Shock UK exit poll suggests Britain's May fails to win majority

webfact

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

There are many different versions of Brexit such as the one offered by the principle spokesman for the leave campaign last June where we remain in the single market or was that a pack of lies? . Much like the Norway option. Even Farage is acknowledging that in view of this election result that is what May may be forced to accept. 

I don't know whether you noticed but only a short time ago the UK went to the polls to decide that exact question and guess what May was told that she couldn't do what she liked. She asked for a majority that would allow her to override even the opposition in her own party to a hard Brexit and it didn't work out too well.

No no no, there are not many different version's if you read  the wording of the question : Should the UK remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union ?   now i would imagine that most people read that as cutting all ties with Europe,  it doesn't give another option of leaving the European Union but staying within the Single Market does it ?  it's strange that all the different versions came from the Remainer's  after the result went against them !

4 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

No no no, there are not many different version's if you read  the wording of the question : Should the UK remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union ?   now i would imagine that most people read that as cutting all ties with Europe,  it doesn't give another option of leaving the European Union but staying within the Single Market does it ?  it's strange that all the different versions came from the Remainer's  after the result went against them !

I don't think anyone is disputing that we are leaving the EU, that decision has been taken and Article 50 invoked to begin the process. What is in dispute is what sort of arrangement we will now have. Norway are not in the EU neither is Switzerland but they have a relationship with the EU that allows them to be part of the single market. That is what Boris was telling everyone last June, leaving the EU did not mean leaving the Single Market. 

19 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

Once again you have provided three links that say nothing of the sort. In fact the third link merely repeats what I said and that is someone is claiming that someone said there would be total economic meltdown. By the way Gorge Soros isn't an economic institution. That there have been economic repercussions as a result of Brexit is indisputable, the pound has dropped in value is one example The Chancellor claimed that Brexit had blown a 130 billion pound hole in the public finances. May was preparing for an austerity budget had she won her thumping majority.

You will have to try again, find me any serious economic institution that predicted total economic meltdown. The only people who have ever claimed such things are Brexiters who refer to predictions of total economise meltdown being made by those in favour of Remain.

Obviously you are not reading. Here it is more plainly and there are countless more.

"Mr Soros said in his article that leaving the EU would see sterling fall by at least 15%, and possibly more than 20%, to below $1.15 from its current level of around $1.46.

"The value of the pound would decline precipitously," he writes. "It would also have an immediate and dramatic impact on financial markets, investment, prices and jobs.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36582026

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36273448

So your claim that no serious financial institution said that Brexit would cause a recession or financial meltdown is wrong. Carney is the Bank of England  and Soros, if you don't know who he is then, it is pointless debating with you.

Don't forget George Osborne who was chancellor at the time who also predicted a 'meltdown'.

15 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

? ? ? l thought he was for brexit. :unsure:

It depends, Boris wrote column after column castigating those who thought we should not be part of the EU. Then along comes a chance to become Tory leader or at the very least to put himself in the lead position once the post became available and he stood on his head. Only months before the referendum May was telling bankers that withdrawing from the EU was a silly idea and the UK was better off within the EU. 

5 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

It depends, Boris wrote column after column castigating those who thought we should not be part of the EU. Then along comes a chance to become Tory leader or at the very least to put himself in the lead position once the post became available and he stood on his head. Only months before the referendum May was telling bankers that withdrawing from the EU was a silly idea and the UK was better off within the EU. 

Correct, so what is your point ?

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Obviously you are not reading. Here it is more plainly and there are countless more.

"Mr Soros said in his article that leaving the EU would see sterling fall by at least 15%, and possibly more than 20%, to below $1.15 from its current level of around $1.46.

"The value of the pound would decline precipitously," he writes. "It would also have an immediate and dramatic impact on financial markets, investment, prices and jobs.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36582026

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36273448

So your claim that no serious financial institution said that Brexit would cause a recession or financial meltdown is wrong. Carney is the Bank of England  and Soros, if you don't know who he is then, it is pointless debating with you.

Don't forget George Osborne who was chancellor at the time who also predicted a 'meltdown'.

Nobody disputed that there would be serious economic repercussions in fact most warned that sterling would decline which it did. Nor did I say that nobody claimed there would be a recession but the claim by Brexiters that people like Carney or the IMF, IFS or any other organisation claimed there was going to be a total economic meltdown just didn't happen. In fact not even Osborne in his wildest moments ever claimed that. He was talking about an emergency budget and given what Hammond has said that now appears to be entirely justified. If you recall Osborne intended to balance the books within the lifetime of that parliament so given that Brexit blew a 130 billion pound hole in the public finances there is no doubt he would have needed to have had an emergency budget. Hammond abandoned that time scale but the indicators were that he was for the chop if May had got here way and that the Tory hard right wanted huge cuts in government spending, the very thing they condemned Osborne for saying during the referendum.

I hope you understand the difference between total economic meltdown, Armageddon etc and serious economic difficulties. 

4 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Correct, so what is your point ?

I wasn't replying to you I was replying to Kwasaki, yes Boris was in favour of Brexit but the reason he changed his mind was very simple, he wanted to be PM and if he had to ditch his previously held views so what.

20 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

I don't think anyone is disputing that we are leaving the EU, that decision has been taken and Article 50 invoked to begin the process. What is in dispute is what sort of arrangement we will now have. Norway are not in the EU neither is Switzerland but they have a relationship with the EU that allows them to be part of the single market. That is what Boris was telling everyone last June, leaving the EU did not mean leaving the Single Market. 

Don't worry about what Boris said,  people voted to leave the European Union, they didn't vote to leave the European union but stay in the Single market !

4 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

I wasn't replying to you I was replying to Kwasaki, yes Boris was in favour of Brexit but the reason he changed his mind was very simple, he wanted to be PM and if he had to ditch his previously held views so what.

Yes and i was asking you "what is your point" to this statement,

Only months before the referendum May was telling bankers that withdrawing from the EU was a silly idea and the UK was better off within the EU. 

Just now, alfieconn said:

Yes and i was asking you "what is your point" to this statement,

Only months before the referendum May was telling bankers that withdrawing from the EU was a silly idea and the UK was better off within the EU. 

Just like the point I made about Boris. May saw an opportunity to become PM so ditched her previously held views. If you read my previous posts can you imagine Thatcher ditching her views, can you imagine Clarke ditching his pro Remain views, can you imagine Bill Cash ditching his Pro Brexit views just to gain political advancement? Politicians like Thatcher, Clarke, Cash are conviction politicians they believe in what they say. Politicians such as May, Johnson and Leadsom are all about ambition. 

12 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Don't worry about what Boris said,  people voted to leave the European Union, they didn't vote to leave the European union but stay in the Single market !

8 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

What is your evidence for that, the vote was about leaving the EU nowhere did it say anything about anything else. 

Yeah lets ignore what Boris said about everything.

May won but lost
Corbyn lost but won
confusing?

Corbyn lost the GE but gained seats-check
May lost her inherited majority but is largest party-check

May currently remains in Government working alongside DUP in minority but largest party and focusing on a clean Brexit.
(or whatever brainwashed misinterpretation form of Brexit individual's wish to believe, read or accept).

Confusing? Summary, Only the disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, citybiker said:

May currently remains in Government working alongside DUP in minority but largest party and focusing on a clean Brexit.
(or whatever brainwashed misinterpretation form of Brexit individual's wish to believe, read or accept).

George Galloway and Nigel Farage reckon just get out! No more payments to Europe. First thing to do is reclaim our fishing waters. Negotiate as we go. Start trading with the rest of the world as of now. 

That's a stance I can accept as well.

27 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

George Galloway and Nigel Farage reckon just get out! No more payments to Europe. First thing to do is reclaim our fishing waters. Negotiate as we go. Start trading with the rest of the world as of now. 

But it is unrealistic, on which terms is the UK going to trade , WTO ?, and what do you propose to do when a member of the WTO object to our scheduales.

37 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I wasn't aware the the UK had stopped trading with the rest of the world.  Thanks for the update.

12 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

But it is unrealistic, on which terms is the UK going to trade , WTO ?, and what do you propose to do when a member of the WTO object to our scheduales.

There is simply too much of this trade protectionism going on worldwide. Protectionism leads to cartelism and big business running it all.

The UK has taken the bold step of leaving the sinking ship and now it is time to start opening our minds to world trade. Let's start with deals for those delicious bananas from the Caribbean that we couldn't get because of the EUs restrictive policies.

4 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

I wasn't aware the the UK had stopped trading with the rest of the world.  Thanks for the update.

The UK was trading with the rest of the world but under EU restrictive regulations.

5 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

There is simply too much of this trade protectionism going on worldwide. Protectionism leads to cartelism and big business running it all.

The UK has taken the bold step of leaving the sinking ship now it is time to start opening our minds to world trade. Let's start with deals for those delicious bananas from the Caribbean that we couldn't get because of the EUs restrictive policies.

Which is why multinational corporation and such hate free trade and love protectionism?  Maybe in oppositeworld they do.

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

The UK has a superior hand in the Brexit negotiations. The only thing that the EU has is scaremongering.

Because nations with a total of about 500 million people - the richest market in the world -  and the one closest to the UK - need Britain more than Britain needs them?  Makes sense. In oppositeworld.

9 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

The UK has taken the bold step of leaving the sinking ship and now it is time to start opening our minds to world trade. Let's start with deals for those delicious bananas from the Caribbean that we couldn't get because of the EUs restrictive policies.

You will find the restrictions on Bananas from the former colonies is due to the US succesfully complaining to the WTO , see the "bananas wars"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/1999/mar/05/eu.wto3

34 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

Do you honestly, seriously believe that the UK will be embargoed by the rest of the world Robin?

10 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

You will find the restrictions on Bananas from the former colonies is due to the US succesfully complaining to the WTO , see the "bananas wars"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/1999/mar/05/eu.wto3

Yes, and if somewhere like Swaziland would have been the plaintiff, I'm sure it would have been the same result. The fact that the US has such clout should give you an indication of what will happen wrt the UK.

16 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Because nations with a total of about 500 million people - the richest market in the world -  and the one closest to the UK - need Britain more than Britain needs them?  Makes sense. In oppositeworld.

Quite a few EU economies would suffer severely if trade with the UK was made difficult. Ireland's economy would probably crash. So, yes, they do need us rather a lot. And it would be interesting to see how united the EU remained if it came to this.

4 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Do you honestly, seriously believe that the UK will be embargoed by the rest of the world Robin?

On brexit we will have our own WTO scheduelles that will have to be accepted by all members , no doubt there will be some who will feel that they are at a disadvantage and will seek compromise.

10 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

I can remember the PM of a Caribbean country coming to the UK and going away empty handed on deals for fruit, especially bananas. They were too small, too yellow, too sweet and not straight enough. Made big news in the UK. I was living in Kingston (JA) at that time and I can recall the dismay. 

Archived