Farewell Pattaya

thaibeachlovers

2 hours ago, balo said:

For me it was the lack of good western food. I am not a Thai food lover much so in CM you have very few options compared to Pattaya . Sure you can find French and Italian restaurants but they are overpriced because there's literally no competition .

Then add the night life which is very dull up there   

But I loved the mountains  and the cooler climate .  Still not enough to make me want to live there for good. 

How long were you in CM for? How long ago? There are plenty of places with Western food. There's French, Italian, German, Vietnamese, Chinese, Spanish, American. Quite a few Thai restaurants put Western food on their menus, and some do it quite well. There's one Thai restaurant on Mahidol Road that does a spaghetti marinara to die for - as long as you tell them mai pet.

I've been here for 8 years now. Perhaps you did not cast your net wide enough.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, balo said:

Stayed 6 months in CM and life were prety dull up there, but enjoyed the short winter season. You will miss Pattaya soon enough.

Missing it already.

I didn't visit W S every night, but it was always immensely interesting whenever I did.

Here in C M Loi Kroh Rd is hardly an equivalent.

10 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

How long were you in CM for? How long ago? There are plenty of places with Western food. There's French, Italian, German, Vietnamese, Chinese, Spanish, American. Quite a few Thai restaurants put Western food on their menus, and some do it quite well. There's one Thai restaurant on Mahidol Road that does a spaghetti marinara to die for - as long as you tell them mai pet.

I've been here for 8 years now. Perhaps you did not cast your net wide enough.

I'm looking forward to eating at Gekko Garden tonight. They make soup to die for- best I ever had. Plenty of western food in there.

• Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm looking forward to eating at Gekko Garden tonight. They make soup to die for- best I ever had. Plenty of western food in there.

Gekko Garden would be quite good if it didn't have that foul-smelling canal right next to it.I prefer Butter is Better on ChangKhlan Road, air-conditioned as well.

>> Good luck- you are really going to need it.  You will also need some luck coming back up here in the North lol .Was it Lampoon or Lampang you lived before ?

Also cheaper long term accommodation ,and more genuine people ,both Thai and the few Western left  .

I do not agree with that, remember Pattaya / Banglamung is a big area , genuine people both here and in CM, you just need to find them and stay away from the worst night life areas. And you can get a studio for 5000 baht near Sukhumvit, I didn't see much difference in prices between Pattaya and CM. Maybe the city centre is cheaper but I wouldnt want to live there , air quality is really bad because of all the traffic.

24 minutes ago, anto said:

>> Good luck- you are really going to need it.<<

You will also need some luck coming back up here in the North lol .Was it Lampoon or Lampang you lived before ?

Traffic in Chiang Mai is now very congested .Unless you live in the old City or have a Scooter getting around is going to be difficult .C.M. is lacking in a decent transport system .The Baht busses /Songthaews are few and far between and will cost you twice the Pattaya rate . Old bar ladies ? Plenty of them up here also but confined to just one street.Massage / huge numbers of them up here in the Center of town .Chinese ? Don't you know Chiang Mai has become a mecca for Chinese .Hawkers ? very few up here is one good point .Also cheaper long term accommodation ,and more genuine people ,both Thai and the few Western left  .Pappa ? Its an age thing .When i lived in Jomtien /Pattaya 8 years ago ,i was first called Handsome man ,but suddenly when i reached 55 years of age it turned to Pappa .THE SAME SAME  up here in C.M. Anyway good luck in your move .Its still a good place if you dont need a wild night life .

I lived in Lamphun.

I intend to walk as much as possible- I need the exercise. Have to deal with consequences of buffet breakfasts every day for a month :smile:.

I hope they still have the free shuttles to the malls. If so I'll be heading to Central and Promenada occasionally.

Yes Pattaya baht buses are brilliant.

2 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Gekko Garden would be quite good if it didn't have that foul-smelling canal right next to it.I prefer Butter is Better on ChangKhlan Road, air-conditioned as well.

Can't say as I noticed the smell, but I'll check out Butter. Thanks.

>>For me it was the lack of good western food. I am not a Thai food lover much so in CM you have very few options compared to Pattaya .<<

As Bazza replied ,there are now plenty of food options in Chiang mai .Just near my suburb in Meechok Plaza ,you have Farang Kellys ,breakfast ,fish and chips etc .Sausage King near by (UK ) Korean,Vitnamese ,Japanese .In the Old City ,Cheerls ,(Dutch ) ,UN (Irish ) Number one bar /restaurant (Belgian ) ,Johns ,Loco Elvis (Mexican ) and if you must ,McDonalds ,Burger King ,KFC and Sizzler etc .

Me i mostly eat at home .Sometimes buy a ready made meal at the market for B30 to B40 .

Edited by anto

21 hours ago, champers said:

Try Hua Hin. Hotels near the Hilton are cheap and plentiful. More of a laid back vibe there. Worth a week's visit.

If that's for me, I'm not in C M because I want to be here, it's something unfortunately unavoidable.

Just now, anto said:

>>For me it was the lack of good western food. I am not a Thai food lover much so in CM you have very few options compared to Pattaya .<<

As Bazza replied ,there are now plenty of food options in Chiang mai .Just near my suburb in Meechok Plaza ,you have Farang Kellys ,breakfast ,fish and chips etc .Sausage King near by (UK ) Korean,Vitnamese ,Japanese .In the Old City ,Cheerls ,(Dutch ) ,UN (Irish ) Number one bar /restaurant (Belgian ) ,Johns ,Loco Elvis (Mexican ) and if you must ,McDonalds ,Burger King ,KFC and Sizzler etc .

Me i mostly eat at home .Sometimes buy a ready made meal at the market for B30 to B40 .

7 11 sell a decent range of instant meals at 30 to 35 baht or so. They'll even heat them while one waits. Good way to save money. No need for outraged replies- I know it's not "real food".

7 hours ago, JSixpack said:

I suspect the motivation has something to do w/ the ex for whom he's bought property in the past. Coming back with tail between legs perhaps. Well, Pattaya's loss is Chiang Mai's gain, eh :biggrin:. May mean less whinging on this forum anyway.

No chance. I may be physically in C M but my heart is still on W S :smile:.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

7 11 sell a decent range of instant meals at 30 to 35 baht or so. They'll even heat them while one waits. Good way to save money. No need for outraged replies- I know it's not "real food".

Now and again i buy a burger from 7/11 for  B25  ,to quench a hunger pang till proper meal time .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No chance. I may be physically in C M but my heart is still on W S :smile:.

If i feel nostalgic i look at a youtube video of Pattaya .Much easier than going there ;-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

The longer I live the more I understand the words to the song 

"the more I see the less I know, so I just let it go." 

One thing disturbing about TV is the amount of people that like to criticize, judge, and condemn others to make themselves feel superior. Sad for you and don't take offense as you have your life figured out and are happy just leave the mean comments off your verbiage for the rest of us fat guys getting sex every day and enjoying our life as we and our egos choose to live it.  Peace ?

Stings doesn't it? :smile:

1 hour ago, balo said:

I stayed for 6 months, just came back from CM in April.

I looked for cheap western restaurants where you can buy a dish for 100 - 200 baht or get a decent breakfast with coffee for 99 baht .I did not find it in unless you want Asian food or pasta. I did find some run down place where the quality was really poor.

In Pattaya the competition is very high, most places are owned by British, German or Scandinavians so you can eat genuine western food very cheap here.

Believe me I tried really hard to find similar places in CM, both inside the city and outside. Thai food and vegetarian , yes CM is good for that. And coffee.....

And Gekko garden ? , what a sxxxhole .

Butter is Better is in that price range. My favourites there are the pea and ham soup, 120 baht for a light meal, or their bangers and mash for 195 baht - very filling. Portions are usually generous.

I  very much doubt it would be possible to get a decent breakfast in CM for 99 baht. O'Malley's in the Anusarn Market used to do a regular breakfast - juice, toast, eggs, bacon or sausage, potato, coffee - for 120 baht. They jacked the price up to 180 baht, and lost some customers. When they raised it again to 220 baht, I concluded they really didn't want my business, so I started cooking breakfast eggs in my condo instead.

I don't have much experience of Pattaya. I was there in the 1990's.  I do find decent food in Bangkok quite expensive.

>>I  very much doubt it would be possible to get a decent breakfast in CM for 99 baht. <<

Same in Pattaya i would think .The best breakfast available when i lived in Jomtien 8 years ago was at Papa David ,by the Hanuman statue ( since gone i heard ) for around B120 .The best breakfast currently near where i live in Chiang Mai is at the Sausage King garden restaurant for B129 .

2 hours ago, anto said:

Same in Pattaya i would think

Nope, plenty of offers around , and the best of them all is Deli Diner opposite Tukcom 

99 baht for this British breakfast , with 2 toasts, bacon, sausages, eggs, beans, tomato, fried potato. Coffee and juice included. 

99-baht.jpg

Having said that , I also prefer to cook at home , but this breakfast at Deli Diner is real value for money, coffee is good too.  

Let's face it , Chiang Mai can't compete at all , yes they do have some good restaurants if you don't care about your budget .  

Edited by balo
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, balo said:

Nope, plenty of offers around , and the best of them all is Deli Diner opposite Tukcom 

99 baht for this British breakfast , with 2 toasts, bacon, sausages, eggs, beans, tomato, fried potato. Coffee and juice included. 

99-baht.jpg

Having said that , I also prefer to cook at home , but this breakfast at Deli Diner is real value for money, coffee is good too.  

Yes that looks good ,and a great price .

• Like 2

On 6/1/2017 at 10:12 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

If that's for me, I'm not in C M because I want to be here, it's something unfortunately unavoidable.

So! your buggering off in a Northerly direction?

Via Condeus (condias, i cant remember) Hope you enjoy CM, as much you did Patts. And if you will lost to the CM forum. Good luck my friend. I have enjoyed our little chats.

I hope that the reason that is unavoidable, will

be sorted with all haste and no pain.

Take care and stay safe

KKD

Just now, Khon Kaen Dave said:

So! your buggering off in a Northerly direction?

Via Condeus (condias, i cant remember) Hope you enjoy CM, as much you did Patts. And if you will lost to the CM forum. Good luck my friend. I have enjoyed our little chats.

I hope that the reason that is unavoidable, will

be sorted with all haste and no pain.

Take care and stay safe

KKD

Sob sob, yes unavoidable.

However, in fairness to Chiang Mai, I like Central Airport better than Central Beach in Pattaya, and they provide a free shuttle.

Overall, I think prices are slightly cheaper up north and the non BGs are DDG.

Unfortunately the night scene is a joke for anyone been in Pattaya. Loi Kroh Rd- a sad almost dead version of a Pattaya barbeer area. I went into the boxing ring complex and many barbeers were shuttered, and hardly any bars had customers.

The road itself has a few barbeers, but with few customers, and many massage places also very quiet.

To be fair though, the customer base isn't the same as Pattaya- mainly bagpackers far as I can see, and loads of Chinese that don't go in barbeers.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sob sob, yes unavoidable.

However, in fairness to Chiang Mai, I like Central Airport better than Central Beach in Pattaya, and they provide a free shuttle.

Overall, I think prices are slightly cheaper up north and the non BGs are DDG.

Unfortunately the night scene is a joke for anyone been in Pattaya. Loi Kroh Rd- a sad almost dead version of a Pattaya barbeer area. I went into the boxing ring complex and many barbeers were shuttered, and hardly any bars had customers.

The road itself has a few barbeers, but with few customers, and many massage places also very quiet.

To be fair though, the customer base isn't the same as Pattaya- mainly bagpackers far as I can see, and loads of Chinese that don't go in barbeers.

Well, that's it then. With your glowing recommendation of the place, i will do my best to avoid it.Does the tumble weed roll across the main sois there? Anyway, i still say take care and stay safe, Oh! and do feel free to pop in once in a while. Don't y'all be a stranger now, y;hear.

Just now, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Well, that's it then. With your glowing recommendation of the place, i will do my best to avoid it.Does the tumble weed roll across the main sois there? Anyway, i still say take care and stay safe, Oh! and do feel free to pop in once in a while. Don't y'all be a stranger now, y;hear.

I'll be back!

Edited by thaibeachlovers