France's Macron says EU door remains open to UK

webfact

France's Macron says EU door remains open to UK

By Michel Rose and Elizabeth Piper

tag-reuters-4.jpg

French President Emmanuel Macron (R) listens to Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May as they attend a joint press conference at the Elysee Palace in Paris, France, June 13, 2017. REUTERS/Philippe Wojazer

PARIS (Reuters) - French President Emmanuel Macron said on Tuesday that the door to the European Union remains open to the United Kingdom as long as exit negotiations are not concluded, but it would be difficult to walk back once negotiations start.

Asked at a joint news conference with British Prime Minister Theresa May in Paris whether he agreed with German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble who earlier told Bloomberg that Britain would find "open doors" if it changed its mind, Macron replied:

"The door of course is still open as long as Brexit negotiations have not been concluded, but a sovereign decision to leave the EU has been taken and I respect that decision."

May said the timetable for Brexit negotiations remained on course with talks due to start next week. The two leaders met for a working dinner before together attending a France vs England friendly soccer match at the Stade de France stadium in Paris.

Macron's comments that it was not too late for Britain to remain inside the EU came as May faces a tug-of-war within her own party over her Brexit strategy following a disastrous snap election which she called.

Before the election May had proposed a clean break from the EU, involving a withdrawal from Europe's single market, but now weakened with a minority government, some in her party are calling for a more business-friendly approach.

After meeting May for the first time during the French presidential campaign last February, Macron had said the British prime minister should not expect any favours from the European Union during Brexit talks.

He told reporters outside 10 Downing Street at the time that "an exit is an exit."

On Tuesday, May and Macron also said they had agreed on an action plan on counter-terrorism. Both countries have been hit by deadly Islamist militant attacks in recent months.

Macron said Internet companies would be asked to do more to remove content promoting terrorism, access to encrypted content on online messaging systems would be widened, and co-operation with the United States on online content would be improved.

(Additional reporting by Marine Pennetier; Writing by Bate Felix; Editing by Richard Lough)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-14

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

I don't get what he means? the British people voted out, without another referendum (unlikely) out we will go one way or the other,deal or no deal

What he means is that this is a very messy issue for everyone. He was suggesting that if recognition that it was going to be really shitty occurs, the doorway to remaining will remain open from the EU side. He is offering the UK a little wiggle room, in case it changes its mind.

Yesterday we had the same message from the German Finance Minister.

Some Europeans do not seem to understand that we are really leaving the EU.

The only decision that remains is how we leave. Most people in the UK prefer a so called soft Brexit, but if the Europeans make unreasonable demands then we will leave under more difficult circumstances for both the UK and Europe.

1 hour ago, carbine1125 said:

Merkel has had a go now its the frogs turn. Can't the EU come up with a spokesperson? 

It's just that the frogs tell to the beefsteaks: " before you lose ( almost ) everything, we give you a last occasion to stay with us " ; is it too difficult to understand for a beefsteak brain ? :post-4641-1156694572:

1 hour ago, Aforek said:

It's just that the frogs tell to the beefsteaks: " before you lose ( almost ) everything, we give you a last occasion to stay with us " ; is it too difficult to understand for a beefsteak brain ? :post-4641-1156694572:

It's harder to understand your post! But really in the log run it will be the EU who will lose. We will see how the frogs like their Increased euro bill. 

Well we all know that the EU needs reforms and it is mightily flawed.  It was always Cameron's argument that Britain should fight for the reforms from within.  At the ill-advised referendum people voted to leave and therefore any option of changing the EU from within disappeared.  Now with Macron there is a chance that some of the reforms can be achieved but for the UK that will be too late.

Britain does have options when it comes to negotiations but we cannot expect any favours from the Europeans.

1 hour ago, carbine1125 said:

It's harder to understand your post! But really in the log run it will be the EU who will lose. We will see how the frogs like their Increased euro bill. 

In 2015 France spent a net of 0.2 percent of its Gross National Income on the EU.

http://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/countries/member-countries/france_en

It might jump to 0.25 percent after Brexit. Hardly a major blow.  And given that they could pick up a fair amount of businesses that will have to relocate to the EU, France might even come out ahead.

But one sure loser will be the UK.

4 hours ago, terryw said:

The only decision that remains is how we leave. Most people in the UK prefer a so called soft Brexit, but if the Europeans make unreasonable demands then we will leave under more difficult circumstances for both the UK and Europe.

Yes, it is strange how keen the EU now is to suggest that the UK could stay in the EU if the UK were to change its mind, as I had gathered from several previous comments that they were anxious to get shot of us.  Had they been rather more sympathetic to the UK's wishes when Cameron came calling early last year, this situation may not have arisen.  

Suddenly now, the EU is apparently determined to make changes to the way it operates so as to take into account certain countries' wishes. possibly in the form of a two-tier system, or two-speed system, which will not please many of the smaller members.

However, the declared move towards a United States of Europe will surely only reinforce the UK's decision to leave. 

Merkel and Macron probably believe that between them they have now got Europe stitched up but Macron could see violent protests in the Streets of Paris and other major cities once, with his large majority, he passes legislation adversely affecting French workers.

France has a rich history of such protests, many of which have been successful in resulting in a reversal of supposedly important policies needed to improve the French economy.   Half of his new politicians have no experience at all in Government, so it will be interesting to see how long his honeymoon period will last.

Meanwhile Mr Corbyn derides May's minority Government, suggesting that he could be PM after another early election, but he has a substantial gap to make up to match the current number of Tory MP's and in all probability would also find himself, at best, trying to form a minority Government.  With whom, though?   The SNP and the Lib Dems are adamant that they will not form any coalition with Labour, so who would Labour join hands with?

2 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Yes, it is strange how keen the EU now is to suggest that the UK could stay in the EU if the UK were to change its mind, as I had gathered from several previous comments that they were anxious to get shot of us.  Had they been rather more sympathetic to the UK's wishes when Cameron came calling early last year, this situation may not have arisen.  

Suddenly now, the EU is apparently determined to make changes to the way it operates so as to take into account certain countries' wishes. possibly in the form of a two-tier system, or two-speed system, which will not please many of the smaller members.

However, the declared move towards a United States of Europe will surely only reinforce the UK's decision to leave. 

Merkel and Macron probably believe that between them they have now got Europe stitched up but Macron could see violent protests in the Streets of Paris and other major cities once, with his large majority, he passes legislation adversely affecting French workers.

France has a rich history of such protests, many of which have been successful in resulting in a reversal of supposedly important policies needed to improve the French economy.   Half of his new politicians have no experience at all in Government, so it will be interesting to see how long his honeymoon period will last.

Meanwhile Mr Corbyn derides May's minority Government, suggesting that he could be PM after another early election, but he has a substantial gap to make up to match the current number of Tory MP's and in all probability would also find himself, at best, trying to form a minority Government.  With whom, though?   The SNP and the Lib Dems are adamant that they will not form any coalition with Labour, so who would Labour join hands with?

Really? The SNP is adamant it will not form any coaltion with Labor?

Nicola Sturgeon confirms interest in a coalition with Labour as she says Tory governments 'damage Scotland'

She said she did not want to see a Tory government while adding that she did not think Mr Corbyn was a credible choice as prime minister.

But she also told the BBC that if there was a hung parliament then “of course we would look to be part of a progressive alliance that pursued progressive policies”.

Asked in an earlier interview with Sophy Ridge on Sky News who she would prefer as prime minister, she replied: “I don’t want to see Tory governments and Tory prime ministers, I think they do real damage to Scotland.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/28/warning-coalition-chaos-nicola-sturgeon-says-would-seek-progressive/

4 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

The EU have always said that they would welcome the UK changing it's mind but May's aggressive stance made her opposition to that very clear.  However once the UK did vote out I think we now have to stick with that.  There is no doubt that Cameron failed to change the mindset of the EU at the time.  His argument was to try to change the system from within because once you are out you have no voice at all.  I think many of us hoped that with the UK leaving the EU it would result in their collapse (I know I did) but on the contrary with the French voting in Macron and Merkel strengthening her position  the EU will survive fine without us.

7 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Really? The SNP is adamant it will not form any coaltion with Labor?

Nicola Sturgeon confirms interest in a coalition with Labour as she says Tory governments 'damage Scotland'

She said she did not want to see a Tory government while adding that she did not think Mr Corbyn was a credible choice as prime minister.

But she also told the BBC that if there was a hung parliament then “of course we would look to be part of a progressive alliance that pursued progressive policies”.

Asked in an earlier interview with Sophy Ridge on Sky News who she would prefer as prime minister, she replied: “I don’t want to see Tory governments and Tory prime ministers, I think they do real damage to Scotland.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/28/warning-coalition-chaos-nicola-sturgeon-says-would-seek-progressive/

Nicola Sturgeon said that she would "look to be part to be part of a progressive alliance that pursued progressive policies".   I think that adequately confirms my point that she would NOT join hands with Labour, despite your headline.  Has she realised yet that Labour, like the Tories, support Brexit? 

3 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Nicola Sturgeon said that she would "look to be part to be part of a progressive alliance that pursued progressive policies".   I think that adequately confirms my point that she would NOT join hands with Labour, despite your headline.  Has she realised yet that Labour, like the Tories, support Brexit? 

She singled out the Tories as being destructive to Scotland. Why do you think she mentioned them and not Labour?

Just now, ilostmypassword said:

She singled out the Tories as being destructive to Scotland. Why do you think she mentioned them and not Labour?

Nicola knows that the Tories have more sense than to have anything to do with her and her one-theme agenda.

She also goes on and on about taking Scotland out of the UK, with the former remaining in the EU, both pipe-dreams, so she should not be taken seriously.

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

What he means is that this is a very messy issue for everyone. He was suggesting that if recognition that it was going to be really shitty occurs, the doorway to remaining will remain open from the EU side. He is offering the UK a little wiggle room, in case it changes its mind.

Why should the UK change its mind? They made the correct decision in a referendum.

34 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

The EU have always said that they would welcome the UK changing it's mind but May's aggressive stance made her opposition to that very clear.  However once the UK did vote out I think we now have to stick with that.  There is no doubt that Cameron failed to change the mindset of the EU at the time.  His argument was to try to change the system from within because once you are out you have no voice at all.  I think many of us hoped that with the UK leaving the EU it would result in their collapse (I know I did) but on the contrary with the French voting in Macron and Merkel strengthening her position  the EU will survive fine without us.

TM did not have an aggressive stance, she was merely attempting to act on the wishes of the people as per the referendum.

Juncker leaking the contents of the Downing St meeting made her a bit bolshy, but that's understandable, he's a loathesome little jobby.

4 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Why should the UK change its mind? They made the correct decision in a referendum.

They did vote out in the referendum.  Unfortunately much of their decision to do so was based on lies (from both sides) and now slowly people are realising that Brexit is not what they thought it was.  I still believe that now we have voted out we have to stick to it, even though it was clearly the wrong decision at the time.

Of course you will have different view to me and I understand that.

8 hours ago, terryw said:

What unreasonable demands? The EU have been remarkably reasonable. Like good parents?

5 hours ago, carbine1125 said:

Nobody gives a damn. Honestly, I promise you....

2 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Most Tories AND most Labour want to remain. Sorry but that's the truth! I am trying, really trying, not to wheel out the N word ?

6 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Most Tories AND most Labour want to remain. Sorry but that's the truth! I am trying, really trying, not to wheel out the N word ?

This is not what the Tories or Labour want, it's about what the electorate voted for. You cannot dismiss the referendum just because you don't agree with it.