Australian cyclist killed in Ayutthaya

webfact

Australian cyclist killed in Ayutthaya
By The Nation

AYUTTHAYA: -- An Australian engineer was killed on an Ayutthaya road on Thursday, struck by a motorcyclist while on a morning bicycle ride. 

Police said Stephen B Mark, 42, died at the scene due to head injuries and a broken neck.

They said the accident occurred at 7.30am on outbound Rojana Road in Phra Nakhon Ayutthaya district’s Tambon Klong Suan Plu. 

The motorcyclist, identified as Mongkolrirk Klunsaisook, 28, claimed the cyclist fell against him and tumbled over.

Police suspect the two men somehow grazed one another, flipping the bicycle.

They said Mark worked in Ayutthaya’s Hitech Industrial Zone and often cycled around the province. His wife in Phuket had been informed, they said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30317539

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-08

Police suspect the two men somehow grazed one another, flipping the bicycle.

Yes, and I'll bet ..

...while the cyclist was doing  15 Kmh and the motorcyclist was doing  95 Kmh  ...

RIP  and condolences to his family.

Condolences etc, but I wonder if the avid cyclist was wearing any head protection, not that it would have been a damned bit of good as he was on the smaller of the vehicles involved and broke his neck. RIP mate..

It is pure guesswork to speculate who's at fault ...  for all we know the motorbike could have been going along at the cyclists veered over slightly ...  not saying he did or didn't .. just saying no one here knows so a blame game is useless.

RIP .. 

Cycling here is lethal... 

For the most part Cars are quite respectful and careful, this has surprised me. 

But, the motorcyclists are awful, they cut you up, pull out in front of you, force you to swerve round them, motorcyclists (and careless pedestrians) are quite a danger. 

Just recently I was overtaken by a motorcycle taxi on a sharp left hand bend, as the motorcycle nosed in front of me, he stopped on the apex to let off his passenger - I had no where to go and to emergency brake and caught the curb on the left hand side..... I was fine and unhurt, the bike rider was very apologetic, but it is this carelessness and stupidity which injures and ultimately kills. 

I'd hazard a guess in identifying that 99% of journeys on a bicycle are completely safely, however, its the tiny percentage of those who may not see us, are using their phone, are drunk, aggressive etc which make riding (and driving) here more dangerous than many other places. 

The carelessness and lack of consideration for others on Thai roads is appalling. Not that this couldn't happen in other countries, but these issues are so much more prevalent here. 

RIP. 

Serious cyclists always gear up, they know the dangers of the idiot factor. Does not diminish responsibility upon road all users.

Motorcyclists by and large are more casual, cavalier and it would not surprise me if coming from behind faster, the motorcyclist just did not see or expect the slower cyclist in front. Speculating helps no one though.

RIP Stephen. Seemed like you were doing good things too. 

I'm an eight-year veteran of cycling on Bangkok and Pattaya roads under all conditions, any/all times of day. My opinion, based on years of observation and survival (knock on wood) is this:

Cyclists should not be sharing the roads with motor vehicles and when they must, it must be done very carefully and with the correct equipment and level of situational awareness.

Motorcycles, as some posters have noted, are the primary threat to the cyclist. They will often pass at close proximity and are much more maneuverable and unpredictable than four-wheeled motor vehicles. Three-wheeled vehicles (Tuk Tuks) are in this category.

However, it is often the "cavalier attitude" of the cyclists on the road that can lead to their injury or death.

1) It is the cyclists responsibility to be aware of all vehicles that are approaching from the rear and to have at least one rear-view mirror and use it or them religiously. Observe the rear-approaching vehicles movements and try to determine if it is safe to have the vehicle pass. If it is deemed not a safe situation, immediately exit the road or take other evasive action. I am amazed with how few bicycles have mirrors and the excuses given as to why. In my view, the bicycle should be equipped with the same safety equipment that is required on a motor vehicle, since often they both must operate in the same environment.

2) It is largely the cyclists responsibility that they be seen by other users of the road. Bicycles in daytime usually do not show lights and often neither do they at night. Motorbike taxi operators wear high-visibility vests which increase their level of safety as well as lights that automatically are on (if they've been maintained). The cyclists should also wear high-visibility vests and it would be much safer for them if they ran with front and rear high-intensity lights both day and night.

3) In Thailand, especially Bangkok, one should not avoid or feel guilty about  riding on the sidewalks (pavements for speakers of UK English) if pedestrian traffic is not high. However, it must be done very carefully and at a much lower speed and recognizing that pedestrians have the right-of-way. There should be absolutely no hesitation to use the sidewalks (even if it means walking the bicycle) as often they are officially marked shared cyclist/pedestrian paths and implicitly it is encouraged by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), no doubt to encourage cyclists to avoid the roads as much as possible - knowing how dangerous they are.

Employment of only any one of the above strategies and tactics might have allowed the deceased to save is life. Perhaps this post will save someone in the future.

R.I.P. our departed cyclist Stephen B Mark.

Edited by MaxYakov

9 hours ago, optad said:

Serious cyclists always gear up, they know the dangers of the idiot factor. Does not diminish responsibility upon road all users.

Motorcyclists by and large are more casual, cavalier and it would not surprise me if coming from behind faster, the motorcyclist just did not see or expect the slower cyclist in front. Speculating helps no one though.

RIP Stephen. Seemed like you were doing good things too. 

Gear up ???...  

Helmet, always..

Gloves, yes because my hands get sweaty and can slip off the grips otherwise when hitting a bump..

Lights, always (day and night)

What other 'gear' is there when you suggest 'cyclists gear up' (on the road)?

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Gear up ???...  

Helmet, always..

Gloves, yes because my hands get sweaty and can slip off the grips otherwise when hitting a bump..

Mirrors, high-visibility vest, eye  protection, continual situational awareness and an attitude that sharing the road with motorized vehicles that are much heavier and faster is easily fatal so is to be avoided when possible - Ref Post [link].

Edited by MaxYakov

Cycling here is lethal... 

...Just recently I was overtaken by a motorcycle taxi on a sharp left hand bend, as the motorcycle nosed in front of me, he stopped on the apex to let off his passenger - I had no where to go and to emergency brake and caught the curb on the left hand side.....

The first part of your post is true, the rest is a "somnamna" incident waiting to happne i.e realising the danger yet comtinuing to engage in it :blink:

I was driving in London today, a cyclist heard my engine looked around and pulled into the middle of the road for no reason.

If I had been speeding I would have hit him probably killing him.

If I had been doing 40mph which is the speed limit on the road I was driving on I would have hit him and probably killed him.

Lucky for him I was doing 20 mph having just passed a roundabout.

Why did he pull into the middle of the road ? I have no idea and still don't.

Who was to blame for the death of the cyclist on this thread, who knows.

19 hours ago, YetAnother said:

that just doesnt happen to avid bicyclists; motorcy rider will get away with manslaughter

Yetanother quoted OP:: "claimed the cyclist fell against him and tumbled over."

I just saw a photo of the deceased lying next to his bike. It was a narrow-tired (700c wheels, < 28mm wide) road bike. Narrow tires (< 28mm) can be very treacherous on Thailands roads and sidewalks (aka pavements) due to numerous cracks crevices that exist. A cyclist can easily be lose control and be ejected from the bicycle (and possibly into oncoming traffic) if a wheel goes into such a crevice. I'm not saying that's what happened in this particular case.

I have a bike with 23mm tires and I have to monitor where they are constantly when I take it out, so it's a lot more difficult bike to ride and should probably be kept off the roads and on a well-maintained track. However, the tires are lower friction and it is an exciting and fun bike to ride otherwise.

Edited by MaxYakov

Another life taken by local roads and an education system that does not recognize how special life is and how much pain it causes when leaders of a country do not do a thing to stop it. Shame on you PM and your sidekicks may you end up in hell.

RIP Stephen, commiserations to those in Aus who will also suffer the pain that this 3rd world country does not understand as yet but one day will.

Edited by wakeupplease

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Gear up ???...  

Helmet, always..

Prior to my post, it had been questioned if he was wearing a helmet. Just suggesting Richard, that Stephen seemed to be a regular in the saddle and would not head out without a helmet. Even pedants need to read the context.