Tokyo business man just ten minutes into first trip to Pattaya - now 50,000 baht lighter

webfact

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

And I'll bet you do not wander round showing off in designer clothes, flashing expensive cameras, wrist watches, and gold chains.  I have been hanging around in SE Asia for over 20 years living here for the last some years.  There is such a thing as "being street wise."   And then there are idiots.   And then there is just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.  The last can happen nearly anywhere in most countries, and yes Japan and a few other places are relative exceptions.  I have been in Russia and Cambodia and had some "interesting" experiences at times including here.  I have certainly been in bad places, and apparently been lucky, or there in good times, or more probably NOT looking like either a flashy rich person or an easy drunk mark.  

Pattaya is a tourist town and in every country of the world this attracts crims who like to prey on dumb flashy tourists or anyone else (preferably drunk) who looks worth rolling.  Know that and behave accordingly.  The people who "hate Pattaya"  from a distance are helping reduce the traffic and dumb tourist count.  I live several hours drive from Pattaya but go there on business occasionally.  I do like to wander round the "interesting areas" but there are proviso's. I do not wear gold or flash clothes - anywhere really, (that is just not me.)  I do not walk along Pattaya or Jomtien beach or stroll Beach Road on my own at 4am with or without 50,000 in my pocket.  I do not wear gold or anything that looks flashy or expensive.  I try not to count the money in my wallet while walking down the street.  I don't even carry a wallet at night in "entertainment areas," and use different (buttoned down) pockets for different size bills so I can control how much money I show.  I sometimes go into a toilet just to re-arrange money.   When I am in higher risk areas I turn round occasionally & see who is behind me and then check a few minutes later to see if it is still the same person/people.  I stay away from ladyboys a foot taller and 30 years younger (and stronger) than me,  especially, immediately well away if they are in 2's or more's; and tell me I am handsome.  (Grow a brain and look in the mirror.)  I do not wander off by myself in strange areas or sit with a shoulder bag hanging out of a song-theou.

By the standards of most people who get robbed I guess I am lucky.  Well, being lucky probably helps but trying to be street smart and understanding opportunistic street crime certainly helps and is probably better that trusting luck. 

It sounds like you really know how to have a relaxing evening when you are out! Have you had any formal training in underground surveillance and avoidance techniques, or is this advice all your own work?

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I must say though that this behaviour is probably limited to big cities, in the village that i live in not only do people not lock their doors when they go out they leave them wide open.

Used to be like that in the UK when I was a kid, when everybody spoke the same language, and wore the same type of clothes! Unfortunately, things change, and not always for the better. :sad:

17 hours ago, tomwct said:

Another fool wearing his gold in a Third World Nation!

Bollacks.....you'll be telling everyone not to wear a watch next. Instead of "defending" the thieves (which is what you're doing) how about stringing the toerags up by their balls when caught

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

Bollacks.....you'll be telling everyone not to wear a watch next. Instead of "defending" the thieves (which is what you're doing) how about stringing the toerags up by their balls when caught

Wear a cheap watch.  Fools everywhere in this world!

The content of the cited press article cite a citizen from the land of "raw fish"???!!

If obviously it could be questionnable regarding the display of valuables in the safe havens of Pattaya, the dynamics of the local observers seem to be -  "you have money, so serves you right"!!!....miserable....

6 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

The content of the cited press article cite a citizen from the land of "raw fish"???!!

If obviously it could be questionnable regarding the display of valuables in the safe havens of Pattaya, the dynamics of the local observers seem to be -  "you have money, so serves you right"!!!....miserable....

Not wishing to devalue the guy's loss, but, yes, going to any country in the world advertising easy money on offer is going to attract attention from certain quarters.  

Most days he'll be lucky, but turn a corner on the wrong day and the flash and lure of expensive jewellery is going to get certain locals frothing at the mouth and they're well versed in relieving you of your bling.

Certainly not the fault of the tourist in question but he won't be doing that again.  

On the upside, he didn't get hurt and could have easily ended up being repatriated to Japan with all sorts of injuries had it not been a clean swipe.  Worth more than gold? 

50 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

Not wishing to devalue the guy's loss, but, yes, going to any country in the world advertising easy money on offer is going to attract attention from certain quarters.  

Most days he'll be lucky, but turn a corner on the wrong day and the flash and lure of expensive jewellery is going to get certain locals frothing at the mouth and they're well versed in relieving you of your bling.

Certainly not the fault of the tourist in question but he won't be doing that again.  

On the upside, he didn't get hurt and could have easily ended up being repatriated to Japan with all sorts of injuries had it not been a clean swipe.  Worth more than gold? 

Obviously common sense is the rule of the thumb!....But allow me to contradict my humble self and evoke if it a reason to get ripped off and sort of scorned as a "raw fish national"??

21 hours ago, Jessi said:

You are living in a dream and yes you do make very poor post.

Take the post for the way it was written, having a shot at the governing bodies through sarcastic wit.  Life is too short to be so serious.  :wai:

Sure as H wouldn't wear a gold watch! Would you?

Leaving a lone tourist couple on the dark side of Sukhumvit at night doesn't sound like a good idea for a tour bus to me.

This is actually a fairly well lit area but I would not feel good being left out there.

Nor does the message about wearing gold chains seem to be getting out!

15 hours ago, sambum said:

It sounds like you really know how to have a relaxing evening when you are out! Have you had any formal training in underground surveillance and avoidance techniques, or is this advice all your own work?

Mostly common sense & self taught but I read a lot.

18 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I must say though that this behaviour is probably limited to big cities, in the village that i live in not only do people not lock their doors when they go out they leave them wide open.

We live in the country-side.  There are numerous family in the area but no-one here leaves anything unlocked, EVER.  And usually not everyone goes away from the house at the same time. Usually someone in one of the immediate homes stays around.  Between us we have numerous dogs but burglaries happen & dogs get poisoned as gangs of baddies circle through the countryside looking for easy pickings.  Ya Ba addiction is very common and you can't eat AND buy pills on 300B  a day.   I envy people who can go out and leave everything unlocked but if you live near a main highway or have Ya Ba addiction in your community (both apply to us) then you better take care of your stuff.  Lock it or lose it!

7 hours ago, jerojero said:

Sure as H wouldn't wear a gold watch! Would you?

another one lol what is it with some people  ?? are you programmed to accept theft is acceptable in poorer countries ??

23 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Sorry are you living where?  a 50,000 gold anything hanging on your neck.  Do you know what the wages are here,  the number of kids running around without anything to do, the lack of jobs for them. By the way, don't even look at the unemployment rate here it is doesn't even give a proper account everything is smoke and mirror.  Go put on a gold chain and walk around and lets see how long it last. 

When I first got here, 16 years ago on the Darkside, Soi 13, off Siam Country Club road, I and the wife was returning home one night on the motorbike, she happen to be doing the driving, she had on only a 3-4,000 necklace, I happen to spot in the mirror a bike trailing behind us, thought nothing but when we turn it also did,  as we went further into the dark Soi, I could hear the bike motor rev up a bit,  as to pass us, as it came up it got closer, as I turn I saw the passenger hand reach out I kicked out my right leg to push the bike off path at the same time grab the passenger arm, which pull them both down they were both hurt, bike on top of the driver and the passenger ringing with pain. 

You actually think people who need money and turn to crime here , is waiting around for the whale to show up to rob, they could be waiting until next year!  It is not like they have a telescope with a gold weight scale casing out victims?  Your remark requires a response a long one, because you are out of touch.

Na mate you are its not 1980 I have seen heaps of hookers and thai blokes running around with 2 baht gold chains and more. Been wearing gold around my whole life in countries more dangerous Thailand never had an issue but thanks for your good wishes. The rest of your epic mumblings arent worth commenting on. So no 50000 baht isnt a lot of money ..might be to you though. The call it a crime of opportunity because muppets with no common sense or situational awareness put themselves in a position where they become easy targets. Like the many that seem to wander beach road early morning drunk with tons of cash and big gold. Im not that guy.

Edited by starky

21 minutes ago, starky said:

Na mate you are its not 1980 I have seen heaps of hookers and thai blokes running around with 2 baht gold chains and more. Been wearing gold around my whole life in countries more dangerous Thailand never had an issue but thanks for your good wishes. The rest of your epic mumblings arent worth commenting on. So no 50000 baht isnt a lot of money ..might be to you though. The call it a crime of opportunity because muppets with no common sense or situational awareness put themselves in a position where they become easy targets. Like the many that seem to wander beach road early morning drunk with tons of cash and big gold. Im not that guy.

Bye then because no one seem to agree with your epic nonsense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, starky said:

Na mate you are its not 1980 I have seen heaps of hookers and thai blokes running around with 2 baht gold chains and more.

The call it a crime of opportunity because muppets with no common sense or situational awareness put themselves in a position where they become easy targets.

Those Thai blokes with the hookers are their pimps.

"Situational awareness" - I've learnt a lot about this from watching this Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsE_m2z1NrvF2ImeNWh84mw

3 hours ago, sambum said:

Sounds like you get more fun out of your reading than when you go out! "Just saying!"

When I go out I practice up on my braille.  That can be fun.   I have a list of do's & dont's hints for that too but it would probably be considered as culturally in-correct.  (Well some people's idea of culturally or politically correct, anyway.  Perhaps yours.)  555

On 16/06/2017 at 7:17 AM, franklnooner said:

Welcome to chonburi the most dangerous province in all of thailand.

I thought Nakhon Si Thammarat was the murder capital of Thailand.

Which would make it the most dangerous province, No?

• 7 months later...

Been to Europe three times. No problems in Finland/Sweden. Second trip blackmailed for hundreds of dollars in Paris by a rental car agency; carry-on luggage stolen at Paris airport (my passport, ticket included - US Consulate worked miracles and got me on the flight). Third trip some luggage (Camera, train tickets, proof of pre-paid lodging and rental car) stolen by taxi driver dropping us at Barcelona train station. More than 30 trips, each lasting two weeks to six months, to Thailand, Cambodia and Japan and I recall being knowingly overcharged 5 baht at  a 7-11 in Pattaya, and had a tobacco pouch lifted out of my back pocket at a mall in Chiang Mai. The girls were friendly in Finland and they ask the guys to dance, then they dance slow, even  to fast music, so they can get to know you. But it's COLD! I'll take Asia over Europe any day for safety, affordability, and fun.