This has to be seen to be believed: Thai driver WALKS away from devastating car wreck

How any survives let alone walks away from such a mangled mess is astonishing...  That is on very very lucky chap. 

That said, I wonder how the accident occurred in the first place because that is some very serious damage, the car has been crushed like an empty coke can... there must have been some significant speed involved. 

Wow, what a lucky guy. Also lucky that there are skilful rescue services to hand.

A graphic example of just how dangerous these tree filled ditches are. I can't think of a more deadly way of lining the roadside.

I'm encouraged to see though that on recent widening projects on R22/223 (Udon Thani to That Thanon, they are installing solid raised mediums. They may not prevent the accidents, but at least the impact will be lessened.

Maybe the highways authority have realised, at long last that they need to build 'forgiving highways'.

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Wow, what a lucky guy. Also lucky that there are skilful rescue services to hand.

A graphic example of just how dangerous these tree filled ditches are. I can't think of a more deadly way of lining the roadside.

I'm encouraged to see though that on recent widening projects on R22/223 (Udon Thani to That Thanon, they are installing solid raised mediums. They may not prevent the accidents, but at least the impact will be lessened.

Maybe the highways authority have realised, at long last that they need to build 'forgiving highways'.

Agreed that the tree filled mediums are lethal, but the do prevent an errant driver (car) from crossing into oncoming traffic. 

As you mention, the only reasonable method to prevent excessive deviation is the solid median, its just safer all round, but more expensive to install and maintain - First World problem in a Third World country.... 

The topic has been tagged as containing video.  Where is it?

EDIT: Ah, it is on a commercial website designed to sell your personal data, so just forget the whole thing...

Edited by koo
Link found.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed that the tree filled mediums are lethal, but the do prevent an errant driver (car) from crossing into oncoming traffic. 

As you mention, the only reasonable method to prevent excessive deviation is the solid median, its just safer all round, but more expensive to install and maintain - First World problem in a Third World country.... 

The median strip or central reservation is the reserved area that separates opposing lanes of traffic on divided roadways, such as divided highways, dual carriageways, freeways, and motorways. The term also applies to divided roadways other than highways, such as some major streets in urban or suburban areas.

Unless you are referring to Mediums and their Ouija boards:smile:

14 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Looks like a modified Subaru Impreza to me.

It's even more modified now, and that's a pretty good guess I'd say.

You don't do that much damage to a car, even with trees , without significant speed being involved. 

2 minutes ago, chopin2 said:

Does anyone believe  this bloke as learnt something? Or will he be back on the roads driving like a maniac as soon as he managed to get a new picup?

A. No,

B. Yes

C. He will get another car not a pickup.

6 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

The median strip or central reservation is the reserved area that separates opposing lanes of traffic on divided roadways, such as divided highways, dual carriageways, freeways, and motorways. The term also applies to divided roadways other than highways, such as some major streets in urban or suburban areas.

Unless you are referring to Mediums and their Ouija boards:smile:

That might be Mediums and amulets...