gas station attendent accidentaly puts '95s' in my car

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Quick hijack..... is it ok to constantly use '95 in a motorcycle that has the '91 sticker under the seat?..... I've been doing this under the impression it's better for the engine

No better but some believe it is. :biggrin:

Your engine is designed run on 91 E10 no less so 95 E10 OK.

Forget when but there was a report 91 E10 will be fazed out leaving only 95 E10 & E20 & E85. 

19 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

No better but some believe it is. 

Your engine is designed run on 91 E10 no less so 95 E10 OK.

Forget when but there was a report 91 E10 will be fazed out leaving only 95 E10 & E20 & E85. 

I've had cars that were designed (advertised anyway) to run on lower octane fuel that pinged quite a bit until I ran higher octane in them.  Probably carbon fouling or timing/computer issues, or maybe that pinging was the sound of saving me money by running almost too lean.  But it drove me crazy. 

25 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Some mom&pop filling stations in my area have already dropped 91.

44 minutes ago, impulse said:

I've had cars that were designed (advertised anyway) to run on lower octane fuel that pinged quite a bit until I ran higher octane in them.  Probably carbon fouling or timing/computer issues, or maybe that pinging was the sound of saving me money by running almost too lean.  But it drove me crazy. 

Understand what you mean and usually a problem with the knock sensor also where fuel is bought from also what sort of condition the car engine is in.

46 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Some mom&pop filling stations in my area have already dropped 91.

Yeah remember reading about it but forget when it was being introduced.

Many coin operated and manual pumps in our village soi's only do 95 and l thought it was because they make more money out of it,  apart from the shortfall. :whistling:.

Quick hijack..... is it ok to constantly use '95 in a motorcycle that has the '91 sticker under the seat?..... I've been doing this under the impression it's better for the engine

Higher octagon won't hurt anything. I did the same for my pc. Before and after the mods I ran the benzene.

You should refill  with 95 every 1000kms it helps clean your injectors , no harm by putting in 95 by mistake , he has accullary done you a favour. You will also note better mileage per litre using 95 . Think of it this way the 95 is Jonny Walker Blue and the E10 is see zip Thai whiskey , you car will still run but you wake up a lot better on the JW Blue. 

1 hour ago, Monkeyrobot said:

You should refill  with 95 every 1000kms it helps clean your injectors , no harm by putting in 95 by mistake , he has accullary done you a favour. You will also note better mileage per litre using 95 . Think of it this way the 95 is Jonny Walker Blue and the E10 is see zip Thai whiskey , you car will still run but you wake up a lot better on the JW Blue. 

Sorry to sound thick but is that kosher advice?

my BM says 91 which I have followed religiously but if the occasional snifter of 95 does the old girl good then I am a convert!

11 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

Sorry to sound thick but is that kosher advice?

my BM says 91 which I have followed religiously but if the occasional snifter of 95 does the old girl good then I am a convert!

95 gives you better performance and better mileage, thus the price difference, for the extra couple of bucks I use the 95. 

7 minutes ago, Monkeyrobot said:

Sang song it's 40% alcohol , Thais call it see zip = 40 . It is rum but they label it as whiskey.

Thanks. Ive googled "sang song" but the results leave me just as bewildered as see zip.

If you say it is Rum/whiskey I'll take your word for it.

Edited by Techno Viking

Just now, Monkeyrobot said:

95 gives you better performance and better mileage, thus the price difference, for the extra couple of bucks I use the 95. 

Well slap my bottom and call me Susan, do I feel stupid?

thanks very much for that. The old girl is currently at the BM hospital for a rather unusual A/C blower investigation ( and repair) and an annoying minuscule water leak from the cooling system.

bowled up to the engineers yesterday only to find the rocker cover off (?) and the seal all crumbled up in the cam casing. 

When she she comes back I will try your cure though I believe that only Plod will benefit from enhanced performance. 

Sorry for going off off topic but would the higher octane level not have a tendency to burn at a higher temp? And would that not potentially cause additional wear to my baby's heart?

5 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

Well slap my bottom and call me Susan, do I feel stupid?

thanks very much for that. The old girl is currently at the BM hospital for a rather unusual A/C blower investigation ( and repair) and an annoying minuscule water leak from the cooling system.

bowled up to the engineers yesterday only to find the rocker cover off (?) and the seal all crumbled up in the cam casing. 

When she she comes back I will try your cure though I believe that only Plod will benefit from enhanced performance. 

Sorry for going off off topic but would the higher octane level not have a tendency to burn at a higher temp? And would that not potentially cause additional wear to my baby's heart?

Your vehicle is taken care of by engineers?

Thats a bit over the top, mine is attended to by a lowly mechanic !!

Surprising how many users of this fabulous thing called a computer don't seem to know how to use it.

GOOGLE (caps intended) this question and you will find several informative explanations and reference material that answer this confusing matter adequately.  I offer one of them as an example:

Five Facts of Using Premium vs. Regular Gas

March 03, 2011

cohdrankngaspump1-1024x331.jpg

1) If your car does not require premium gas, there are no added benefits to your car’s performance or longevity. Simply put, you’re paying good money for something you don’t need. Premium costs 15-30 cents more a gallon than regular. In a consumer notice, the Federal Trade Commission, notes: “In most cases, using a higher-octane gasoline than your owner’s manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won’t make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner.” Enough said.

2) If your car requires premium gas, in most cases it won’t hurt your car (or void the warranty) to use regular gas. The reason your car asks for premium gas is because your vehicle has a high compression engine. Unless you hear severe knocking in your engine when using regular, in most cases there is no harm to your car by not using premium. Most modern cars have knock sensors and computers that adjust settings and maximize performance for various fuel grades.   Fuel economy could also be slightly reduced when using regular fuel on a vehicle that requires premium gas. If you’re leasing, you may want to be more cautious about using premium if required by the manufacturer, in the off chance that using regular does affect the engine.

Note: Keep in mind you may need that extra power if you are towing a lot of weight (especially over steep hills), performance driving (hard acceleration), driving in extreme heat, or any combination of the three.

3) Cars with turbochargers (high-performance engines) or older, heavier cars may require premium gasoline and should be used to prevent knocking. According to an article in Scientific American, these cars have higher compression ratios and will knock without the premium fuel.

4) If your car requires premium gas, using premium will allow you to optimize your car’s power. You will not achieve the advertised horsepower on a vehicle that requires premium unless you use premium, although most consumers will not even notice the change in power when switching from premium to regular.HighGasPrices-e1299184987607-223x300.jpg

5) The octane rating of premium and regular gasoline varies from state to state. One state may require a minimum rating of 92 to be considered premium, while another may require only 90. Most gas stations offer three octane grades: regular (usually 87 octane), mid-grade (usually 89 octane) and premium (usually 91 or 93). Consult the yellow stickers on each gasoline pump that are mandatory and indicate the octane rating,

And, something else to consider: Six automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi, believe using Top Tier Gasoline that contains a higher-percentage of detergent additive from that required by the EPA standard, provides optimal engine performance. They claim that lower concentrations of detergent additive lowers the quality of gasoline and can leave deposits on engine parts, such as fuel injectors and intake valves, which can lower engine performance, vehicle responsiveness and increase emissions. BMW, General Motors, Honda and Toyota developed the Top Tier standards under which gas retailers must meet in order to qualify as a Top Tier gasoline retailer.

1 minute ago, bangkokairportlink said:

and do we know if using only E20 is bad for long term ? Should we use "pure" gasoline sometimes ?

The vehicle hand book will have suggestions for recommended fuel types, deviate from those and there is potential for issues in the long term.

Just now, Techno Viking said:

The vehicle hand book will have suggestions for recommended fuel types, deviate from those and there is potential for issues in the long term.

So if they say E20 we should use E20 forever. But what when the same car is sold in countries where there is not E20 or similar ?

3 minutes ago, TGIR said:

Surprising how many users of this fabulous thing called a computer don't seem to know how to use it.

GOOGLE (caps intended) this question and you will find several informative explanations and reference material that answer this confusing matter adequately.  I offer one of them as an example:

Five Facts of Using Premium vs. Regular Gas

March 03, 2011

cohdrankngaspump1-1024x331.jpg

1) If your car does not require premium gas, there are no added benefits to your car’s performance or longevity. Simply put, you’re paying good money for something you don’t need. Premium costs 15-30 cents more a gallon than regular. In a consumer notice, the Federal Trade Commission, notes: “In most cases, using a higher-octane gasoline than your owner’s manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won’t make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner.” Enough said.

2) If your car requires premium gas, in most cases it won’t hurt your car (or void the warranty) to use regular gas. The reason your car asks for premium gas is because your vehicle has a high compression engine. Unless you hear severe knocking in your engine when using regular, in most cases there is no harm to your car by not using premium. Most modern cars have knock sensors and computers that adjust settings and maximize performance for various fuel grades.   Fuel economy could also be slightly reduced when using regular fuel on a vehicle that requires premium gas. If you’re leasing, you may want to be more cautious about using premium if required by the manufacturer, in the off chance that using regular does affect the engine.

Note: Keep in mind you may need that extra power if you are towing a lot of weight (especially over steep hills), performance driving (hard acceleration), driving in extreme heat, or any combination of the three.

3) Cars with turbochargers (high-performance engines) or older, heavier cars may require premium gasoline and should be used to prevent knocking. According to an article in Scientific American, these cars have higher compression ratios and will knock without the premium fuel.

4) If your car requires premium gas, using premium will allow you to optimize your car’s power. You will not achieve the advertised horsepower on a vehicle that requires premium unless you use premium, although most consumers will not even notice the change in power when switching from premium to regular.HighGasPrices-e1299184987607-223x300.jpg

5) The octane rating of premium and regular gasoline varies from state to state. One state may require a minimum rating of 92 to be considered premium, while another may require only 90. Most gas stations offer three octane grades: regular (usually 87 octane), mid-grade (usually 89 octane) and premium (usually 91 or 93). Consult the yellow stickers on each gasoline pump that are mandatory and indicate the octane rating,

And, something else to consider: Six automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi, believe using Top Tier Gasoline that contains a higher-percentage of detergent additive from that required by the EPA standard, provides optimal engine performance. They claim that lower concentrations of detergent additive lowers the quality of gasoline and can leave deposits on engine parts, such as fuel injectors and intake valves, which can lower engine performance, vehicle responsiveness and increase emissions. BMW, General Motors, Honda and Toyota developed the Top Tier standards under which gas retailers must meet in order to qualify as a Top Tier gasoline retailer.

Is E20 premium ? Performance cars use it.