SS Form 7162 "Are you still alive" has arrived

NancyL

Looks like it's the time of year when U.S. Social Security sends out their annual "are you still alive" form to recipients who have listed Chiang Mai as their mailing address.  Hubby received his SSA-7162 form on Friday.  Has anyone else received theirs?

Each year SSA sends this to recipients who have foreign mailing addresses on file.  It's a simple matter to complete, sign and mail the form, but failure to do so will result in your benefits being suspended.  They do send a follow-up form in 60 days if you've failed to respond.

Anyone else received their SSA-7162 yet?

A lot of TV users don't look at the Home Country forum and here in Chiang Mai, Lanna Care Net answers many phone calls each year from people who are mystified as to why their SS benefit stopped arriving.

35 minutes ago, NancyL said:

A lot of TV users don't look at the Home Country forum and here in Chiang Mai, Lanna Care Net answers many phone calls each year from people who are mystified as to why their SS benefit stopped arriving.

The topic that was moved was not specifically for Chiang Mai so the home country forum was the correct place for it.

Anybody that is getting SS payments should be aware the letters are mailed in June and if the they have not gotten the 2nd report request by September they should contact the SSA in Manila.

Anybody that is getting SS payments should be aware the letters are mailed in June and if the they have not gotten the 2nd report request by September they should contact the SSA in Manila.

SSA never gave me any documentation to that effect.

Good to have this on the CM Forum.

Brits have to get "proof of life" confirmed by acceptable officials, B Bank used-to do it they stopped a year or two ago.

Lawyers charge, had the estate accountant sign off on it last year with no problems.

Thought about a selfie in a mirror with the days newspaper but thought that may not be acceptable! :smile:

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Brits have to get "proof of life" confirmed by acceptable officials, B Bank used-to do it they stopped a year or two ago.

Lawyers charge, had the estate accountant sign off on it last year with no problems.

Thought about a selfie in a mirror with the days newspaper but thought that may not be acceptable! :smile:

Yes, I always thought the requirements of the Brits to be a little excessive and burdensome.  They really do call the form "proof of life" don't they?  Like you're a hostage or something?

This USA notice only refers to those folks who have no permanent address in the USA.  I think.  I use my daughter's address, in NC,  for all my banking, credit card, IRS, etc and have no need to tell anyone that i am yet alive.  No one really cares but me anyway.

11 hours ago, NancyL said:

Yes, I always thought the requirements of the Brits to be a little excessive and burdensome.  They really do call the form "proof of life" don't they?  Like you're a hostage or something?

Actually the British aren't that bad, they don't send the form every year. My German pension provider sends one every year as does my old firm for my company pension.

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Actually the British aren't that bad, they don't send the form every year. My German pension provider sends one every year as does my old firm for my company pension.

I get one every year from the UK gov....Pain in the ass...:sad:

13 hours ago, Thailand said:

It is up to the local Branch of Bangkok Bank and your relationship to the Manager. Most Thais do not want to sign such documents as they feel that there may be some hidden consequences. I got my Bank Manager to give me the proof of life at Bangkok Bank after I explained in the UK witnessing by Bank Managers is routine. 

23 minutes ago, transam said:

I get one every year from the UK gov....Pain in the ass...:sad:

you think that is a pain,try doing three all at different times of the year. I wrote an E-mail to DWP to ask them to send me the form per E-mail because of the poor service by the post here, i also asked when i should send the form so i wouldn't have to wait for the letter from them, i was told that they don't send it to each individual every year but rather they send it out to a sample of pensioners, last year i didn't get one but the year before that i did. 

19 hours ago, NancyL said:

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The topic that was moved was not specifically for Chiang Mai so the home country forum was the correct place for it.

18 hours ago, Gonzo the Face said:

I'm with you on this one Nancy.    Been on this site almost since the start,  so am not a newbie and I never was aware of something called " Home Country".    and I also got mine Friday.

Yes, so far the post in the "Home Country" forum has something like 270 views while this one in the CM forum has 330 views.  There are many American retirees in Chiang Mai.  

I don't know why Brits who live outside CM are looking at this post, however, and have started to hijack the thread with chatter about their old TV shows.  Must not have enough to do with their day.

45 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Can' t help wondering what the purpose of the question is Nancy.

Some may have and some may not have....how does that information assist you?

Probably a rhetorical question meant more as a reminder to those of us 

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Topic posted yesterday I moved to the home country forum.

Mine took 1 month to arrive last July so was advised by a friend to email them back of delay in receipt  of form & date sent by EMS to UK Pensions requesting also that they acknowledge receipt which they duly did cost 1k bt for notorized declaration plus postage plus stress level up this time every year now.

19 hours ago, Thailand said:

Don't know if this of any use,  but I get a Doctor to make out a declaration, a good hospital, with the hospital stamp, the first two they charged one hundred baht, the third time my Doc did it for free, I do have a yearly health check done there, like the bit about the selfie, made me laugh, P.S, that's  for the state one and my private pension.

Edited by eddysmit
incorrect information.

Thanks for the heads up Nancy.  Guess it's time to make a trip to CM to check my mailbox.  :thumbsup:  Well, that's if it goes to CM.  I forwarded an address change to Manila but???  We'll see.  At least I know it's on the way...somewhere.  Lol

Edited by connda

18 hours ago, oldlakey said:

You missed the classic of all time   I Love Lucy

That coloured my view of our North American cousins for years, when I finally met a few it confirmed my worst suspicions 

I did forget about that show and you are correct