Catching birds to let them go - may lead to two years in jail...or more!

webfact

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

Its actually a false Merit Since you have to catch the bird then let it go

Go and find birds that have been in cages all their lives and let them go that is an honest merit 

if u honest with this concept stop eating animals could be a start...to let them alone to live their lifes so they don't have  to be worried of beeing catched and killed to be eaten or of beeing catched because some religious weirdo feels the urge to make  " merit"...

Edited by free123

7 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Yes

translate "merit"as "money"

so it is making money.

The bird is the culprit ......i explain :

After you release him he returns voluntarily ,yep, just watch him.

So the bird was not caught , he actually lives in this little cage ,has a blue book , 30 baht cart .......( some have a private jet?)

He is " released " about 20(or more) times a day, providing at least 1000 bath a day ........with this money the bird pays a 

Thai man to speak to tourists ,to clean his little house and to bring his food.

It is the bird who caught the Thai man !

Smart birds ! ( not to confuse with the hot dumb birds)

Edited by lucjoker

7 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

IGNORE.

I found it online - Buddhist practice.

Make merit means you have the plus in your karma like in a bank you have deposit not deficit.

So if you buy the birds to release them you are not making merit because the little baby birds in the nest died due the parent birds not coming back to feed them. Baby birds need to eat every 3 hours or so during the day time.

When you buy the birds to release them you encourage the men to carry on catching these poor birds you are actually the accomplice in the murder of those baby birds. So your karma will be bad, when you reborn again in this world your baby will starve to dead due to war or flood or being lost in the desert or jungle.

Karma will take effect whether you know or you don't know what you do. A baby fell down from the 2nd floor building because the baby didn't know the action of gravity, so the karma takes effect whether the baby knew or not the action of gravity would kill her. 

Life in this world is like the computer game, you need to know what to avoid, what to expect, what to do, ignorance will not excuse any bad karma effect on you.

Knowledge will release you from your sufferings. 

The merit birds are usually munias, which are quite common and seem to be a bit simple-minded (one came into the house once, attracted by some pot bird ornaments). I imagine they get caught and released several times during their lives. Whether the practice impacts on their populations I don't know, but it can't do them any good and the superstition does need stamping out.

More reprehensible is the trade in wild bird as pets, such as red-whiskered bulbuls, which can decimate entire populations.

23 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

The merit birds are usually munias, which are quite common and seem to be a bit simple-minded (one came into the house once, attracted by some pot bird ornaments). I imagine they get caught and released several times during their lives. Whether the practice impacts on their populations I don't know, but it can't do them any good and the superstition does need stamping out.

More reprehensible is the trade in wild bird as pets, such as red-whiskered bulbuls, which can decimate entire populations.

I wondered how long it would be before someone mentioned the red-whiskered bulbul. My money was on a 20-25 year spread.

3 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Okay, starting with the birds, but what about the pigs, when I see them on the pick-up trucks.

Thats also cruelty.

They do look very uncomfortable in those cages.  No doubt, it's a one-way ride though. 

IMG_1424-e1400697798900.jpg.4551a03818a7fc02de3faf2c23fdb877.jpg

So finally they got a bit brain it seems...But when does this gets applied to fishes too? In uncountable places they catch fishes, hord them in hundreds in small pots to sell them to ppl to let them make merit.

Its beyond me how they even can completley neglect the fact that they hurt animals to let others do merit. 

Edited by Saenchai

8 hours ago, canopy said:

I recall when the recent animal cruelty law was enacted it exempted animal cruelty for religious purposes. So it is puzzling they are saying there can be punishment for this. Not just birds, but releasing turtles, fish, anything is cruel to the animal and most people are not aware of this as they are taught they are doing something good.

Of course all the mangy disease ridden dogs hanging around most wats is perfectly ok, I guess?,  

9 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i feel sorry for all the birds locked up at the Wat here in Hua Hin.

i told my ex girlfriend you are releasing a bird to make merit that was captured so you could release it to make merit. so where is the good in that? so why do it?

but besides from this lapse of logic she is a wonderful person.

Im afraid that for most Thais it is not a 'lapse' of logic but the total lack of the ability to think logically thanks to Thai education, or rather, lack of it.

5 hours ago, pitrevie said:

Used to be quite common on the beach in Pattaya to see some farangs paying money to release the birds. Whether its birds, elephants, dancing bears or whatever a lot of this wouldn't take place if there were no paying customers.  idiots

13 hours ago, YetAnother said:

making merit ? how does this make merit ? (considering the whole practice)

I have asked my darling wife about this "merit" stuff, and she assures that it is a meaningful Buddhist action. I see it as a just another successful brainwashing exercise with uneducated  people. Be it Buddhist, Muslim, Christian, Calathumpian or whatever, the powers that be are able to convince mere mortals that if you give your nuggets to them, you can book your place in the clouds. This ruse is generally used to manipulate the minds of uneducated poor people, but then you have crazy, corrupt sects like Dhamma..........that suck in the "hi-so's" 

The T habit of catching birds only to release them for merit making

Guys how many times have tourists been asked for cash to release birds in cages even sitting on the beach in Hua Hin even on the M beach I have been approached many many times.

Its a business for some and the temples if they cared about anything except money should stop it.

Another 3rd world practice.

15 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Good. This practice is just plain cruel. 

Releasing captured birds to secure a better next life is like pretending to help someone in order to receive a reward. It's corrupt and dishonest. 

"Be nice to others for no other reason than being nice" (an atheist)

I assume buddha  would agree with the atheist - but where does one find buddha?

And the answer is: in every library in every Farang town, but surely not anywhere in Thailand.

7 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

The T habit of catching birds only to release them for merit making

Guys how many times have tourists been asked for cash to release birds in cages even sitting on the beach in Hua Hin even on the M beach I have been approached many many times.

Its a business for some and the temples if they cared about anything except money should stop it.

I don't want to start again  the discussion about the expression "third world".

But in Farangland there is an expression "the fourth world".

It means poor uneducated people with lots of social diseases, such as alcoholism, domestic violence, feelings of entitlement, etc.

It is hereditary.

I am afraid that Thailand qualifies as Fourth World.

19 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

My wife captures the chickens every night and frees them in the morning.  She has a lot of Karma Offset Credits.

Tell her to catch ants instead. That's much easier, and since all animals are equal, by catching lots of them, your wife will increase her karma a hundred fold.

greetings from your buddhism advisor.

15 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

Its actually a false Merit Since you have to catch the bird then let it go

Go and find birds that have been in cages all their lives and let them go that is an honest merit 

Someone else catches them, you make merit by being the one who paid to have them released.

5 hours ago, Ruffian Dick said:

Some day Thais will realize the ultimate merit is in leaving wild animals alone!

and being responsible for your own destiny  not some fantasy being in the sky

16 hours ago, free123 said:

if u honest with this concept stop eating animals could be a start...to let them alone to live their lifes so they don't have  to be worried of beeing catched and killed to be eaten or of beeing catched because some religious weirdo feels the urge to make  " merit"...

But then we carnivores would slowly starve to death, isn't that also inhumane and cruel?

10 hours ago, seancbk said:

Someone else catches them, you make merit by being the one who paid to have them released.

Yes I know but that is not merit that They had no intention of keeping the birds Its all for money

How can that be for Merit Go out instead and feed a homeless person  Or go work for a Watt

that needs some care. Or help the elderly Releasing a bird is fake Sorry that is my view

On 6/8/2017 at 6:20 AM, rkidlad said:

pretending to help someone in order to receive a reward

As in giving money to a beggar or food to a monk.

Buddhism is very selfish. At least the Thai version is.