Buying my first car in Thailand

Jim P

I will be moving to Thailand next year and applying for a retirement extension visa. Asap I would like to purchase a vehicle either from a dealership or privately using cash. I dont have a Thai wife but will be renting a property alone. Is proof of my address and a driving licence all that is required to make the purchase?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Jim P said:

I dont have a Thai wife but will be renting

Sorry couldn't let that go.  :biggrin:

You can wait till you get here you can easily purchase a car with proof of address. 

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

Insurance will want to see your D/License. Or copy of same.

Not all insurance companies require that.

The super cover of the gov compulsory insurance doesn't either.  :biggrin:

13 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Not all insurance companies require that.

The super cover of the gov compulsory insurance doesn't either.  :biggrin:

IOE does they wanted a copy of my license when I ordered my new lump a few day ago.

I wouldn't mind but I have been with them for over 8 years.

Oh wasn't asked for my Yellow book as proof of address took the GL word for that.

Ok cool so it wont be a problem for me to buy. I will be getting my Thai drivers licence asap. 

I put the Thai wife bit because I wasn't sure if I needed a Thai involved in some way  as you do for a house purchase :smile:

7 hours ago, Jim P said:

Ok cool so it wont be a problem for me to buy. I will be getting my Thai drivers licence asap. 

I put the Thai wife bit because I wasn't sure if I needed a Thai involved in some way  as you do for a house purchase :smile:

Bring over an International Driving Permit as well as your licence........saves a lot of hassle :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, Jim P said:

only a fool would put his house in a Thai wife's name !!!!!!!!!!!!

46 minutes ago, transam said:

One year, well it was....:stoner:

An IDP in Thailand is valid for 90 days in Thailand.  

If OP gets his Thai DL as he said asap that will be the best thing to do, as posted to death already. :laugh: 

19 hours ago, fredob43 said:

IOE does they wanted a copy of my license when I ordered my new lump a few day ago.

I wouldn't mind but I have been with them for over 8 years.

Oh wasn't asked for my Yellow book as proof of address took the GL word for that.

What if you will NEVER obtain a Thai DL because you are color blind ?

My DL in a foreign country was obtained at a time when there was no color blindness test.  And IDL does not require color blindness test too.

6 minutes ago, thairookie said:

Well you can only drive legally for 90 days with a home DL accompanied with a IDP.

Buying the car is easy- you will need a certificate of residence from immigration- car dealership does not care about a driving license- nothing to do with them.

I would of thought which car to buy is the question- that requires some research - it does depend where you are planning to retire . City - ideally small and nippy- countryside you need something most robust .

A Benz of course if you care about what the neighbours think! 

Best, if You are obtaining an international driving licence in Your home country at first. This can be convert to a thai driving license on an easy way. If You have an address in thailand, and cash enough, in Your pocket, You can buy any of cars, and can exchange in the DLT office Your name in the register book of car, and can arrange insurance.  

3 hours ago, transam said:

How did you avoid that so not to look a fool....?

easy stayed single. did not get trapped with the old trick im pregnant honey and put my house in a company name. ok maybe not a 100% safe but better than trusting an emotional woman with your major financial asset. 

7 minutes ago, catman20 said:

easy stayed single. did not get trapped with the old trick im pregnant honey and put my house in a company name. ok maybe not a 100% safe but better than trusting an emotional woman with your major financial asset. 

If you married a bird then bought you would get half your money back..Perhaps..Using a company to buy where there is no company showing profits and loss and no tax stuff is under the radar, so l am told.....If the radar works then your house may be confiscated....Perhaps....:stoner:......End up in court....Perhaps...

Buying a car:

1) Deposit

2) Delivery payment  (or Cashiers cheque) - you pick the car up at the dealership.

3) You will need a Copy of your Passport. 

4) You will need Affirmation of residence*

*Proof of residence can be obtained form your consulate (or immigration if you have done a 90day report)

5) Your new car will have red dealer plates - you will need to choose a 'white' place within 1 month (this law is hardly enforced). The dealers say they will do this, but quicker to just do this yourself at the DLT. 

Driving here: 

1) Home license with accompanying IDP (Dates cover 12 months: You can drive 90 days)

2) Its best to obtain a Thai License. Use your Home license + IDP. You will need Affirmation of Residence, and a medical checkup certification. 

Just now, transam said:

If you married a bird then bought you would get half your money back..Perhaps..Using a company to buy where there is no company showing profits and loss and no tax stuff is under the radar, so l am told.....If the radar works then your house may be confiscated....Perhaps....:stoner:......End up in court....Perhaps...

ill take my chances thanks, its been ok for me this way for 20 years and ive never herd of a foreigner losing his house this way, however ive herd lots of stories how men have lost all of there houses or houses doing it your way. as they say each to there own. :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, catman20 said:

ill take my chances thanks, its been ok for me this way for 20 years and ive never herd of a foreigner losing his house this way, however ive herd lots of stories how men have lost all of there houses or houses doing it your way. as they say each to there own. :thumbsup:

Reading the actual law here does help....But you called folk fools and sorry to say your risk sounds a bit foolish unless you really have an opperating company, but then that company is not controlled by you at 49%..Well that's my understanding of Thai rules...And like the song says...

"The times they are a changing"..

49 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Buying a car:

1) Deposit

2) Delivery payment  (or Cashiers cheque) - you pick the car up at the dealership.

*Proof of residence can be obtained form your consulate (or immigration if you have done a 90day report)

5) Your new car will have red dealer plates - you will need to choose a 'white' place within 1 month (this law is hardly enforced). The dealers say they will do this, but quicker to just do this yourself at the DLT. 

Driving here: 

1) Home license with accompanying IDP (Dates cover 12 months: You can drive 90 days)

2) Its best to obtain a Thai License. Use your Home license + IDP. You will need Affirmation of Residence, and a medical checkup certification. 

Spot on but one point missing.  The new vehicle is only fitted with red plates, if requested, with a bond of, normally, 3,000B being required, however is refundable once the white plates are obtained and the red plates and log book are surrendered to the dealer.

Also with the red plates, the vehicle is not supposed to be driven during the hours of darkness, and if leaving your province a log book is required to be completed for each journey.  These two aspects are starting to be enforced more as the fine is easy pickings for we all know who.:wai:

Buying a car:

1) Deposit

Driving here: 

Excellent post, as always Richard !
BUT, ( there always has to be a but doesn't there ? )
You can get a residence certificate from immigration if you haven't done a 90 report, I did.

Jim (OP) - I obviously don't know how long/how well you know the country, but my advice would be to rent a car at first. Depending on where you live, you should be able to get a private rental for around 8/10 a month which equates to 120k pa. A decent used vehicle will likely be north of 500k, plus insurance, maintenance etc. By renting, you'll get a feel for Thailand without an early large outlay, and if the country doesn't suit for any reason you won't have a millstone around your neck. 

3 hours ago, thairookie said:

Then go take your driving test in a place that will not ask for--or will ignore the colour blindness test.....you live in Asia now...............:coffee1:

19 hours ago, Jim P said:

Yes, thank you petermik I already have that.

Transitioning to a Thai Driving Licence is not difficult, and saves argument later.

I'd suggest shopping around in the second-hand market for something less than 100,000 km, Toyota, Honda and Nissan are all reliable vehicles. There are plenty of privately-owned vehicles on Thai Visa and bahtsold, or the dealers have their own secondhand market, e.g ToyotaSure.

2 hours ago, transam said:

Reading the actual law here does help....But you called folk fools and sorry to say your risk sounds a bit foolish unless you really have an opperating company, but then that company is not controlled by you at 49%..Well that's my understanding of Thai rules...And like the song says...

"The times they are a changing"..

your right in what you are saying 51% is owed by your thai partners who sign resignation letters that you hold so as they cant rip you off, i can only repeat what i said before no one has every lost there house set up in a company and many HAVE lost their houses your way. 

Archived