Thai Military Medals

oldsailor35

Can anyone tell me the meaning of the Military medals worn by PM Prayuth Chan-Ochra.  I see that he wears the 'obligatory Paratroop wings' as worn by almost all army officers and policemen. However i would like to know about his other medals, campaigns he fought and bravery awards etc., he appears to have seen  lot of action in his day.

Thank you.

mrjlh's link is about as good as you need to compare.

weird! some photos 5 medals, some 9, others with 12 medals

ANZMI would love this, as a paperwork exercise

wearing medals, yes okay

- but is he retired from Service? seeing as he's a politician now

Even ex-service, if you are now a civvie, you can't don a current uniform, which he's apparently still doing so

5 hours ago, tifino said:

wearing medals, yes okay

Even ex-service, if you are now a civvie, you can't don a current uniform, which he's apparently still doing so

All police/army can do this - whether it be Prayuth (army), Thaksin (police)...it is similar if you do your phd, your known as a Dr, rather than a Mr or Mrs. If you were police/army you are known as your rank, rather than a Mr for life. Whether it is journalists addressing you, or the electricity company writing you a letter. As they remain in that position for life they are entitled to wear the uniform from my understanding. The same way they can also continue to have/carry guns without any complications as civilians.

My father in law spent  his life in the army, and now is a Mayor. He also wears his army gear on his public servant uniform. For example, at the last Mayor awards, everyone receiving awards were addressed the usual way by the government, but the father in law was addressed by his military rank (even though he is a Mayor, in a room full of other Mayors, at a Mayor ceremony). Even the bank teller addresses him once they see his  ID. Just how things are done here.

Although he doesn't wear the uniform...too hot lol (but does carry). I am sure many would probably still enjoy wearing it though.

Edited by wildewillie89

yeah, that is the bottom line of it - (...enjoying wearing it:smile: 

don't know about within the civil (police) side of it, but from the military anyone retiring with the rank and above of LtCmdr(navy)/Major(army)/SqnLdr(airforce) or equivalents,

all get the privilege of keeping the use of the title for life.

Sort of like a Post Nominal, or in this case a Pre-Nominal to their name.

Medals yes can be worn on civil dress for occasion, same as on uniform, as they are bestowed upon them by the Govt of the day, reflecting one's honours, awards and achievements.

Ribbons for daily wear; Full size medals for Official Ceremony; and Miniatures for Civil Functions such as formal dinners and the like.

Wearing of the current uniform by someone not actually serving (full or part time) in the respective service depicted by that uniform, is still a bit over the top though,

unless it is during the direct participation in some military commemoration (marching).

Even so, one would expect the wearing only of the medals, and, say, a beret i.e. Green beret, SAS beret, Navy Seal etc etc

Any more than that is ego.

...getting flashbacks of Rambo putting his stripes back on... 

... and gun

9 hours ago, tifino said:

yeah, that is the bottom line of it - (...enjoying wearing it:smile: 

don't know about within the civil (police) side of it, but from the military anyone retiring with the rank and above of LtCmdr(navy)/Major(army)/SqnLdr(airforce) or equivalents,

all get the privilege of keeping the use of the title for life.

Sort of like a Post Nominal, or in this case a Pre-Nominal to their name.

Medals yes can be worn on civil dress for occasion, same as on uniform, as they are bestowed upon them by the Govt of the day, reflecting one's honours, awards and achievements.

Ribbons for daily wear; Full size medals for Official Ceremony; and Miniatures for Civil Functions such as formal dinners and the like.

Wearing of the current uniform by someone not actually serving (full or part time) in the respective service depicted by that uniform, is still a bit over the top though,

unless it is during the direct participation in some military commemoration (marching).

Even so, one would expect the wearing only of the medals, and, say, a beret i.e. Green beret, SAS beret, Navy Seal etc etc

Any more than that is ego.

...getting flashbacks of Rambo putting his stripes back on... 

... and gun

Yes, I can agree with you in many things. But, remember, this is Thailand. From memory, even my brother in law, who is not a high rank, has that title. My father in law was a Colonel before taking early retirement at 50 to become Mayor (should have stayed in Army considering recent events - probably would be a General now). He carries a gun wherever he goes, as does my uncle/his brother (similar rank in police). - who said army and police cant get along in Thai lol. 

As the rank remains for life, even when retired many are still very much involved with what's going on (almost as if you're still in the army). The father in law is constantly getting phone calls from the  army, or if they want to build bases in certain places they will go to 'retired' people who know the different cities best. Obviously have their line groups discussing laws, events etc. And they retain that respect from current members, as one, their titles demands it, and two, usually those current members in the high rank now worked closely with the retired members before so have close relationships. So many probably feel they are still in army (have title, talk to members on a daily basis, receive their army pension etc).

Edited by wildewillie89

Here you go . . . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders,_decorations,_and_medals_of_Thailand

Left breast, top to bottom : 

• Army Para wings Master Jumper (not to be confused with the standard practice-jump-from-the-tower-into-the-sandpit wings that everyone gets from their time in the cadets). 

The ribbons on his left breast are mostly commemorative gongs for special occasions and honourable orders bestowed by the Royal family, but a couple of medals for bravery stand out : 

• The "Protector of Freedom" medal (stripey red with a flame burst) is a medal for the campaign against the armed communist insurgency.
  • The black one with the sceptre going across horizontally is for gallantry in action. 

I can't make out the emblem on little black miniature ammo pouch insignia, but it is probably from a Guards regiment. 

Right breast top to bottom : 

• Miniature of Army Staff College badge.
  • Queen's Tiger badge (ostensibly a military skills arduous course similar to the ranger course but with the implication of fealty to the Queen in particular).
  • Army Ranger badge (modelled on the US Army Rangers course).

Edited by Trembly

22 hours ago, tifino said:

wearing medals, yes okay

As PM he is a technically still a servant of HM in HM's Government, hence the white dress uniforms and khaki "No. 2" uniforms that he and his cabinet sometimes wear. 

The Royal Thai Government regards all permanent members, armed or civilian, as "Kharachagan" which translates into "Royal Servant / In Royal Government Service" and is used as a blanket term for anyone who is a fully fledged member of the civil service or armed services. As far as uniform regulations are concerned he just did a branch transfer and so is entitled to wear his army decorations on his civil service uniform, as are his military ministers.

Edited by Trembly

thanks for some facts there Trembly.

I have read he actually retired from the Forces back in Sept 2014

and having a civil service getup is logical, seeing as even lowly school teachers etc wear respective uniform-like attire