Buying my first car in Thailand

Jim P

On 6/2/2017 at 8:15 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Buying a car:

1) Deposit

2) Delivery payment  (or Cashiers cheque) - you pick the car up at the dealership.

3) You will need a Copy of your Passport. 

4) You will need Affirmation of residence*

*Proof of residence can be obtained form your consulate (or immigration if you have done a 90day report)

5) Your new car will have red dealer plates - you will need to choose a 'white' place within 1 month (this law is hardly enforced). The dealers say they will do this, but quicker to just do this yourself at the DLT. 

Driving here: 

1) Home license with accompanying IDP (Dates cover 12 months: You can drive 90 days)

2) Its best to obtain a Thai License. Use your Home license + IDP. You will need Affirmation of Residence, and a medical checkup certification. 

I am not an expert but wondering why get IDP?   I got a Thai drivers license in BKk staying in a hotel my first  first two weeks with just my USA license copies, residence embassy form, copy of passport and fee. Information lady spoke English and was helpful at the information desk at the drivers license office. 

Took a 15 minute test with a group of people that covered three simply reaction areas. Saw the test in English in the lobby while waiting for my group to take our test. May have also taken an eye test. 

Getting the Thai DL was simple and if you forget to copy correct documents they had a copier for 1 baht a page. So I had no IDP and was never asked for one by anybody. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not an expert but wondering why get IDP?   I got a Thai drivers license in BKk staying in a hotel my first  first two weeks with just my USA license copies, residence embassy form, copy of passport and fee. Information lady spoke English and was helpful at the information desk at the drivers license office. 

Took a 15 minute test with a group of people that covered three simply reaction areas. Saw the test in English in the lobby while waiting for my group to take our test. May have also taken an eye test. 
Getting the Thai DL was simple and if you forget to copy correct documents they had a copier for 1 baht a page. So I had no IDP and was never asked for one by anybody. 

The IDP helps as it is only a translation of your home country DL.
If you try to obtain a Thai Dl with a home country DL not in English then you will have to do the driving test if you don't have a IDP.

On 6/3/2017 at 9:25 AM, transam said:

Many have "lost" houses in farangland, it's just the way it is, and for someone to assume a guy loses his place in LOS cos she was a hooker is rolox and is not a nice thing to write on an open forum, plus being called "fools"...Yes his opinion but l don't like it, hence my replies...

learn to get over it:cheesy:

On 6/3/2017 at 4:06 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

The IDP helps as it is only a translation of your home country DL.
If you try to obtain a Thai Dl with a home country DL not in English then you will have to do the driving test if you don't have a IDP.

Thank you for explaining this to me. I had a USA drivers license and had no problem but I now understand the IDP issue. 

Archived