to the outrage of most TV posters----however if they had been in possession of some weed as well--I am sure the views from most old timers on here would probably be a little different. ............:coffee1:

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

, I read that she nearly got the death penalty but somehow missed it.

Yes ezzra--the Bali court offered to take away the death sentence if she would just admit she was guilty. --- her answer--"I cannot admit to a crime I did not commit. And say to the judges, my life at the moment is in your hands."

1/-These claims were later supported when the former head of operations for the Australian Federal Police's internal investigation unit, Ray Cooper, claimed that it was well known within the AFP that some passengers were unwittingly being used to transfer drugs between domestic airports in Australia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schapelle_Corby

they take it IN, because it's apparently so much higher in 'quality' than the local brown poo, that they make a killing...

oh! and about the choice(s) of airlines used to deport:

There's a good underlying reason why an Indon airline wasn't one of them...

... that, if she was to step into an Indon... aircraft, she's still regarded as being on Indon soil - and they could not have THAT

Edited by tifino

6 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

White trash is going home. She really does embody many young people from Australia especially the women. Uneducated ,unskilled, self endulgent,self serving,spoiled brats.

I detect a faint trace of animosity towards Corby in your post, probably unintentional.

2 hours ago, tifino said:

they take it IN, because it's apparently so much higher in 'quality' than the local brown poo, that they make a killing...

oh! and about the choice(s) of airlines used to deport:

There's a good underlying reason why an Indon airline wasn't one of them...

... that, if she was to step into an Indon... aircraft, she's still regarded as being on Indon soil - and they could not have THAT

Her flight was with Air Malindo, a Malaysian carrier in order to evade the media of whom 40 were booked on a Virgin flight - LOL

Edited by simple1

I was in Malaysia, back when Barlow and Chambers were hanged for Dada (Ganga) carrying...

EDIT - Note that the initial carrier was Virgin (also equates with my Non-Indo carrier theorum) 

Edited by tifino

Well I have to say I am disgusted by society in the world today.

A convicted criminal is treated as though she's a movie star by the media.

She is a drug user and was convicted and is put all over the television by media from the time of being released to the airports and then Sofitel hotel.

She is disgusting, she is a drug user, and so are the media ....  and Australians have really lost all ' common sense ' .....        I'm lost for words.   lol 

ok ...   I've had my rant for today ....   

Edited by steven100

2 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

I dont know that answer Emster23.....but what I do know is that people do not usually smuggle drugs into Indonesia. Its a little like smuggling Cocaine to Columbia. There have been many Australians arrested (& executed) for buying drugs in Indonesia to bring back to Oz. The plane she was on did not go directly to Bali-- it went from Brisbane (where she boarded to Sydney) where people got off and on then directly to Bali. Her defence claimed that  1/- the baggage handlers in Australia were transporting drugs between states by this method. And by oversight they were not removed. After her conviction the federal police raided the baggage handlers at all Oz airports. The Sydney Morning Herald, stated that Corby flew out of Sydney on the same day (8 October 2004) as a large shipment of cocaine was shipped out of the airport by a drug ring involving corrupt baggage handlers. During the week of 9 May 2005, several arrests occurred in Australia related to cocaine smuggling through Sydney airport.

The Indonesians stated that this was Cocaine so it was not related to this case.

Several offers were made by the Oz Government and refused by Indonesian Court.

They offered to have their top agricultural forensic experts just look at a sample & they would tell them what part of the world it was grown in--- in early 2005 Australia was advised that the Bali police would not be providing a sample. . The fact that none of her fingerprints were on the bags--was said by the Bali court to be irrelevant as it was in her possession---that was all that counted.

I do not know if she is innocent or not---the case certainly divided people in Oz. The only thing that I do reflect on is that 2 young boys are in Jail in Thailand to the outrage of most TV posters----however if they had been in possession of some weed as well--I am sure the views from most old timers on here would probably be a little different. ............:coffee1:

Yes ezzra--the Bali court offered to take away the death sentence if she would just admit she was guilty. --- her answer--"I cannot admit to a crime I did not commit. And say to the judges, my life at the moment is in your hands."

1/-These claims were later supported when the former head of operations for the Australian Federal Police's internal investigation unit, Ray Cooper, claimed that it was well known within the AFP that some passengers were unwittingly being used to transfer drugs between domestic airports in Australia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schapelle_Corby

I strongly suggest that people flying to countries such as Indonesia use the services of the bag wrappers and check their bags carefully before proceeding to customs.

I don't know if she was guilty or not, but drugs are planted and we have to protect ourselves against such.

3 hours ago, johnnysunshine said:

Yes to all of the above but let us not just make one plant put in the ground by God when our Planet Earth was created, let us make all plants illegal to sell to be fair.    

Many of us (possibly not in this group) are actually aware of the amazing healing potential of cannabis as possibly the greatest cure for cancer and other diseases (possibly not in this group).

We can wonder who gains when we send someone to prison for selling cancer cures now that our information is updated as it is in many countries like Holland, Canda, Portugal, we can join together to bring new light to this plant which has received so much negative publicity.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/03/09/medical-cannabis.aspx?e_cid=20140309Z3_PRSNL_Art_1&utm_source=prmrsnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20140309Z3&et_cid=DM41920&et_rid=450241027

Yes, we supposedly have "democracy", but keep electing hateful people that want to criminalise everything they can. Sad.

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I strongly suggest that people flying to countries such as Indonesia use the services of the bag wrappers and check their bags carefully before proceeding to customs.

I don't know if she was guilty or not, but drugs are planted and we have to protect ourselves against such.

of course she was guilty, it was stated last night on tv she admitted to it to an inmate ...

Drug users, pushers, addicts, should have Philippines president to deal with .....  lol

:shock1:

10 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Are you all old grumpy guys who do not understand today life ? Sending someone to jail for weed is plain ridiculous and the ones that should be killed are the prosecutors !

drug users and addicts and pushers wreck lives ..... they deserve jail and worse ...imo..

...  it's the law. 

15 minutes ago, steven100 said:

drug users and addicts and pushers wreck lives ..... they deserve jail and worse ...imo..

...  it's the law. 

If governments saw the light and made all drugs legal, there would be no pushers.

It's our lives- if someone wants to kill themselves with heroin, who is anyone else to tell them no? 

Portugal has proved the case for legality.

39 minutes ago, tifino said:

I was in Malaysia, back when Barlow and Chambers were hanged for Dada (Ganga) carrying...

EDIT - Note that the initial carrier was Virgin (also equates with my Non-Indo carrier theorum) 

They were excuted for heroin