Visa options

Just trying to determine my next move.

My gf is pregnant and im sick of tourist visa and being interogated every time i come into the country.

Obviously there is the marriage visa. I believe its 400k in the bank which isnt a issue but it seems a bit of work.

A friend told me he had a Non O to visit his son. My gf isnt due until November and i was wondering if it is possible to get the O to visit her.

Any other ideas or advice is appreciated.

2 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

If 400k in the bank isn't an issue a Thai Elite visa is only 500k and is the easiest of all the visas in terms of coming and going + it's good for 5 years as well. 

400k is a refundable deposit in your own name at a bank. 500k is a payment to purchase the Elite visa for 5 years. Or am i wrong?

The OP's options seem to be limited, as a non-o based on marriage appears to be a no go, as he mentions Girlfriend, not wife?

If not wanting to do the Elite path, then the other option would be a SE tourist visa and extend that for a further 30 days, doesn't get him to November though!

Once the child is born, then it should be possible to obtain a non-o based on visiting him or her.

Or of course, he could get married!

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

If married to a Thai, you can get a multiple entry Non O easily in Savannakhet. This requires border runs every 90 days, but avoids the interrogation process.

I read on another thread there was no proof of funds there. 

5 hours ago, saakura said:

400k is a refundable deposit in your own name at a bank. 500k is a payment to purchase the Elite visa for 5 years. Or am i wrong?

It (money to qualify for extensions based on marriage or having a Thai child) only needs to be 400K for 2 months prior to extensions - you can spend from it the rest of the year - it is and remains "your money" at all times.

5 hours ago, Mooner said:

Obviously there is the marriage visa. I believe its 400k in the bank which isnt a issue but it seems a bit of work.

An annual "extension of stay" (not technically called a visa) from an immigration-office in Thailand is available with those bank-funds, but there is also the 40K/mo income option.  For the income-option, you will need to get a notarized letter stating you have this income from your embassy or consulate.  What is your passport-country?  The process varies somewhat depending on your embassy/consulate.

2 hours ago, Mooner said:

I read on another thread there was no proof of funds there (Savanahket). 

Yes, like most Thai-consulates/embassies around the world (but not some others near Thailand), no funds are required for a 1-year Multiple-Entry Visa.  That would allow 90-days stay every time you enter - possible until the "enter-before" date on the visa (1 year from date of purchase), with the option of purchasing a 60-day extension in-country on each entry.  After that, you need to leave and return to Thailand to get a new 90-day entry - so you are still stuck with border-runs - though less frequent and without the hassle of applying for a new visa each time.

As others pointed out, you cannot get a visa or extension for a child "on the way" - you would need to be married.  Being the parent of a Thai child (born), also provides similar - but not identical - options. 

If you decide to get married, be aware you will need another document from your embassy or consulate - an affirmation you are "free to marry," which will need to be translated and then the translation certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA). 

The income-letter from your consulate does not need to be translated, and only needs to be certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) if your particular immigration-office requires this to do a "conversion" from a Tourist to a "Non-O" visa.  You could also opt to get your initial Non-O visa from a neighboring country in lieu of a conversion in-country.  No MFA-certification of the income-letter is needed to apply for an annual-extension.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

On 2017-6-7 at 1:15 PM, BritTim said:

If married to a Thai, you can get a multiple entry Non O easily in Savannakhet. This requires border runs every 90 days, but avoids the interrogation process.

Is it the same to get one in Vientiane?

On 6/7/2017 at 1:19 PM, saakura said:

correct, but it's also the most hassle free way to come and go into Thailand. If I had 500k in the bank tomorrow it's the first thing I'd sign up for, no 90 day reporting (they do it for you), special lane through customs (even on the base level) and more.