Here is a complete list of dangerously venomous snakes that can be found around the Hua Hin / Cha Am area

I believe Russell's Viper may also be found in the area. This is a highly venomous and aggressive viper. According to thailandsnakes.com, an excellent reference for the snakes of Thailand, this is definitely a snake to avoid:

The Russel’s Viper or Chain Viper, Daboia viper snakes kill more people across the globe than any other snake. Their fangs are long, strong, and permit a lot of venom to be transferred in an instant.

ONE OF THE COMPLICATIONS OF A BITE FROM THIS SNAKE IS THAT A MAN’S TESTICLES MAY SHRIVEL (testicular atrophy), AND THERE MAY BE A LOSS OF PUBIC HAIR.

Even 3 Years AFTER THE BITE!

Run away!!!

Edited by bubba
Spell correction

3 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Complete list? Where are the sea snakes for a start? Do you mean they are dangerous because of the potency of their venom or because they are aggressive?

If you bothered to clik on the photos he posted each snake named describes if very potent or just so so poisoness and if agressive.

David Frohlich set up and runs a very informative Facebook page about snakes in Cha Am & Hua Hin and I believe he may be setting up the same for other areas of Thailand.  Let's congratulate and thank him for this work rather than criticise him, the information may not to to all inclusive, but what he does provide is very useful, interesting and informative.  Please you critics, try to control your superiority complexes. Thank you David, keep up the good work, many of us appreciate it.

17 hours ago, chas39 said:

Surely it would help to know the name of the snake so the hospital can apply the correct antidote. 

Correct . Mother in law was bitten by a snake in the back yard . At the hospital the doctor asked what species of snake which I did not know as I did not see it ( it had emerged from under the washing machine whilst mil was stood there and then disappeared ) . So I went back to the house and pulled out the wash tub which was placed on a dozen hollow blocks Looked into every block and the last one had the snake inside coiled up . Taken to the garden and fil hit it with a wooden pole and then placed in a cardboard box and then boot of the car . I went back to make sure there was no other snakes  Back to the car and going to close the car boot but checked the box and as I opened it the snake shot up . I threw it on the grass and smashed it with a steel tube . Took it to the hospital and i.d. was a young cobra about 2 feet long . Doc said more danger than an adult as they cannot control their venom release and give all . MIL in hospital for 3 weeks . On return home she developed shingles ( very painful ) as her immune system was low .

The following link gives good info ,   http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/05/160503-snake-bite-antivenom-asia-africa-animals/

4 hours ago, superal said:

Correct . Mother in law was bitten by a snake in the back yard . At the hospital the doctor asked what species of snake which I did not know as I did not see it ( it had emerged from under the washing machine whilst mil was stood there and then disappeared ) . So I went back to the house and pulled out the wash tub which was placed on a dozen hollow blocks Looked into every block and the last one had the snake inside coiled up . Taken to the garden and fil hit it with a wooden pole and then placed in a cardboard box and then boot of the car . I went back to make sure there was no other snakes  Back to the car and going to close the car boot but checked the box and as I opened it the snake shot up . I threw it on the grass and smashed it with a steel tube . Took it to the hospital and i.d. was a young cobra about 2 feet long . Doc said more danger than an adult as they cannot control their venom release and give all . MIL in hospital for 3 weeks . On return home she developed shingles ( very painful ) as her immune system was low .

The following link gives good info ,   http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/05/160503-snake-bite-antivenom-asia-africa-animals/

THX for the useful information !

7 hours ago, superal said:

Hospital had antivenin ? How much did you pay ?

21 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Hospital had antivenin ? How much did you pay ?

All free but pay for VIP room 1000 baht a night but not what I would call VIP , fairly basic private room with own tv and bathroom 

18 hours ago, pcliff069 said:

Will certainly help the hospital select the correct anti venom.

Sent from my A37f using Tapatalk

There is a general anti venom that can be used for 18 varieties of snakes and I believe it is being developed in Thailand 

• 3 weeks later...