Repeat of 2011 Thai flood disaster ruled out

webfact

Repeat of 2011 flood disaster ruled out
By THE NATION

101bf9d95af09bb916867be4503f271a.jpg

Rainy spell ‘likely to ease from today’; many rice plantations under water.

AFTER DAYS of heavy rains across all regions of the country, meteorologists have some good news for those who have been suffered from the downpours: most of Thailand will see decreased rainfall over the coming week.

Meanwhile, the Royal Irrigation Department yesterday ruled out the possibility of a severe flooding crisis similar to 2011.

Thongplew Kongjun, the department’s deputy director-general, said the rainfall volume this year was much lower than in 2011 and that there was still a lot of capacity in dams, reservoirs and lakes throughout the country. As of yesterday, no reservoirs had water supply above 80 per cent of capacity, compared to near-capacity levels at almost all dams in 2011.

The Meteorological Depart-ment forecast yesterday that rainfall would decrease in most areas of the country, except in the northern and upper northeastern provinces, from today until June 5.

In its latest statement yesterday, the agency warned of dangers from heavy and cumulative rains, including flash floods in foothills and low-lying areas.

Influenced by Cyclone Mora that covered upper parts of the Bay of Bengal, downpours yesterday hit several areas of Thailand, including the capital which was badly soaked. Provinces in all regions covering more than half of the country were hit by “heavy to very heavy rains”.

However, the Meteorological Department forecast lighter rains from today until next Monday, as the southwest monsoon was becoming weaker during the period. Bangkok and adjacent provinces were forecast to see thundershowers over 40 to 60 per cent of the areas between today and Sunday, compared to 60 to 80 per cent on Monday and yesterday, according to the agency.

Residents of the city suffered from flooding in many areas yesterday, as new rains added to floodwaters from previous days waiting to be released into the drain system. The affected areas included Lat Phrao, Bang Sue, Asok, Chatuchak, Chaeng Wattana and Bang Khen. 

Certain areas of the capital’s satellite provinces, including Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani and Samut Prakan, were also under water yesterday.

Flooding in many areas was mainly blamed on large amounts of garbage and waste that clogged antiquated sewers. 

Crisis situation

In Suphan Buri, more than 70,000 rai of plantations – mainly rice fields – remained inundated following days of heavy rains last week, Deputy Governor Pipob Boontham said yesterday.

He said four districts of the Central Plains province had been heavily affected – Muang, Bang Pla Ma, Song Phi Nong, and U Thong.

The senior provincial official said local authorities were helping the affected farmers by attempting to drain water from their plantations. However, large areas remained inaccessible, even for heavy machinery, due to high levels of floodwater. 

“Assistance could not be brought in due to a sea of floodwater there. We will provide the residents with help whenever we can,” he added.

Meanwhile, the Royal Irrigation Department’s Sixth Regional Office in Khon Kaen was preparing for possible flooding in irrigation areas of five northeastern provinces – Khon Kaen, Roi Et, Maha Sarakham, Kalasin and Chaiyaphum, according to the office’s director, Preecha Janthong.

He said yesterday that due to heavy rains over the past month that came early this year, higher-than-expected amounts of water – 386 million cubic metres – have entered the Ubol Ratana Dam in Khon Kaen, a major reservoir in the Northeast.

With the Meteorological Department forecast of heavy rains in the Northeast over the next week, he said his office was preparing for possible flooding. More water pumps would be installed, canals and reservoirs dredged and weeds removed from waterways as part of the preparation, he added. The Khon Kaen office of the Royal Irrigation Department would be on alert around the clock during heavy rains and when under a crisis situation, the official said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30316774

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-31

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile, the Royal Irrigation Department yesterday ruled out the possibility of a severe flooding crisis similar to 2011.

Given the usual accuracy of government statements of this kind and the depth of water we had in 2011, I've ordered sandbags and a ton of sand.

To be able to categorically rule out any chance of flooding similar to 2011, I assume someone at the meteorological office has a direct hotline to God.

How else could they possibly know how much rain is or isn't going to fall over the next few months?

I wonder if anyone takes any of the stupid predictions from the Government seriously.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

To be able to categorically rule out any chance of flooding similar to 2011, I assume someone at the meteorological office has a direct hotline to God.

How else could they possibly know how much rain is or isn't going to fall over the next few months?

I wonder if anyone takes any of the stupid predictions from the Government seriously.

Oh wait......why Governement and why not the Met Office....and is the Thai Met Office that different from the Met Office in any other country?

Or did you just want to find an excuse to bash governement.

1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

Oh wait......why Governement and why not the Met Office....and is the Thai Met Office that different from the Met Office in any other country?

Or did you just want to find an excuse to bash governement.

Read my post again. The top line says Meteorological office, as I am addressing the issuer of the statement first.. The closing line highlights that stupid predictions of this sort, not backed up with decent factual information is given to us by all branches of Govt. regularly. I stand by my post.

Just now, darksidedog said:

Read my post again. The top line says Meteorological office, as I am addressing the issuer of the statement first.. The closing line highlights that stupid predictions of this sort, not backed up with decent factual information is given to us by all branches of Govt. regularly. I stand by my post.

I saw that, but then you close with, " stupid predictions from the Government"!

If memory serves me right the 2011 flooding didn't really get going until much later in the year. It had hardly rained in May 2011.

My interpretation of the statement from the Meteorological department is that there is unlikely to be any serious flooding on a par with what happened in 2011 for the next week or so.

I do find it a little amusing that the flooding that has occurred already in Krungthep is put down to antiquated and rubbish clogged drainage systems as if that in itself is an act of God. Systems normal, don't do any remedial work or maintenance until absolutely forced to.

2 minutes ago, climbertrev1 said:

If memory serves me right the 2011 flooding didn't really get going until much later in the year. It had hardly rained in May 2011.

My interpretation of the statement from the Meteorological department is that there is unlikely to be any serious flooding on a par with what happened in 2011 for the next week or so.

I do find it a little amusing that the flooding that has occurred already in Krungthep is put down to antiquated and rubbish clogged drainage systems as if that in itself is an act of God. Systems normal, don't do any remedial work or maintenance until absolutely forced to.

Agreed, the 2011 floods in the North were in September.

Edited by simoh1490

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

One day I will be surprised when somebody has something positive to say about the government. I wonder why we stay in Thailand at all. Better not to read the negative posts on tv and just enjoy life. ??

13 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Agreed, the 2011 floods in the North were in September.

I'm sure we can find a way to blame this on the Shinawatras and the PTP? 

I think the problems for Bangkok occur when the reservoirs in the North, Northeast and Central regions are at/near/over capacity, and they have let more water out (millions of gallons per second, or whatever) than down-country waterways can "absorb". Not sure we're close to that situation presently given the current averages, but if this level of precipitation continues it may in 4 ~ 6 months?

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_dam_1.php?lang=en

http://www.thaiwater.net/web/index.php/en.html

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Given the usual accuracy of government statements of this kind and the depth of water we had in 2011, I've ordered sandbags and a ton of sand.

Yep once they start saying it wont happen we have to worry :smile:. However it seems they are much more on the ball than before. They seem to understand this time that they do need to release water before not when its too late. That was one of the major contributing factors in 2011.

I did check my wading suit recently, I do know if i feel a repeat coming im gone for a month.. I dont want to live through it again. 

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I'm sure we can find a way to blame this on the Shinawatras and the PTP? 

I think the problems for Bangkok occur when the reservoirs in the North, Northeast and Central regions are at/near/over capacity, and they have let more water out (millions of gallons per second, or whatever) than down-country waterways can "absorb". Not sure we're close to that situation presently given the current averages, but if this level of precipitation continues it may in 4 ~ 6 months?

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_dam_1.php?lang=en

http://www.thaiwater.net/web/index.php/en.html

No way to blame the Shins for this, I would if I could :sleepy:

Your right its about releasing water when they can't release it. So as long as they don't do the stupid thing the goverment at the time did (telling them to hold on to the water to save the rice harvest). We will be fine. There would have been floods in 2011 anyway but releasing all the water at the wrong time is what made it a lot worse. 

However this government has already been releasing water (see other topics) so it seems they are far more conscious of the problem then before. People tend to learn from mistakes. Now sometimes flooding can't be avoided if they give the right information about it that would also be a great plus. The cost of 2011 was huge here in the village (just north of BKK) because the government lied and did not disclose all the information. Many cars were flooded as they believed that it would not happen. We were lucky had our car parked at a condo of a friend as we did not use it all the time and did not want to risk it. Many however lost their car here. Also we had to stay here for almost 2 months because they had not told us the flooding would come.. so we did not move.. when it came we could not move because of the dogs (nobody would take dogs) . 

The worst part was that the government had all the information (satellite images and small planes that could see the water moving) but failed to share / admit how bad it was not to lose face. This cost many people a lot of money. I can still remember the resentment here and discussions we had. I also remember the praise for the army who helped us. I can only hope that this government does not lie or withhold information. Its never nice to get flooded.. but if you get flooded without the information you need its far more expensive and frustrating.

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Lucky you haven't got an inground swimming pool. The water slide will come in handy in the future when the submarine comes to rescue.

The 2011 flood build up over many months. In end of June 2011 central areas started to flood and by middle September 2011 the lower areas in Bkk started to flood. If the flood is not repeated it will not be due to the government doing anything to prevent it but just due not enough rain falling. With the new storm moving in the situation can suddenly change. 

2 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

The 2011 flood build up over many months. In end of June 2011 central areas started to flood and by middle September 2011 the lower areas in Bkk started to flood. If the flood is not repeated it will not be due to the government doing anything to prevent it but just due not enough rain falling. With the new storm moving in the situation can suddenly change. 

As long as they keep the dams on good levels so they don't have to add water to a already bad flood things will be ok. Everyone knows that that was the major contribution in making it worse.. having to release all the extra water on the worst possible time. This government seems to be much more keyed into that. Seems people have learned from mistakes of the past. Like you said.. you can't avoid some flooding if the weather is bad.. but you can make sure it does not get a lot worse by having to release water. I hope they keep a safe margin and not worry too much about a drought. 

We will see, as I was flooded in 2011 and still live in the same place I keep an eye out. But only a flood like that has ever affected this area. So in general with good governance the chances of flood here are slim. But at some area's even with good governance the chances of flooding are high. 

Unlike in 2011 at least the Govt isn't ordering the dams to NOT release water:

2011: I ordered a delay in the release of water from dam : Theera

Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut yesterday acknowledged that the controversial decision to delay the release of water from the country's major dams had been made by the government.. “I admit ordering a delay in the release of water into the plains areas so that farmers could harvest their crops first,” he said.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/aec/30169695

Related: Thailand: Crisis in Thai Rice Pledging Scheme

The Thai government, led by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, implemented the rice pledging scheme immediately after the 2011 election

http://www.loc.gov/law/foreign-news/article/thailand-crisis-in-thai-rice-pledging-scheme/

Thankfully, there's no rice scheme/scam 'priority' this year either, thus no reason to purposely order dams NOT to do preventative controlled draining. Also thankfully, last week the current Govt announced they would be doing controlled release of dams in advance of this week's downpours. Thus, due to El Nino departing, a very heavy rainy season 'could' still cause floods but at least we know the current Govt is being pro-active, versus the criminally negligent / purposely non-active Govt in the past.

Edited by sujoop

We all feel so much better now that this pseudo government has given us their assurances. Thanks for the vote of confidence. Nothing but truth coming from Bangkok these days. The level of earnestness is always reassuring. Never an agenda. Just pure nobility, and righteousness. 

And on top of all of that goodness, you can add in psychic ability, and the talent of peering into the future, and knowing what will come. Or will the Little man order the atmosphere to stop producing rain, under the threat of attitude adjustment?

Edited by spidermike007