English teacher "wais" and says sorry for attacking a primary school student - but now faces immigration enquiry.

rooster59

Had an American friend who used to teach English language to Thai kids. He told me that it was really hard going, as a lot of those kids did not want to be there and had no interest in learning English whatsoever.

A few of the kids were very disruptive to the whole class, and no matter how much he tried to install discipline in the classroom, those kids would push his endurance levels to the limit. The worse part is that parents expect their kids to be speaking fluent English within a short time and if they don`t see any progress in their kids, then the parents blame the school and the teachers. It`s a high pressure job. Eventually my friend gave it up.

It takes a person of certain calibre to be able to teach kids at a school, because children will put teachers to the test and it becomes a battle of wits and endurance. This is one reason why teaching is not a suitable profession for everyone.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

It is still lazy typing.

Actually, ADHD is a very common abbreviation and is something that every teacher should know.

A couple of students with ADHD in a class can make it very difficult to control.  Not only are they incapable of sitting still and paying attention themselves, but their behavior can and usually will influence the other students in the class.  Unfortunately, there do not seem to be any professionally trained school psychologists/counselors in Thailand.  Also, in Thai schools, discipline begins and ends with the teacher.  Most school administrators are baffled by foreign teachers asking for help with classroom discipline and would have no idea themselves about what to do.

1 minute ago, AGareth2 said:

I think most of us agree that he acted badly

however it would seem that the authorities are more concerned with his docs

I agree.

Why the editing/partial quoting of my post?

Edited by Bluespunk

5 hours ago, saakura said:

The way he is dressed, hardly looks like a school teacher.

Guess you just found the urge to post, but, really, was the guy on duty and teaching when the photograph was taken? Do you know? or are you just bored?

Possibly wasted space on the forum!

1 minute ago, fishhooks said:

Guess you just found the urge to post, but, really, was the guy on duty and teaching when the photograph was taken? Do you know? or are you just bored?

Possibly wasted space on the forum!

selling those shirts in Makro for 59 bht

56 minutes ago, saplaieelee said:

jaltsc has his opinion and I have mine. My opinion comes from 30 years of teaching experience in both the US and Thailand. - if what was reported did happen he put his hands on on a child not his own and kicked him, he would be in extremely serious trouble in the US, that would begin with his license being revoked. He just opened himself up to being put in a thai jail and I would support that decision assuming the allegations are true. Jaltsc focusing on waiing is nothing less than insensitive jaltsc what if that was your child?

In your 30 years of teaching in the U.S. and Thailand, did you ever come across the term  facetious???  

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You hear that possum?

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You hear that possum?

Well I would say it's known a lot more in the UK. Don't know if they have the same problem here. The problem is it's an easy card for doctors to give kids for parents who cannot control or discipline them properly. Hence naughty little s**t syndrome!! Usually re ognised in most primary and secondary schools in depravation areas in the U.K.

Why was he not named? does not look like he comes from an English speaking country does he, more like an East European. Most teaching English here, or pretending to, are unqualified or perverts preying on kids. Quite a few of them need booting out of the country.

Most?

Based on what evidence?

Whatever the background to this fellow and this incident, it doesnt support the claim that "Most teaching English here, or pretending to, are unqualified or perverts preying on kids. "

2 minutes ago, JAG said:

Most?

Based on what evidence?

Whatever the background to this fellow and this incident, it doesnt support the claim that "Most teaching English here, or pretending to, are unqualified or perverts preying on kids. "

agree

should drop the preying on kids

21 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Had an American friend who used to teach English language to Thai kids. He told me that it was really hard going, as a lot of those kids did not want to be there and had no interest in learning English whatsoever.

A few of the kids were very disruptive to the whole class, and no matter how much he tried to install discipline in the classroom, those kids would push his endurance levels to the limit. The worse part is that parents expect their kids to be speaking fluent English within a short time and if they don`t see any progress in their kids, then the parents blame the school and the teachers. It`s a high pressure job. Eventually my friend gave it up.

It takes a person of certain calibre to be able to teach kids at a school, because children will put teachers to the test and it becomes a battle of wits and endurance. This is one reason why teaching is not a suitable profession for everyone.

I don't know if it takes a particular type of person really, I've found that all you have to do is make the classes fun for the kids.  You're not trying to break their will, just get them enthusiastic enough about the subject to want to learn about it.

Edited by akirasan

Some posters have commented that this guy was not dressed suitably as a teacher.  Amassing Thailand again I guess.   Given that 99% of Thai teachers , gutless to break away from the conservative dress code dictated by the Elites, are more appropriately dressed as undertakers,  then you have to consider that is absolutely in keeping with teaching a nation that is predominantly brain dead. More so the politicians, rather than the poor,  who have only the likes of FB to gander a wider opinion and understanding of what is really happening.

" there are irregularities about his teaching qualifications. "

Yeap, like a whole bunch of English 'teachers' here, the irregularity is that they don't have the qualification to teach.

If you're going to be one of those 'teachers', better keep a low profile and not get into trouble like this idiot here.

7 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"The foreign teacher at the center of an online furor after he attacked a P5 student during an English class has wai-ed the child and his mother in apology."

They keep telling foreigners to learn the "Thai Way" to behave. Now that someone has followed that advice and is acting in the traditional Thai manner for treating students, they want to kick him out of the country. Go figure. 

"" he grabbed his throat before pushing him into a table then kicking him to the floor""

If the student is your is your child you just laugh it off......this is not a classroom punishment..it's an physical assault...

14 minutes ago, dlm5star said:

Not condoning the behaviour at all....however, some of these little sh*ts do need a light slap around the head.

Might wake them up or get them off their phones for more than 5 minutes.

No child needs a slap from a teacher. 

That is asssult. 

8 minutes ago, chuang said:

"" he grabbed his throat before pushing him into a table then kicking him to the floor""

If the student is your is your child you just laugh it off......this is not a classroom punishment..it's an physical assault...

I don't think the poster was being serious. 

39 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Actually, ADHD is a very common abbreviation and is something that every teacher should know.

A couple of students with ADHD in a class can make it very difficult to control.  Not only are they incapable of sitting still and paying attention themselves, but their behavior can and usually will influence the other students in the class.  Unfortunately, there do not seem to be any professionally trained school psychologists/counselors in Thailand.  Also, in Thai schools, discipline begins and ends with the teacher.  Most school administrators are baffled by foreign teachers asking for help with classroom discipline and would have no idea themselves about what to do.

I have just called a teacher who I used to work with and he does not know what these initials stand for.

If every teacher should know then why was I not taught it when I attended the Teacher Training Academy?

3 hours ago, CaptHaddock said:

Which begs the question, "Why would any educated foreigner want to work such a job?"

It's clear as daylight that any western European working as a teacher here is a loser of  imaginable proportions. It is understandable for Africans, Indians, Filipinos or some such third worlders ex British colonials because $1000 is twice or three times what they would get back home as teachers! Any European willing to go through the ridiculous hoops to be able to teach here is serious loser back home. 

1 hour ago, saplaieelee said:

jaltsc has his opinion and I have mine. My opinion comes from 30 years of teaching experience in both the US and Thailand. - if what was reported did happen he put his hands on on a child not his own and kicked him, he would be in extremely serious trouble in the US, that would begin with his license being revoked. He just opened himself up to being put in a thai jail and I would support that decision assuming the allegations are true. Jaltsc focusing on waiing is nothing less than insensitive jaltsc what if that was your child?

I think that, if your claim to have 30 years teaching experience in the US and Thailand is true, that you seem hardly qualified to comment.

I know we frown at the grammar police, but your terrible sentence composition, incorrect use of punctuation and failure to capitalise the word Thai shows why Americans should never, ever be allowed to teach English to anyone, let alone Thai children.  You guys have simply never mastered the language yourselves!

Talk about two nations separated by a common language!

I have met a number of these so-called English "teachers" who are hardly capable of stringing a comprehensible sentence together.  They are virtually unemployable in their home counties and just see the "teaching" job in a local school as a way to stay in the LOS at any cost, hence their willingness to "work" for such pathetically low salaries.

It actually debases and makes a mockery of what the true teaching profession is all about and, no, I am not a teacher myself.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have just called a teacher who I used to work with and he does not know what these initials stand for.

If every teacher should know then why was I not taught it when I attended the Teacher Training Academy?

It is a fairly common term these days, though like yourself I never heard it used during training. 

53 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

American teaching English in LOS =Loser  back in the states. 

8 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"The foreign teacher at the center of an online furor after he attacked a P5 student during an English class has wai-ed the child and his mother in apology."

They keep telling foreigners to learn the "Thai Way" to behave. Now that someone has followed that advice and is acting in the traditional Thai manner for treating students, they want to kick him out of the country. Go figure. 

nothing to do with it... either he has the teaching docs or he does not