Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Twenty billion baht tram projects set to transform Pattaya!

webfact

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Such a tram or trolley could work well in a city like Pattaya, where there are a few major roads where it would make sense to run trams instead of hundreds of smokey baht buses.  Although I would miss what used to be the ease and convenience and flexibility of a baht bus.  But I question greatly the traffic flow, hazards, obstacles in the road, cars blocking the tracks, people blocking the tracks or path, etc.

7 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I think it's a great idea, I hope it will be realized.

I hope it will be the elevated type, something like the sky train in Bangkok.

Sentosa island off Singapore have a nice tram train, or mono rail or whatever you wanna call it.

I think it's a great idea too. I hope it will be like the one on Star trek where they just beam you up.

8 hours ago, Kabula said:

That will put a lot of baht bus operators out of work for sure.

Not necessarily.  The baht buses could drive other routes and serve other areas that have no baht bus service right now and areas that the tram doesn't go to.  I think the tram is a great idea and if they eliminate the parking the roads should handle be able to handle the tram.

3 hours ago, billybog said:

so, slap me if i am wrong here, BUT, it seems the tram is set to run on beach road. Right now, beach road is pretty congested with the sonkaows...does that mean they will be eliminated? or will they just continue as always. If so...seems to me the tram will be stuck in traffic as all other vehicles are...we all know that Thais will take up any open spot on the road..so what makes you think they will leave an entire lane open for the tram...when the tram is out of sight?  unless they do something extreme for that lane so that cars can not access the lane...it will be business as normal.

Exactly! The extreme lack of discipline and responsibility here means this project will never, ever work. 

22 minutes ago, eeyang wah said:

Exactly! The extreme lack of discipline and responsibility here means this project will never, ever work. 

Look u guys make up all these silly non arguments why there can not come trams to Pattaya like protests from song teaws,floating,bla bla there is just one reason why its not coming and that is no m...y

Build the train system much as the BTS in Bangkok. The regular traffic will be less impacted after completion.  The taxis will make out better as they can cover all the train stops and serve more surrounding area. With the congestion now, everyone can image what is will be like in 20 years.  Wouldn't it be sweet to go across town in a relativity safe environment and within minutes instead of fighting traffic with your life in the balance and looking at an hour or more to make it?  It is a no brainer folks!  Pay the tea money and start the project now!

35 minutes ago, waders123 said:

Build the train system much as the BTS in Bangkok. The regular traffic will be less impacted after completion.  The taxis will make out better as they can cover all the train stops and serve more surrounding area. With the congestion now, everyone can image what is will be like in 20 years.  Wouldn't it be sweet to go across town in a relativity safe environment and within minutes instead of fighting traffic with your life in the balance and looking at an hour or more to make it?  It is a no brainer folks!  Pay the tea money and start the project now!

But they first need start finish beach nourishment project,high speed trains 6 lines,bali hai park dotted with marinas and fix road sscc.btw in pattaya hardly any taxis i guess u never been here from the naive way u write.Its easy to draw up some plans but to realize them is another story especially with insufficient budget.

7 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Right, agree 100%.I think the poster who posted it, is a bad idea.

what's wrong with development and building infrastructure, creating jobs, moving forward, and anything to ease traffic congestion has to be good. but it probably won't come to fruition anyway so don't worry. Stay in Khon Kaen.

8 hours ago, eeyang wah said:

Please mods please can we just have an instant ban for people who say "if you don't like it go home".

why , but hey ... have your say. Must be sad to wake up every day having to live in a place that you don't like or like the way it's governed.:shock1: can we ban moaners.

19 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Most of us "expats" will be dead long before it is built , and the way things are going ,the same with the opening of the tunnel

That was my first thought although I do hope to survive to see the tunnel.

It is another project that will be 'cut to save billions' so a few politicians can crow about how much they saved while the public are left with a much less effective white elephant project that serves little purpose. Likely they will revisit the project a decade later deciding to extend it to the original plan. Said politicians out of the picture and living off the fat of the land.

The original Skytrain was like that, didn't go far enough and has now been extended multiple times, the Pattaya tunnel, only bypassing the Klang junction also doesn't go far enough.

A tram.... probably get surrounded and held up by taxis and baht buses.

Recent topics on TvisaF have highlighted the real state of Pattaya; rubbish. decadence,  filth and rats as big as cats. Why not  spend some of the 20 billion baht on cleaning the place up and spend the rest on BKK.

Nothing wrong with development and building infrastructure, create jobs and it can only enhance Pattaya if done properly.

And therein lies the fundamental flaw, "if done properly" if the past and present projects had, or will be done, "properly" Pattaya would be in a far better condition than it is now

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, WhizBang said:

I understand that this must have some drooling.  A 20 BILLION baht project will fill a lot of pockets.  So I would think approval is a sure thing.  Completion, on the other hand, well you pays your money and you takes your chances.

The taxi/baht bus maffioso will surely have something to say about this, and there is the disruption that will occur on the roads involved - think MASSIVE traffic congestion, possibly even worse than the Sukhumvit tunnel. 

Time frame for completion?  Maybe 20 years, and with massive budget overruns, of course.

This would actually be great, if it were ever to be completed AND operational.  I wonder if they have figured out how they will keep the tracks free of cars?  And what about maintenance?   Do they have a maintenance budget?

But at least it's a good idea, and practical too.  I wonder how much the fares will be? 

More practical than buying submarines!!

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

That was my first thought although I do hope to survive to see the tunnel.

It is another project that will be 'cut to save billions' so a few politicians can crow about how much they saved while the public are left with a much less effective white elephant project that serves little purpose. Likely they will revisit the project a decade later deciding to extend it to the original plan. Said politicians out of the picture and living off the fat of the land.

The original Skytrain was like that, didn't go far enough and has now been extended multiple times, the Pattaya tunnel, only bypassing the Klang junction also doesn't go far enough.

A tram.... probably get surrounded and held up by taxis and baht buses.

There are 3 tunnels planned. This is only the first one.

21 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Or even baht buses, there's a novel idea.

How long does someone have to wait now for a baht bus on

the beach road 2nd road circle?

I would guess on average no more than 1 minute ... 

No way a trolley could top this....

And no way can they only charge 10 baht for a ride on a

20 billion baht trolley...

Do you want fast and cheap?

OR

Expensive and slow?

Archived