best way to invest 3M baht.... sitting idle in bank

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

PJack just stick 1 million on Bitcoin and you should be good 

I wouldn't even know where to buy them. Aren't they highly volatile too? 

I put my savings in a variety of funds but you are looking at long term investment not short term returns.

On 21/06/2017 at 6:02 PM, JayBird said:

I never cared for the website for KT-Zimco.  Can't even see which exchanges they deal with (or is it Thailand only?).

Also, their commissions seem to be high (0.20% or so?).   So, a 1M THB purchase would be 2000 THB in commissions (or roughly 60$ USD).  About 10x the price of most other online brokers.

And of course there's a 7% tax.

Unless I'm missing something?  I would still recommend a non-Thai based (international) brokerage firm.

Hi Jaybird Which International broker would you recommend?

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 6:26 AM, roderick17 said:

Hi Jaybird Which International broker would you recommend?

Interactive Brokers is one of the big ones out there that cater to people from a variety of countries, including here.  It's known to work here.  You can deal through their UK or HK office (not sure which one, but ask and they will tell you).  It offers most of the services one would need.  (Misses out on some IB level instruments, but I don't think that's something most here are concerned about).

Also you might be able to deal with TD Investing (out of Luxemburg) and I heard Charles Schwab takes non-US customers (although I have not checked this lately and I could be wrong).

As much as I would have liked a local Thai based broker, none of the web sites I could find gave me any hope they would be adequate.  Which means either they are rather basic and over-priced, or do not cater to English speakers (since all my googling was in English)

Step up from that would be opening a brokerage in Singapore or Hong Kong.  You may need to have a higher opening balance (I'm not sure of the minimum, but I suspect 100k -250k USD is enough).  However, their fees are not cheap.  Really targeting people who like to pay fees or do buy & hold for LONG time (and like to pay fees).  Not a big fan.

OCBC seemed to be the best of the lot, and its a viable option if you need bank/country diversification for long term portfolio (put the stocks you plan to keep for 10+ years in there).

If someone knows better for a Thai based brokerage please let me know :)