Buying my first car in Thailand

Jim P

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

You seem to be going back to old time's when I had my Sportivo "NOT VIGO" brakes changed all round to Run Stop one's. When I stated that there was a vast improvement. It was then that most of the know it all's, "know nothing" on TV said it was over braked and there wouldn't be any improvement.

Whatever you like T/V have got yet another post on to add to your 12.5 a day.

Folk who refer to others post count have lost....:sad:

1 minute ago, transam said:

Here you go again, calling folk fools for living a normal life and perhaps the consequences of living that normal life....If your 100+ working hours, 7 days a week and staying single is your thing then great, but don't keep posting that those who don't follow your route are fools, and Thai ladies are hookers and you seem to  treat them as that...

:cheesy:

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Not in the least, life has it's problems and we deal with it, not run away or fear living a normal life as you seem to be doing...

mate if you only knew the life i had here you would be green with envy. im not running or fear of anything here.:smile:

Just now, transam said:

Folk who refer to others post count have lost....:sad:

Think you must be loosing it TA please correct me if I wrong but wasn't my reply to you. Because you referred 'incorrectly' to one of my years ago posts. I rest my case.

Suggest you get yourself a cupper and cool down.

2 minutes ago, catman20 said:

mate if you only knew the life i had here you would be green with envy. im not running or fear of anything here.:smile:

I doubt it, my envy years are looking back at my younger years which you missed out on...

2 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Think you must be loosing it TA please correct me if I wrong but wasn't my reply to you. Because you referred 'incorrectly' to one of my years ago posts. I rest my case.

Suggest you get yourself a cupper and cool down.

Now was it a Vigo or a Fortuner that you quoted "They don't stop"....Was total nonsense and scare mongering.....Fact..

Just now, transam said:

I doubt it, my envy years are looking back at my younger years which you missed out on...

You said that I didn't have any fun in my early years the other day. Now it seems that C/M 20 is getting the same treatment?

Seems lately that you have become very argumentative, and everyone is wrong and you are correct all the time. Sorry but you latest posts are becoming quite boring & repetitive.

22 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Excellent post, as always Richard !
BUT, ( there always has to be a but doesn't there ? )
You can get a residence certificate from immigration if you haven't done a 90 report, I did.

Thats good to know. I don't want to side track the thread - Approximately 5 years or so ago I tried to get an Affirmation of Residence from Immigration at Chaengwattana, I was told that they could not issue me the document as I had not carried out a 90 day report. 

Perhaps things have changed or Immigration made a mistake... 

Either way, I'll try again in future *(I'll need one for my Driving License renewal in November) and am happy to hear that I may save a few thousand baht when compared to getting such a document from my consulate. 

On 02/06/2017 at 1:16 PM, thairookie said:

What if you will NEVER obtain a Thai DL because you are color blind ?

My DL in a foreign country was obtained at a time when there was no color blindness test.  And IDL does not require color blindness test too.

Then there is a good chance that if you are in a accident, and driving, that you have no insurance. It doesn't matter if you pay for insurance it is quite likely that you are not insured. 

The requirement is that if you have been in Thailand for more than 90 days that you get a Thai DL.

If some insurance companies still pay out and if some police accept your foreign licence (with or without an IDP) makes no difference, it just makes you lucky.

5 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

You said that I didn't have any fun in my early years the other day. Now it seems that C/M 20 is getting the same treatment?

Seems lately that you have become very argumentative, and everyone is wrong and you are correct all the time. Sorry but you latest posts are becoming quite boring & repetitive.

The other guy is getting a reply for calling folk here fools and the hooker comment...

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Now was it a Vigo or a Fortuner that you quoted "They don't stop"....Was total nonsense and scare mongering.....Fact..

I didn't say they didn't stop. I quoted that I had had brake fade in the mountains, Due I thought to rear drums over heating. Hence changed to R/Stop Discs all round. Some other peeps maybe you changed that to don't stop. I can assure you that I didn't say anything like don't stop. FACT.

7 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

your dead right about Trans well posted.

Just now, fredob43 said:

I didn't say they didn't stop. I quoted that I had had brake fade in the mountains, Due I thought to rear drums over heating. Hence changed to R/Stop Discs all round. Some other peeps maybe you changed that to don't stop. I can assure you that I didn't say anything like don't stop. FACT.

You did...Sorry, you did...

Thats good to know. I don't want to side track the thread - Approximately 5 years or so ago I tried to get an Affirmation of Residence from Immigration at Chaengwattana, I was told that they could not issue me the document as I had not carried out a 90 day report. 
Perhaps things have changed or Immigration made a mistake... 
Either way, I'll try again in future *(I'll need one for my Driving License renewal in November) and am happy to hear that I may save a few thousand baht when compared to getting such a document from my consulate. 

I got mine from Pathum Thani Immigration in January 2017.
What the official ruling on obtaining a residence certificate is I don't know, and looks like the IO's don't either.
Just another case of different rules in different IO's I guess.

Good luck in getting your residence certificate and as for side tracking the thread ?, don't think we need to worry about that ! Others have already taken care of that !! [emoji51]

2 minutes ago, transam said:

You did...Sorry, you did...

If I remember correctly we had this same argument before that I put don't stop. That's when I told you to go back a re-read my post.

As I have said your getting very argumentative in your old age & with everyone.

Now it seems like before you cannot be wrong 'even though you are sometimes' about anything. Suggest you go get some sort of life. Put the kettle on or open a pint of something that would be a start. 

Slow down, or you could end up with a heart attack. Then who would we have to have a go at.

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

If I remember correctly we had this same argument before that I put don't stop. That's when I told you to go back a re-read my post.

As I have said your getting very argumentative in your old age & with everyone.

Now it seems like before you cannot be wrong 'even though you are sometimes' about anything. Suggest you go get some sort of life. Put the kettle on or open a pint of something that would be a start. 

Slow down, or you could end up with a heart attack. Then who would we have to have a go at.

Again, you said it...I think it was about a guy buying a 2007/8 ride, not sure, you said they don't stop.....For sure I am not going to look for it but you did say it......As for the old guy thing, well more you have lost.....Get a grip man....You can do better than that..

So YOU reckon it is OK for a poster to call members fools for setting up home with a Thai lady, are you also OK with calling Thai ladies hookers.....? Because I ain't...

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

You upgraded the front discs to discs ?

29 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

You upgraded the front discs to discs ?

Yes larger 36cm? Discs with large caliper on front if I Remember correctly. From Drums to discs with leading a trailing calipers on rear. Not sure of those size. Happy now.

1 hour ago, transam said:

Again, you said it...I think it was about a guy buying a 2007/8 ride, not sure, you said they don't stop.....For sure I am not going to look for it but you did say it......As for the old guy thing, well more you have lost.....Get a grip man....You can do better than that..

So YOU reckon it is OK for a poster to call members fools for setting up home with a Thai lady, are you also OK with calling Thai ladies hookers.....? Because I ain't...

Yes I did quote that the early Fortuners didn't stop. Fact. If they did why did they change the set up. That's when I got the year wrong and you didn't stop telling all I was a complete plonker for not knowing the exact year. After they had upgraded the set up to bigger servo and a few other bits all was fine except they used to get fade on Mountain roads. Well my Sportivo did. Hence the change to R/Stop. They were fab after that.

Yes I did quote that the early Fortuners didn't stop. Fact. If they did why did they change the set up. That's when I got the year wrong and you didn't stop telling all I was a complete plonker for not knowing the exact year. After they had upgraded the set up to bigger servo and a few other bits all was fine except they used to get fade on Mountain roads. Well my Sportivo did. Hence the change to R/Stop. They were fab after that.

Thank-you, will have a cup of tea now, a lay down too, as you advised....:stoner:

1 minute ago, transam said:

Thank-you, will have a cup of tea now, a lay down too, as you advised....:stoner:

Sorry for your late cupper, and reply but was out for lunch. Never mentioned the lay down though. But good idea your fingers must be tired.

On 2.6.2017 at 2:18 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Excellent post, as always Richard !
BUT, ( there always has to be a but doesn't there ? )
You can get a residence certificate from immigration if you haven't done a 90 report, I did.

That is a Bangkok rule only, at least one 90 day report is required.....

Sorry for your late cupper, and reply but was out for lunch. Never mentioned the lay down though. But good idea your fingers must be tired.

I lied.....:stoner:......ZZ Top is playing.....:guitar:

That is a Bangkok rule only, at least one 90 day report is required.....

Ahh okay.
Wonder what the justification is for having different rules at different IO's ?............probably best not to try and understand their reasoning [emoji51]

l'm only just saying that I find brake fade on a Vigo truck hard to believe having had one.

Fronts are disc,  they don't fade unless there's a fault or if they got really wet like under flood water.

The rear drums are at best just balancing alignment braking or a handbrake but l still would put it in  "Park"  or in  "Gear".  :smile:

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

l'm only just saying that I find brake fade on a Vigo truck hard to believe having had one.

Fronts are disc,  they don't fade unless there's a fault or if they got really wet like under flood water.

The rear drums are at best just balancing alignment braking or a handbrake but l still would put it in  "Park"  or in  "Gear".  :smile:

You've been listening to TA & getting it tits up. I didn't say that Vigo pickup had brake fade. I said my old Fortuner Spivo did when loaded on mountain roads like the ones going from Tak to Mai Sot. You know all about those. 

Never had fade on my 4x4 Vigo but it was a bit of a pig when I had almost a ton of granite on the rear coming from Tak to K.P.P. Slowly Slowly 50kph was the thing then.

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

You've been listening to TA & getting it tits up.

Not really but he is very knowledgeable about motors.  

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

had brake fade. I said my old Fortuner Spivo did 

I do not dis-believe your experience but l would stand by conclusion like you had some kind of brake failure not fade although the failure could easily be assumed and experience as that kind of incident. 

Archived