More Taxi vs Uber wars in Pattaya - but police stand by and do nothing

snoop1130

aHR0cDovL3BlMS5pc2Fub29rLmNvbS9ucy8wL3VkLzQ2OC8yMzQ0MDc0L25ld3MxOC5qcGc=.jpg

A video posted to Facebook showed a Pattaya taxi driver and a Uber driver squaring off.

But it was more like handbags at dawn as both warring parties produced their phones for filming along with threats and accusations and very little else.

Meanwhile a cop who saw the event just stood by and did nothing.

It was not even clear that the altercation was over the legality and presence of Uber as there seemed to be more anger at some horn honking and cutting in.

The footage did show the Uber driver - in a Bangkok registered Suzuki vehicle -  take his shirt off and demand a fight.

The two main protogonists were the Uber driver aged about 30 and the light blue shirted Pattaya cabbie aged about 40, said Sanook.

When asked about the incident Pattaya police said no one had told them about it.

The footage ended up on the "Look Seua Saman Prajam Baan" page.

Source: http://news.sanook.com/2344074/

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-6-8

Well right away the shifty-looking kid with the scruffy mustache should be questioned closely . . .  he's half blind; look at how he's peering at his phone from 6 inches away. Not surprising he bumped into the car in front!

Edited by robsamui

21 minutes ago, robsamui said:

Well right away the shifty-looking kid with the scruffy mustache should be questioned closely . . .  he's half blind; look at how he's peering at his phone from 6 inches away. Not surprising he bumped into the car in front!

Lucky for him though because he unable to see the shitfight he has made of his own back.

Every time you take one of the mafia taxis you are contributing to the existing problem and it becomes partly your fault that they stay in power. Take Uber or other private transport NOW and eradicate the mafia!

But it's an unfair competition when Uber drivers are too scared to pick you up in many areas. I always have to walk 100 metres from my hotel because there is a mafia stand right in front of it. They have already seen me in an Uber car and asked around "if I have some Thai friends driving". Bastards.

Uber drivers also won't pick you up near walking street.

Edited by wump

2 hours ago, wump said:

Every time you take one of the mafia taxis you are contributing to the existing problem and it becomes partly your fault that they stay in power. Take Uber or other private transport NOW and eradicate the mafia!

Well i don't see a problem with taxis here , at least you can get one even though they sometimes dont want to go to a certain area

Now lets turn to Auss where Uber was the best thing that happened as the taxi industry is absolutely sh**te

I am wondering if they tell the tourists who come straight out of the airport & go to the taxi rank to F off & get a taxi on the street as " I have been here for 2 hrs & want no fare under $50

11 hours ago, Thechook said:

Shouldn't a person have the right to choose who they want to travel with?  I always use UBER more friendly and much cleaner.

exactly, the taxi mafia in Pattaya have been taking the piss for a very long time, there is nothing wrong with healthy competition - something these scam artists are going to have to deal with going forward and the sooner the better.

Price fixing is a big issue in Thailand especially in places like Pattaya, greed and control rules over common sense which is why walking these days is just that - people walking  

How are you able to tell the difference- My friend collecting me in his car or an Uber driver? Do Uber drivers put signs on their cars saying they are Uber? Surely there will be many mistaken situations whereby the accused is not Uber at all. 

Hope everyone is peaceful. 

Harmony to all.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The cop is waiting for his new bike:

Pattaya police chief says new bikes from HQ are a just reward for his upstanding "value for money" men

until then he'll do nothing. After he has bike, he'll do nothing.

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

The tattooed Uber driver looks like he would kick that Taxi driver's ass in a fight, but we don't know how good they both were in their Muay Thai skills

Put them in the boxing ring at the start of Walking Street. We would find out who is best.

1 hour ago, stud858 said:

How are you able to tell the difference- My friend collecting me in his car or an Uber driver? Do Uber drivers put signs on their cars saying they are Uber? Surely there will be many mistaken situations whereby the accused is not Uber at all. 

Hope everyone is peaceful. 

Harmony to all.

If you're a foreigner in Pattaya, better not get in a car driven by a Thai or have a Thai person to drive your own car. Taxi drivers are on the lookout and if they see it they will beat your friend or gf/bf, wife/husband :shock1:

3 hours ago, smedly said:

exactly, the taxi mafia in Pattaya have been taking the piss for a very long time, there is nothing wrong with healthy competition - something these scam artists are going to have to deal with going forward and the sooner the better.

Price fixing is a big issue in Thailand especially in places like Pattaya, greed and control rules over common sense which is why walking these days is just that - people walking  

I am definitely not happy with the taxi-service in Thailand.

Too much no meter, too much wrong.

That said, I am well aware that many drivers make long days for a crappy reward.

And of course their contributions to many don't really help.

A unreal "taxi" service like Uber is not a good thing for the real taxi's.

It really cuts into their earnings.

Competition in the taxi branche is only possible by cutting the earnings of drivers.

People deserve honest wages.

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

It was not even clear that the altercation was over the legality and presence of Uber as there seemed to be more anger at some horn honking and cutting in.

In other words; something happened but we're  not sure what.. 

Edited by Rob13

3 hours ago, hansnl said:

I am definitely not happy with the taxi-service in Thailand.

Too much no meter, too much wrong.

That said, I am well aware that many drivers make long days for a crappy reward.

And of course their contributions to many don't really help.

A unreal "taxi" service like Uber is not a good thing for the real taxi's.

It really cuts into their earnings.

Competition in the taxi branche is only possible by cutting the earnings of drivers.

People deserve honest wages.

You never been to Phuket, have you? Honest wages my ass... they make more than you and me combined. 

1 hour ago, gandalf12 said:

Do taxi's without meter's still exist? I have not seen one for over a decade.

They don't, but in places like Pattaya and Samui drivers will NEVER switch them on (the mafia cooperation probably won't allow them to anyway).

41 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I think they all have meters installed, they just don't use the meters

I agree with that, they have them but refuse to turn them on. Should have their licenses, if they have one, taken off them and fined heavily if they are found not to use the meter