Giant Waves Set To Batter Coastline Of Gulf Of Thailand

george

WEATHER WARNING

Fishermen, residents put on alert for storms

Giant waves set to batter coastline of Gulf of Thailand

Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department's director-general Anucha Mokhawes yesterday warned people living along the coastline and fishermen to keep abreast of weather forecasts and heed warnings.

A southern weather bureau has already warned fishing trawlers against going out to sea for the time being.

Waves will be between two and three metres high today and tomorrow.

"People living around the Gulf of Thailand from Nakhon Si Thammarat down should be particularly watchful," the bureau's director Kamonsri Seneetantikul said yesterday.

Anucha said his department had already alerted local authorities in Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Ranong, Phang Nga, Phuket, Krabi, Trang, Satun, Chumphon, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat about the need to prepare against the weather threats.

"The authorities must also warn people living along the coastline and fishermen," he said.

Fishing trawlers, both small and large, should avoid going out to sea. However, if they received warnings about dangerous waves while out at sea, they should immediately head to a safe area.

"If people receive similar warning while ashore, they should evacuate and move their belongings to a safe place," Anucha said.

Earlier this month, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Chumphon, Songkhla and Narathiwat were hit by big waves.

Surat Thani Governor Niwat Swasdikaew yesterday said he had ordered sandbag walls to be built along the coastline in risky areas in Tha Chana, Chaiya, Don Sak, Koh Samui and Koh Pha-ngan districts, as well as Tao Island.

"District chiefs have been instructed to arrange patrols and to warn people to be prepared for evacuation," he said.

Dr Traiphop Pongsuwan, a geophysicist at the Prince of Songkla University, believed global warming would bring more storms to the Gulf and big waves along the coastlines.

He said the ongoing phenomenon had never happened before.

"I can't predict anything at this point," he said.

--The Nation 2006-12-28

Don't understand what Phang Nga, Phuket cs has to do with the Gulf warning...
Ko Pha-Ngan (near Samui), not Phang Nga. :o

"Ranong, Phang Nga, Phuket, Krabi, Trang..." from the OP's post.

I know where Koh Phangan is and Phang Nga....that's why I didn't understand the warning.

LP

:o Maybe the Government doesn't want to be held responsible for not giving a warning to as many people as possible. Not wanting a repeat of the devastation of two years ago. This way they have done their best to avoid loss of life due to the weather. A case of more forewarned is best

Don't understand what Phang Nga, Phuket cs has to do with the Gulf warning...
Ko Pha-Ngan (near Samui), not Phang Nga. :D

"Ranong, Phang Nga, Phuket, Krabi, Trang..." from the OP's post.

I know where Koh Phangan is and Phang Nga....that's why I didn't understand the warning.

LP

We are supposed to be going to ranong tomorrow then getting the boat to Koh Phayam for the new year. As the other guy says ranong Phuket, Krabi are on the opposite side of Thailand away from the gulf of Thailand :D . They are the andaman sea side. Does this mean that this side is also due to get big waves or can the missus relax a little. Cheers Dunc :o

I hear there is good surf around Puket at this time of year, I have surfed Kho Samui at about 1 metre, nice beach break. Has anyone surfed Phuket? I have heard there is a couple of nice point breaks on a large swell but I have no idea where.

The surf season is may to oct,around phuket ,,,they have surf contests as well in that time,oct last year we surfed kalim bay and kata noi 4 to 5 foot,great wave u can hire boards, but xxxy

i was there 3 weeks ago to see friends and patong and others are like a pond,and because of no water movement sea lice hangs around.

these waves are not comon for this time of the year.

We are supposed to be going to ranong tomorrow then getting the boat to Koh Phayam for the new year. As the other guy says ranong Phuket, Krabi are on the opposite side of Thailand away from the gulf of Thailand :D . They are the andaman sea side. Does this mean that this side is also due to get big waves or can the missus relax a little. Cheers Dunc :o

The surf in Kamala was about 1 m which is real unusul; this time of year is always like glass.

Best breaks are down in Kata Noi on the south end, and at Kalim , north of Patong and north end of Kamala beach.

Be advised the roads are full..

I hear there is good surf around Puket at this time of year, I have surfed Kho Samui at about 1 metre, nice beach break. Has anyone surfed Phuket? I have heard there is a couple of nice point breaks on a large swell but I have no idea where.

A friend who lives here in Kata says there is a good break at the local beach starting in May.

Climate change causing loss of Thai coastline

BANGKOK, Dec 28 (TNA) - Climate change-induced wind patterns has led to the erosion of up to 5 metres on average of coastal lands along the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand each year, according to a leading Thai expert on climate change.

Associate Professor Thanawat Jarupongsakul, a lecturer on climatology at the Unit for Disaster and Land Information Studies at Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Science, warned that Talumphuk Cape in the South could also disappear by 2056, if coastal erosion continues at its present rate.

Dr. Thanawat led a team of experts to study the impact of climate change on seawater, for the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

He told a press conference about his findings that coastal erosion has already taken between 17-21 per cent of the country's coastal area, over tens of thousands of rai, during the past three decades.

''A climate change-induced wind pattern has intensified the speed of coastal erosion in both the Gulf of Thailand and the Andaman sea,'' Dr. Thanawat said. His study showed erosion resulted from rising sea levels, man-made structures and dwindling mangrove forests.

Rapid erosion of some 35 metres a year was identiified in Samut Prakan province, but the most critical erosion took place along a narrow strip between Baan Pod and Baan Pak Klong Ram, Don Sak District of Surat Thani where the scientist estimated that over 80 metres of coastal land was lost during the last four years.

There are 30 hot spots in his study, 22 of these along the coast between Prachuab Khiri Khan and Pattani.

He also warned about the erosion threatening the new Suvarnabhumi Airport, saying that it is located only 15 kilometres from the sea.

Source: TNA - 28 December 2006

Seatran have some probs with one of their boats. The boat is not running at the moment to Chumpon. This makes for a poor journey from Bangkok. You will be sent via surat,samui and phangan. Lomprayah is the better option this week.

I can't understand this current Thai weather forecasting. In Koh Tao the local gov have been warning of terrible weather from 27th onwards. All real forcasting websites just show gentle winds and calm seas for the next 7 days. Looking out the window, windguru and bouyweather are spot on, and the Thai met office are way shy of the mark. To order all fishing boats back to port seems insane?

definitely the wrong time of year for surf in Phuket ... best is May ~ Sept ... and even then it's very fickle ... mostly get storm swells from wind - if your lucky and get a rain squall hit, it can be glassy either before or after ... but, it gets over-crowded a lot as well ... most guys surf Kata, Karon and Kalim ... the surf contest they hold there is a bit of a joke - the last 2 years was run in pitifully small waves ...

I just had a swim at Lamai Beach and it's not even breaking ! Only about 1/2 mtr swell at the most ... Chawang gets more swell, so it might have a tiny waves close to the shore ... I've been living here 12 years and only had about 1 or 2 surfs in that time ... if you want real surf, go to Bali ...

definitely the wrong time of year for surf in Phuket ... best is May ~ Sept ... and even then it's very fickle ... mostly get storm swells from wind - if your lucky and get a rain squall hit, it can be glassy either before or after ... but, it gets over-crowded a lot as well ... most guys surf Kata, Karon and Kalim ... the surf contest they hold there is a bit of a joke - the last 2 years was run in pitifully small waves ...

I just had a swim at Lamai Beach and it's not even breaking ! Only about 1/2 mtr swell at the most ... Chawang gets more swell, so it might have a tiny waves close to the shore ... I've been living here 12 years and only had about 1 or 2 surfs in that time ... if you want real surf, go to Bali ...

Hey Buz, thanx for that info.

Surf contests in Phuket? I would never have imagined that. I surf Bali every year, I usually combine the trip with Thailand.

A guy I met in Bali a few months back told me of a point break in front of some big hotel in Phuket, he reckons its a long right hander, small but perfect on the right conditions. For the life of me I can't remember the hotel name.

Climate change causing loss of Thai coastline

He told a press conference about his findings that coastal erosion has already taken between 17-21 per cent of the country's coastal area, over tens of thousands of rai, during the past three decades.

''A climate change-induced wind pattern has intensified the speed of coastal erosion in both the Gulf of Thailand and the Andaman sea,'' Dr. Thanawat said. His study showed erosion resulted from rising sea levels, man-made structures and dwindling mangrove forests.

Rapid erosion of some 35 metres a year was identiified in Samut Prakan province, but the most critical erosion took place along a narrow strip between Baan Pod and Baan Pak Klong Ram, Don Sak District of Surat Thani where the scientist estimated that over 80 metres of coastal land was lost during the last four years.

There are 30 hot spots in his study, 22 of these along the coast between Prachuab Khiri Khan and Pattani.

Source: TNA - 28 December 2006

They should come to Koh Phangan where dredging of the channel in Thong Sala and the construction of a harbor in Ban Tai has caused massive erosion all along the Ban Tai/Ban Kai coast.

Any plans on helping? I doubt it.

They should come to Koh Phangan where dredging of the channel in Thong Sala and the construction of a harbor in Ban Tai has caused massive erosion all along the Ban Tai/Ban Kai coast.

Any plans on helping? I doubt it.

Nature has a way of sorting itself out.

If land is lost in one place, it builds up in another. :o

I was talking to a guy in Bali that has been touring around the world surfing about 200+ days a year.

He found a good break in Thailand, through a friend, that has consistent good size waves 7 - 8 months of the year

on the Phuket side of Thailand.

But of course, he wasn't really forth coming about the location, as many people are about unknown breaks.

In his defense he said if I ever wanted to join him, he would show me where it was.

My guess is in is somewhere off the coast of Koh Lanta.

ko lanta gets very lttle waves as the slope of the ground runs up very slowly. Even in off season ( may-Nov)

On low tide it goes way out.

I often go to Lanta during the off season as it is very quiet and have never seen surf.

Kata noi, kalim and Kamala. May-mid nov.

2-3 m with 4 m when a storm is brewing..

that's odd, the sea is as flat as holland here at the moment and absolutely no wind. also http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=30397 which is usually pretty accurate is saying less than 1m waves!

steve

It was flatter than Holland before the tsunami wave arrived.

:o

Just in case you didn't know, earthquakes and weather systems aren't related.