Gunfire turns U.S. lawmakers' baseball practice into 'killing field'

webfact

Their Own Targeted, Republicans Want Looser Gun Laws, Not Stricter Ones

WASHINGTON — Shaken and angry, Republican members of Congress seized on the brazen daytime shooting of their colleagues on Wednesday to demand that existing restrictions on gun access be loosened so that people facing similar attacks are able to defend themselves.

Past shootings have brought calls for more gun control, especially for restrictions on the kind of rifle used in Wednesday’s attack. But the ardent supporters of gun rights who came under fire this time were not about to change their views.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/14/us/politics/targeted-republicans-gun-laws-alexandria-virginia-baseball-shooting.html

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

In before a liberal blames Trump!

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

It didn't take long for them to chime in though. However, I was expecting the Trump haters to be blaming him, so I'm not surprised. Trump owns them- obviously spend all day obsessing about him.

They should keep it up, though. That will guarantee a GOP win in 2018 and 2020.

2 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Their Own Targeted, Republicans Want Looser Gun Laws, Not Stricter Ones

WASHINGTON — Shaken and angry, Republican members of Congress seized on the brazen daytime shooting of their colleagues on Wednesday to demand that existing restrictions on gun access be loosened so that people facing similar attacks are able to defend themselves.

Past shootings have brought calls for more gun control, especially for restrictions on the kind of rifle used in Wednesday’s attack. But the ardent supporters of gun rights who came under fire this time were not about to change their views.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/14/us/politics/targeted-republicans-gun-laws-alexandria-virginia-baseball-shooting.html

Yet another great example of the dysfunction, using fresh blood for political jockeying.  Both sides are in on it.  Sad state of affairs indeed.

7 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

I am opposed to the level of rancor and discord on display which, sad to say, eventually, and inevitably, will lead to events like this.   I also put the blame for this new "low bar" in American politics at the feet of both Candidate and President Trump. 

And to HRC, if anything, I would expect her to take sensible leadership role and not engage in hysterics; and I think she could have a calming effect, if she's so inclined.   End of the day, Trump can be taken down (if he doesn't do it to himself first) without the ever-escalating drama.  You can chew somebody out and fire them without ever raising your voice. 

Thanks for the reasoned response. I certainly agree with your last line. But I have a bit of trouble with, "I also put the blame for this new "low bar" in American politics at the feet of both Candidate and President Trump." Not that either are without blame, far from it, but I see the timeline of this "low bar" going back further. I see the start of it at the beginning of 44's term and the birtherism movement, progressing to the ACA debate and repeated futile attempts to scuttle it, and then blossoming in the resolute obstructionism of the GOP, fertilize this with Benghazi, email server, and theft of SCOTUS nomination... add in the bizarre GOP and DNC nomination races and finally the presidential race itself and the "low bar" is set in place.

22 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Comes down to motivation.  Suppose he could be a domestic terrorist if his aim was to, somehow, change or do away with US civil rights laws.  Appears he was a racist, aligned with white supremacy, and is very unapologetic about not liking black folks.

Back to my point though, no doubt the internet played a part in his radicalization.  At some point, words and ideas are turned into action by those vulnerable to repetitive messaging and suggestion. 

I'm not opposed to The Resistance.  I am not a Trump defender or even a "liker". 

I am opposed to the level of rancor and discord on display which, sad to say, eventually, and inevitably, will lead to events like this.   I also put the blame for this new "low bar" in American politics at the feet of both Candidate and President Trump. 

And to HRC, if anything, I would expect her to take sensible leadership role and not engage in hysterics; and I think she could have a calming effect, if she's so inclined.   End of the day, Trump can be taken down (if he doesn't do it to himself first) without the ever-escalating drama.  You can chew somebody out and fire them without ever raising your voice. 

Appears he was a racist, aligned with white supremacy, and is very unapologetic about not liking black folks.

He is also a Bernie supporter, and volunteered to support him. I guess that makes him a Democrat.

2 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Yet another great example of the dysfunction, using fresh blood for political jockeying.  Both sides are in on it.  Sad state of affairs indeed.

I've always been a strong proponent for term limits in Congress.  But, I never considered this approach.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Appears he was a racist, aligned with white supremacy, and is very unapologetic about not liking black folks.

He is also a Bernie supporter, and volunteered to support him. I guess that makes him a Democrat.

I think you'll find you are conflating two different subjects. 55J was referring to Dylann Roof.

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Really? Sanders is not a Democrat.

2 hours ago, mikebike said:

Thanks for the reasoned response. I certainly agree with your last line. But I have a bit of trouble with, "I also put the blame for this new "low bar" in American politics at the feet of both Candidate and President Trump." Not that either are without blame, far from it, but I see the timeline of this "low bar" going back further. I see the start of it at the beginning of 44's term and the birtherism movement, progressing to the ACA debate and repeated futile attempts to scuttle it, and then blossoming in the resolute obstructionism of the GOP, fertilize this with Benghazi, email server, and theft of SCOTUS nomination... add in the bizarre GOP and DNC nomination races and finally the presidential race itself and the "low bar" is set in place.

No argument from me on your retroactive time line.  We've fallen a long way, no doubt, and the current drama playing out is an extension of that.

The thing with The Resistance is they are messaging very hard and that's a dog whistle to extremists and/or unbalanced folks who would commit acts like this.    The people running The Resistance are professional operators who manipulate the media, events, and shape public opinion and attitudes.  They know they are playing with fire and they think the end justifies the means.

So they are the ones who need to "own it" and moreover, as an organization, condemn the attack and tone it as they go about achieving their political goal of unseating the POTUS.

Edited by 55Jay

2 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Comes down to motivation.  Suppose he could be a domestic terrorist if his aim was to, somehow, change or do away with US civil rights laws.  Appears he was a racist, aligned with white supremacy, and is very unapologetic about not liking black folks.

Back to my point though, no doubt the internet played a part in his radicalization.  At some point, words and ideas are turned into action by those vulnerable to repetitive messaging and suggestion. 

I'm not opposed to The Resistance.  I am not a Trump defender or even a "liker". 

This was a political assassination attempt. A Democrat rabid from the recent vitriolic BS spewed out from Peloci and Schumer tried to kill democratically elected opposition party members. 

If a similar event had occurred but Republicans shooting Democratic leadership, the cries for Trump to resign would be thundering. 

schumer and Peloci should resign. They have created a McCarthey like environment of uncivilized debate and false innuendo. 

Shame in them 

9 minutes ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

This was a political assassination attempt. A Democrat rabid from the recent vitriolic BS spewed out from Peloci and Schumer tried to kill democratically elected opposition party members. 

If a similar event had occurred but Republicans shooting Democratic leadership, the cries for Trump to resign would be thundering. 

schumer and Peloci should resign. They have created a McCarthey like environment of uncivilized debate and false innuendo. 

Shame in them 

I don't know if I would go that far - I don't know. 

But it's a reasonable assertion this guy made the transition from political disagreement, to using violence to affect political change.

51 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

No argument from me on your retroactive time line.  We've fallen a long way, no doubt, and the current drama playing out is an extension of that.

The thing with The Resistance is they are messaging very hard and that's a dog whistle to extremists and/or unbalanced folks who would commit acts like this.    The people running The Resistance are professional operators who manipulate the media, events, and shape public opinion and attitudes.  They know they are playing with fire and they think the end justifies the means.

So they are the ones who need to "own it" and moreover, as an organization, condemn the attack and tone it as they go about achieving their political goal of unseating the POTUS.

Who are these people who are running The Resistance? 

6 hours ago, simple1 said:

Is this the second or third personal attack in this topic by you? Classic right of centre attempted censorship method.

Attempted censorship? Wow. Somebody dared question your line of reasoning and you consider that censorship? Amazing.

Killing field my @r5e he didn't even apply his marksmanship principles....bit of a waste of time really, fortunately for them

Well I find the explanation that if they weren't lucky enough to have special security for that one congressman that was shot that it would have been a massacre. Don't agree with Ryan on much otherwise. So in some way the story is a lot about what almost happened.

The left "resistance" has been advocating violence and assassination for months.  There will soon be a point of no return.  And I know which side I will put my money on.  Just like all those masked cowardly antifas who crumbled, screamed, and ran when somebody finally decided to punch back, these left wing promoters of assassination are going to learn that the other side outguns them and has the training and organization.  Not to mention that it is in the "urban" areas that the promoters of assassination live.  It will be real easy to choke off their city strongholds from food, water, medicine and everything else that is transported into them by truck. They'll be eating each other in a week.

Posted from your fortified log cabin I trust?

1 hour ago, Crowes said:

A violent assassination attempt by an anti-Trump liberal and this is already out of the headlines. Tells you all you need to know about where the media stands.

On the same day, a worker at UPS shot three of his colleagues and then himself.   It barely made the news.   In this situation, only the killer died.   Shootings are pretty much a daily occurrence, is there some reason you think this one is more significant than others?

As shootings go, the body count is pretty low and that's what gets them in the news.   

Edited by Credo

8 hours ago, Rigby40 said:

Attempted censorship? Wow. Somebody dared question your line of reasoning and you consider that censorship? Amazing.

Last time. Personal attacks do not represent a line of questioning and 'Yes' a well known tactic to attempt suppression of others opinion with which you disagree.

Edited by simple1

5 hours ago, Crowes said:

A violent assassination attempt by an anti-Trump liberal and this is already out of the headlines. Tells you all you need to know about where the media stands.

From the home pages of the ringleaders of the Terroristic MSM:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/15/us/politics/before-the-shooting-assailant-began-day-at-ymca-as-usual.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/after-lawmaker-shooting-probe-seeks-clues-amid-trail-of-political-anger-left-by-attacker/2017/06/15/041ed736-51a9-11e7-b064-828ba60fbb98_story.html

4 hours ago, Credo said:

On the same day, a worker at UPS shot three of his colleagues and then himself.   It barely made the news.   In this situation, only the killer died.   Shootings are pretty much a daily occurrence, is there some reason you think this one is more significant than others?

As shootings go, the body count is pretty low and that's what gets them in the news.   

Obviously the notoriety/infamy of the victims played it's part in the profile of this story. Some people will see this as poetic justice in regards to these guys advocacy for the 2nd Amendmentists. Personally I think the left should put more of their energy towards getting its own house in order. Clinton and her corporate benefactors should be nudged out. Trump will take himself out before long. Dollars to donuts it will be because of financial dealings since this guy is all about the money.

20 hours ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

You have links to news sources which indicate that Senator Schumer and/or Congresswoman Pelosi advocated violence against anyone?

I sincerely doubt it...