"Goo - meung" - taxi driver rant over change perplexes female passenger

webfact

3 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"Bangkok taxi driver started swearing at her for not having the correct change...and she should have thought of that before."

Just another example of not having a clue about business. The driver was the businessman in this situation and it was his responsibility to have change. I continually encounter proprietors of local businesses who don't have change, and get on their motor bikes to go around finding 5 - 20 baht worth of change when handed more than the cost of an item. How difficult is it to go to a bank at the beginning of a business day and obtain various denominations in order to  be prepared for customers?

And Thailand wants to compete with the rest of Asia to be the "hub" of business? 

you went from one taxi driver not having change to competing with the rest of Asia, that is some leap

3 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"Bangkok taxi driver started swearing at her for not having the correct change...and she should have thought of that before."

Just another example of not having a clue about business. The driver was the businessman in this situation and it was his responsibility to have change. I continually encounter proprietors of local businesses who don't have change, and get on their motor bikes to go around finding 5 - 20 baht worth of change when handed more than the cost of an item. How difficult is it to go to a bank at the beginning of a business day and obtain various denominations in order to  be prepared for customers?

And Thailand wants to compete with the rest of Asia to be the "hub" of business? 

The common assumption about the law on this subject is wrong.

Actually by law (in Thailand and in most if not all countries) the buyer is responsible to give the correct payment. The fact that the final payment amount is not yet known doesn't change that law. 

Although there is a courtesy expectation, and a good business / customer service approach that the seller provide change this is not required by law. 

However abusive language is another matter and inappropriate. 

4 hours ago, jaltsc said:

Is that a legal requirement in LoS that taxi drivers have suitable change?

Or is it a legal requirement that customers pay what the meter says?

How difficult to be prepared? Many drivers would quite simply not have any money to change.

1 minute ago, melvinmelvin said:

Is that a legal requirement in LoS that taxi drivers have suitable change?

Or is it a legal requirement that customers pay what the meter says?

How difficult to be prepared? Many drivers would quite simply not have any money to change.

The common assumption about the law on this subject is wrong.

Actually by law (in Thailand and in most if not all countries) the buyer is responsible to give the correct payment. The fact that the final payment amount is not yet known doesn't change that law. 

Although there is a courtesy expectation, and a good business / customer service approach that the seller provide change this is not required by law. 

However abusive language is another matter and inappropriate. 

4 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

:smile:   Obligatory statement. Can't make a complaint against Taxis unless you make this admission.

I complained about a taxi to the police once. Similarly abusive, with an added touch of racism. The driver challenged me 'see what happens if you try to get out without paying'. I answered 'okay' and did exactly that!

What happened?

The driver lost his car and licence within 2 days.

I had very very few real problems with taxis over the years beyond the obligatory refusals to let me get in (wrong destination or whatever) mostly corrected by Grabtaxi.

Police WILL get these idiots off the road - it's not as if we'll run out of good taxis.

Edited by ben2talk

4 hours ago, Rob13 said:

I wonder what percentage of 7-11's sales are due to people needing change.

Yeah, and they're great about it, never complain about giving change for a 1000 no matter how little you buy. 

6 hours ago, rkidlad said:

The biggest offence here is the using of bad words. Murder? Meh. Bad words? You've shamed someone! 

Taxi drivers are a public service. They should have change. She didn't hand over 1000 baht, It was 100. At the very least the driver should have 40 baht change. It's just the usual zero planning and zero care again. Always the customer's fault 'cos apparently customers should more professional in Thailand. 

It's the usual taxi response to this situation, 100 baht note for a 60 baht ride... hoping for a "okay keep the change reply" !!

6 hours ago, rkidlad said:

The biggest offence here is the using of bad words. Murder? Meh. Bad words? You've shamed someone! 

Taxi drivers are a public service. They should have change. She didn't hand over 1000 baht, It was 100. At the very least the driver should have 40 baht change. It's just the usual zero planning and zero care again. Always the customer's fault 'cos apparently customers should more professional in Thailand. 

He expected a 40-baht tip.

Probably.

7 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

It's the only time I use them...

I think they are part of a large conglomerate which does not necessarily understand corporate governance.

Alleged Insider trading rings a bell.

Manly voice... but anyway, giving a 100 baht for a 60-baht ride is totally appropriate - every driver has 40 baht change. I personally rarely carry 20 baht notes, except when someone gives them to me in my change. The girl (?) was in the right.

3 hours ago, just.a.thought said:

"Grab Taxi" download the app then you don't have to deal with idiots like that and you have everything on record 

Correct... 

The rejections are just a minor irritation, a driver having change is just another minor irritation. Getting a Taxi in central Bangkok at night generally becomes 'just a minor irritation'... GRAB and UBER resolve this (where available).

That said, we are spoiled in Bangkok, these issues are nothing compared to the transport issues in other Cities in Thailand. 

Taxi drivers are supposed to have enough change for the customer. I have a retail shop, my shop always have ready change for my customers.

This taxi driver is an idiot. I have come across Taxi drivers like this before who started behaving in this manner when he does not have change. I didn't give in and told him he should be responsible for his own business and provide a good service. There is no logic that I will know how much my fare will be and have exactly the amount. 

When he wanted to charge me more for driving to a 7-11 for exchange for more fare. I made him go into the 7-11 and change for me and made him bring me back to my destination and paid only what was supposed to be.

Don't give in. Well maybe if he has a gun, just give in 1st then call the Land Transport later ... 

I think the passenger was somewhat in the wrong, taxis cannot be expected to have change all day. Nor be expected to drive to the 7-11 and back for free!  The diversion did bring the fare to 95 baht where the proffered 100 baht note works!

Being ill-mannered and abusive is another matter but on par for taxis. 

17 hours ago, kalidescopemind said:

40 baht is a $1.25 tip.  How cheap is the lady?   I know its not common to tip in Thailand, but why get so worked up over $1.25?  Life is too short.  That taxi ride cost $30 in the USA.

this is how Thai's get spoilt, rude and dishonest and this is how prices get inflated!!!...it is a duty of every  farang from a strong currency country to be responsible abroad, tip and pay to local standards and not make a show of wealth just due to favourable exchange rates...would you leave a 40US$ tip my dear fellow in TrumpLand? I doubt it...

Twice now, over 20 plus years,  I have gone into a 7/11 store to get change for the taxi driver and there was a fairly long queue.....and when I finally came out the cab driver was not there.

It is their job, their responsibility to carry correct change ..same as any cash business operation.

Some of them feign innocence and claim they have no change just to get the extra money...say a 70 baht meter charge and you give them a 100 baht bill ...and they claim they do not have change ...or short change you saying they have only 17 baht in coins....like that

So what do you do...get in an argument with a TAXI driver or accept the small loss....or....say: "wait here"..... and go find a store or someone to make small change for you and do their job for them....lol

Cheers 

• 2 weeks later...
40 baht is a $1.25 tip.  How cheap is the lady?   I know its not common to tip in Thailand, but why get so worked up over $1.25?  Life is too short.  That taxi ride cost $30 in the USA.

Thai's are not expected to throw around large tips to avoid being hissed at as a bird shit farang, wish we had not imported tipping and this is not America either.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It's the new favourite, around the world . Sorry no change . Tell the to come back tomorrow for money . And surprise surprise big bag of change and notes under the seat . Oh sorry I forgot , smile smile 555

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

I would like to see a link to any "law" anywhere in the world where it is the customer's duty to tender exact change.
I smell BS.

You would probably have to look very hard to find such a stipulation.

But it is commonly understood and accepted around the world that customers/buyers/consumers have to settle the bill.

If they dont have exact amount and seller doesn't have change they must pay upwards,

unless there is a stipulation that seller is obligated to provide change.

In some countries taxi drivers are by law required to be able to provide change to such and such bills,

I doubt, however, that that is the case in LoS.

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

You would probably have to look very hard to find such a stipulation.

But it is commonly understood and accepted around the world that customers/buyers/consumers have to settle the bill.

If they dont have exact amount and seller doesn't have change they must pay upwards,

unless there is a stipulation that seller is obligated to provide change.

In some countries taxi drivers are by law required to be able to provide change to such and such bills,

I doubt, however, that that is the case in LoS.

Yes. Some areas of the US drivers are required to have change of $20. If they do not, they must turn off the meter and go to someplace they can get change.
That was the deal when I was a part time hack, anyhow. :smile: