Maya Mall, neighbour from hell

daoyai

I made the mistake of signing a long term lease on an apt. near Maya, I knew they had loud music bars on the roof but was assured the law required them to close at midnight... they often stay open and very noisy until 1:30 am.   Is this legal ?  I have had enough and may have to lose my large deposit and relocate again. ... where can i learn about the specifics of this law and if if Maya is in violation?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if you go take a beating from the goons and post it on FB,they will be forced to close.  I know some musicians that play up there, and they will be the first to tell you drink prices are a ripoff, and they don't drink while playing there.  Noise issues are everywhere.  I would rather hear bar noise than dog packs.

By law, any bars should close by midnight. However, most bars ignore it.

I had the same problem when I lived near Kad Suan Kaew and the bar opposite blast their speakers way past midnight. When I asked them to lower the volume, those xxx refused to do so.

I did phone police but they couldn't understand simple English at all and my Thai is also too basic for them to understand my complaint.

If you know of any Thai friends, ask them to call police for you.

Enforcement and language issue is a problem in Thailand.

Edited by EricTh

11 hours ago, EricTh said:

Enforcement and language issue is a problem in Thailand.

Police are well aware of what's going on, and are happy to get some extra income from those venues.

Just now, XGM said:

Police are well aware of what's going on, and are happy to get some extra income from those venues.

Do you mean those bars give 'protection' money to the police?

Stay and suck it up or move and lose the deposit.

It's a crappy location anyway, especially if you have to go through that intersection  going to and from your house.

Edited by Rob13

55 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

Wow, move in next to a bar and then complain about the noise. Will your next trick being moving to the end of the airport runway and then complaining about the aircraft noise? 

In all fairness, Maya is known as a shopping mall, not a nightlife destination.  It was open several months before I knew there were bars there.  One has to look for them, the bars aren't hard to find but are not immediately obvious to the casual visitor.

On the other hand, anyone looking for a quiet place in Thailand should know it needs to be far from cities, and far from households that have chickens.  It's easier to get used to the noise.

3 minutes ago, heybruce said:

In all fairness, Maya is known as a shopping mall, not a nightlife destination.  It was open several months before I knew there were bars there.  One has to look for them, the bars aren't hard to find but are not immediately obvious to the casual visitor.

On the other hand, anyone looking for a quiet place in Thailand should know it needs to be far from cities, and far from households that have chickens.  It's easier to get used to the noise.

>> and far from households that have chickens. <<

or dogs .A lot of Thai people seem to have a herd of dogs not just one .

In all reasonableness noise from Maya has been a repeated much discussed issue from almost day one.

It is a well known old issue.

41 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

In all reasonableness noise from Maya has been a repeated much discussed issue from almost day one.

It is a well known old issue.

Another repeated and much discussed issue has been bar closings at midnight, which has been, with few exceptions, the rule since the coup.  The OP clearly stated he assumed it would apply to the Maya bars.

Another repeated and much discussed issue has been bar closings at midnight, which has been, with few exceptions, the rule since the coup.  The OP clearly stated he assumed it would apply to the Maya bars.

Yeh and it has been well known that midnight closing has never been enforced across the board. Enforcement has been selective.

Many, not few, exceptions.

So he made an assumption in face of compelling contrary facts. Not prudent.

3 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Yeh and it has been well known that midnight closing has never been enforced across the board. Enforcement has been selective.

Many, not few, exceptions.

So he made an assumption in face of compelling contrary facts. Not prudent.

Really? Tawan Daeng and Spicy are the only places I'm aware of that brazenly stay open after midnight.  There are many others that will quietly stay open, behind closed doors, but they are careful to not give neighbors cause to complain. 

Until the OP's post I was not aware that the Maya bars were staying open, and I try to stay on top of this issue.

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

Agree. I didn't know Maya has bars there too. I also didn't know that there was a bar opposite the road at Kad Suan Kaew (on top of 7-11) that blast their speakers when they are supposed to be respectful to the late king.

Ironically, the small bars opened by non-Thai don't blast their speakers out as loud as the Thai bars.

End of the day, the lesson is not to stay near shopping centers or Thai bars.

Edited by EricTh

Would the OP please share the location of the apartment in question.

I like the idea of living near a shopping complex for the obvious convenience, but just how far away regarding noise and traffic is another question.

4 hours ago, Kenerick said:

I like the idea of living near a shopping complex for the obvious convenience, but just how far away regarding noise and traffic is another question.

I assume the condos that face away from Maya will have the same noise issues, but they may have other issues.  Rooms facing south or west get a lot of sun and heat.

5 hours ago, Kenerick said:

Here's my share.

The location was Nakornping Condo, it's around 10 minutes walk to Kad Suan Kaew but you can hear the music from the bar opposite the mall inside the room.

On 02/06/2017 at 4:47 PM, heybruce said:

Chickens and hens are ok.  It's the @$^&(*! roosters that get to me.   If the neighbours also indulge in  bit of cock fighting, and keep their contestants in cages in the back yard, it's goodbye sleep-ins.

On ‎02‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 1:47 PM, heybruce said:

On the other hand, anyone looking for a quiet place in Thailand should know it needs to be far from cities,

LOL. The village was noisier than the town, in the morning anyway.

monks started chanting ( amplified throughout the village ) at dawn, speaking petrol pump as everyone went to work after dawn, amplified messages from headman during the day, plus lots of dogs of course.

On Thursday, June 01, 2017 at 9:51 AM, OneZero said:

In Thailand you may lose your deposit anyway.

There is a standard term used throughout the world

Caveat emptor...google it

You might lose your deposit ANYWHERE in the world

On Friday, June 02, 2017 at 2:52 PM, anto said:

>> and far from households that have chickens. <<

or dogs .A lot of Thai people seem to have a herd of dogs not just one .

A lot of thai people seem to have a herd of dogs!!!!!

I know at least 100 thai people not one of whom has a dog

Ridiculous assertion with no empirical evidence whatsoever.

9 hours ago, Kenerick said:

just a stab, Vieng Ping Condo, 

point blank range,from  Maya Mall

a nice late arvo to all