Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Twenty billion baht tram projects set to transform Pattaya!

webfact

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I will show this to my wife tonight. She works for Germans building this stuff. My guess is that project is in the fantasy stage.

Most probably it'll not a German company building this project; more like a Chinese company.....Xiemens?

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

what's wrong with development and building infrastructure, creating jobs, moving forward, and anything to ease traffic congestion has to be good. but it probably won't come to fruition anyway so don't worry. Stay in Khon Kaen.

I just reread your post, and i thought that you were against the tram idea.I always admit when i am wrong, so please accept my apology. But rest assured, i am not worried, and have every intention of staying in Khon Kaen.I lived there for 10 years,and after 1 year of living here, i fully understand why i moved.

Not surprised. When an unelected, totalitarian regime lays down a dictate (new routes &  stops) and their subjects (baht bus mafia) give them the bird, this is the result. The ฿20b revenge card.

4 hours ago, garbolino said:

trolley buses

Oh yes trolley buses. Now you're talking!!

I can recall them 50 odd years ago in Barking and Ilford. The company that ran the whole network throughout London was one of the biggest bus companies in the world in those times.

Trolley buses were at their best when there were straight runs without bends, or turns, in the road. I think the propose Pattata route might be too twisty-turny.

As youngsters we would sit at the corner of Longbridge Road and Ilford lane to watch the daily shenanigans. This spot would allow the best view when the driver had to jump out, frantically run to the shop and get a long pole when the trolley became dislodged. After prizing the trolley back on he would then continue on his route. He had to rush as the next bus could not pass the stopped one. (An insight into my misspent youth in the 1950s).

Thailand is stuck is a quasi-progress mode. The junta hankering for a past with no change and the young people, with their technology,  pushing onward and upward.

This could be just what Thailand is looking for. Sort of backward progress.

Bring the trolley buses back I say; along with KKD's sea food stalls.

16 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Trams on the beach road, great. I hope the pubs start serving pints of mild and get a few sea food stalls outside, serving Jellied Eels and crusty bread.

Mmmm.  Tram tracks, won't that be nice grooves in the road which presumably will still be shared by the vast quantity of motorbikes running around town?  We should see even more accidents with bike wheels getting caught in them not to mention how slippery they will be when wet.

On 5/30/2017 at 7:08 AM, WhizBang said:

This would actually be great, if it were ever to be completed AND operational.  I wonder if they have figured out how they will keep the tracks free of cars?  And what about maintenance?   Do they have a maintenance budget?

But at least it's a good idea, and practical too.  I wonder how much the fares will be? 

They start with the wrong line, they should start with the blue line first, that will really transform Pattaya into a modernised city fast and upgrade that part of the city that has really a lot of potential for business investments.  It would be even better if they brought the line past sukhumvit to near the train tracks and trainstation allowing future investments to upgrade the 
traintrack or even a high speed train. A lot of potential for citizens in Bangkok to travel to Pattaya by train cheap. And again, even important for all the cities in between. 

They really don't see the big picture, do they?

Keeping cars of the tracks isn't that hard, rather how are you going to redirect traffic and avoid congestion.  
A good organised line will pay its own maintenance as it will be used very frequently, but how will fare collection happen? Will they be using the same 
methods as they use for the mrt or the bts? Will it be possible to make it subscription based for a flat fee? 20 baht a trip? 50 baht per hour? 1000 baht per month?

On 5/30/2017 at 8:57 AM, jesimps said:

Garbage idea. Baht buses are brilliant. Always availabe and cheap.

Less polution, light rail or trams can be inexpensive, as long as they have sufficient passenger numbers or enough people with monthly flat fee subscriptions.

4 hours ago, kwan said:

That pic is great.

What I'd like to see are a couple of monks flicking water everywhere walking in front of a pair of buffalo pulling the tram. Sort of keeping the 20BIll Baht plan in context. Someone must have the photoshop skills to produce that. Perhaps with city officials following behind smiling.

Perhaps  a cartoon along these lines.

21 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

But they first need start finish beach nourishment project,high speed trains 6 lines,bali hai park dotted with marinas and fix road sscc.btw in pattaya hardly any taxis i guess u never been here from the naive way u write.Its easy to draw up some plans but to realize them is another story especially with insufficient budget.

Yes, I have lived there and have visited for many years.  And yes I know what I said.  It was a tongue in cheek response to the article; the corruption is too deep to allow for any logical city planning to become reality without somebody from the top of the heap to ride the project to completion.

But we can dream, right?  LOL

21 hours ago, newnative said:

There are 3 tunnels planned. This is only the first one.

They do not seem to have started work on any of the other two yet and all the heavy equipment has certainly been removed. Where the current tunnel ends , and where one needs to start to get under the North Rd junction is also rather a short distance. So the plan was to create 9 years of chaos rather than say 4 or 5?

21 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

They do not seem to have started work on any of the other two yet and all the heavy equipment has certainly been removed. Where the current tunnel ends , and where one needs to start to get under the North Rd junction is also rather a short distance. So the plan was to create 9 years of chaos rather than say 4 or 5?

Chaos will never end. Overhead wire mess, Substructure, infrastructure, sewer problems and the chaos they will create will be TVF topics  the next 20 years.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I don't know when the construction on the other 2 projected tunnels will start.  The longest tunnel is the one planned to go under South Pattaya and Thepprasit Road.  Hopefully, there will be better prep work done on traffic managementwith the next tunnels before construction starts. 

On 5/30/2017 at 10:08 PM, billybog said:

.so what makes you think they will leave an entire lane open for the tram...when the tram is out of sight?  unless they do something extreme for that lane so that cars can not access the lane...it will be business as normal.

Houston light rail has these raised lumps to keep conventional wheeled traffic out of the tram lanes where there are shared streets. Having clipped them a few times, I know they are a deterrent.

I would assume the Pattaya tram line would be nearest the beach (the new 'fast' lane) so that there's no need for breaks in these barriers where they pass the side sois.

HLR3.jpg.b8e3da137d7505735497da7411bbf159.jpg

On 5/31/2017 at 8:07 AM, newnative said:

There are 3 tunnels planned. This is only the first one.

When all this kicked off over 4 years ago, three tunnels were 'suggested' not planned. Only this one will be completed.

42 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

When all this kicked off over 4 years ago, three tunnels were 'suggested' not planned. Only this one will be completed.

Good to know--thanks.  I was relying on a big table map of Pattaya at City Hall that showed the 3 tunnels. 

On 5/30/2017 at 6:03 PM, Juan B Tong said:

Looks like the Blue line will go right down Soi Arunothai.  Ha ha.  Using the existing road. Ha ha ha.

You can't get down the Soi now during rush hour.

This is all too funny.

...unless they make it tram only?

27 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Nice pictures. What has that got to do with your contention?

Just like the search says "tram turning radius"

There is not enough room for a tram to turn without flattening

a bunch of real estate,on a beach road 2nd road loop..

But

A strait tram that just goes up and down beach road would

be pretty easy to build....

1 hour ago, fforest1 said:

But

I would flatten all the fat&ugly rhino bars and Indian tailor joints on the right side of beach rd right before the Walking street entrance to have a nice and beautiful radius!:cheesy:

I have no idea who the hell wears these shiny ,cheap, odd-colored shirts in the scorching Pattaya sun anyway but that's a whole another topic!

On 5/31/2017 at 3:04 PM, gmac said:

Mmmm.  Tram tracks, won't that be nice grooves in the road which presumably will still be shared by the vast quantity of motorbikes running around town?  We should see even more accidents with bike wheels getting caught in them not to mention how slippery they will be when wet.

Quote from UK Daily Express 2nd June 2017 :

Council bosses ignored warnings of tram track danger, claims lawyer in cyclist death row

TRANSPORT Minister Humza Yousaf is to meet safety campaigners after the death of a cyclist whose bike got stuck in tram tracks in Edinburgh.

21 hours ago, fforest1 said:

But

The SRT's airport express doesn't physically turn around underneath Suvarnabhumi.

The Dallas light rail uses turntables to flip the direction of the trains.

5930dc9fdd243_dallasturntable.jpg.f20d7fa9aebb93fd0681dfbbe27329d2.jpg

Archived