US man faces charges after toddler kills cousin with his gun

webfact

US man faces charges after toddler kills cousin with his gun

WASHINGTON - US authorities announced Thursday they will bring charges against a man who left a handgun in an apartment, leading to an accident in which a toddler shot and killed her seven-year-old cousin.

The shooting happened June 6 in Nashville, Tennessee.

Anthony Sanders, a 27-year-old convicted felon, was to go before a judge Thursday to be charged with gun possession, which is illegal for people with a criminal record like his. He had done prison time for kidnapping.

The new charge could bring a 10-year jail term if he is convicted.

Sanders was arrested Wednesday. He had spent the night in the Nashville apartment and departed the next morning, leaving the gun behind.

At least five children were there at the time.

A two-year-old boy shot his seven-year-old cousin Harmony Warfield in the head and killed her.

Such tragic accidents are not rare in the United States, a country with more than 300 million guns.

In 2014, a two-year-old child killed her mother in a supermarket in Idaho by grabbing the gun in her purse.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30318213

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-16

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Such tragic accidents are not rare in the United States, a country with more than 300 million guns.

In 2014, a two-year-old child killed her mother in a supermarket in Idaho by grabbing the gun in her purse.

300+ million people, they come up with 2 examples in 3 years and claim it's "not rare"?  (Edit:  Commenting more on the depth of the reporting than the frequency of this kind of tragedy- it happens way too often)

Here's another example where Pandora's box is already open and the gun control laws prohibiting this guy from owning one didn't work.  And should give pause to law abiding citizens who may be asked to give up their own ability to defend themselves against the bad guys who don't seem to care about gun control laws.

BTW, I hope they lock him up for the maximum.

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, impulse said:

300+ million people, they come up with 2 examples in 3 years and claim it's "not rare"?  (Edit:  Commenting more on the depth of the reporting than the frequency of this kind of tragedy- it happens way too often)

Here's another example where Pandora's box is already open and the gun control laws prohibiting this guy from owning one didn't work.  And should give pause to law abiding citizens who may be asked to give up their own ability to defend themselves against the bad guys who don't seem to care about gun control laws.

Google "2 year old with handgun" and get 10 million plus results. If you had the time (I haven't), you might find a reference outside the USA. I admit they cheated, some of the links are to 3y.o.s.

Current gun control laws don't work, and you've already got a huge incarceration rate. Good luck, you're going to need it.

13 hours ago, webfact said:

which is illegal for people with a criminal record like his. He had done prison time for kidnapping.

I'm sure in the US he had no difficulty getting the gun despite his criminal record. 

It was interesting to see members of Congress shedding crocodile tears when another member was shot a few days ago and yet the same emotional Congressmen continue to make it easier than ever for anyone with a pulse to own and carry more weaponry than soldiers in many countries will ever see.

12 hours ago, impulse said:

Exactly. When they take away guns, the criminals end up with the guns against an unarmed population.

He should be locked up and more than 10 years. It was certainly culpable manslaughter.

5 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

I'm sure in the US he had no difficulty getting the gun despite his criminal record. 

It was interesting to see members of Congress shedding crocodile tears when another member was shot a few days ago and yet the same emotional Congressmen continue to make it easier than ever for anyone with a pulse to own and carry more weaponry than soldiers in many countries will ever see.

Hah! I WANT to be armed better than the criminals. I don't want to be killed by a bad man with no means to defend myself.

On 6/16/2017 at 8:46 AM, impulse said:

this is more a reason for tightening up the gun laws and their enforcement and removing firearms from the community

1 minute ago, yardrunner said:

this is more a reason for tightening up the gun laws and their enforcement and removing firearms from the community

Setting aside the fact that the majority of Americans don't want that to happen, it ain't gonna happen even if they did pass a law.

The bad guys will still have guns.  Only the good guys would turn theirs in.  Can you see the gaping flaw in that plan?

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

Setting aside the fact that the majority of Americans don't want that to happen, it ain't gonna happen even if they did pass a law.

The bad guys will still have guns.  Only the good guys would turn theirs in.  Can you see the gaping flaw in that plan?

that is why you have law enforcement rather than frontier law, America is no longer a frontier country and the sooner the citizens realize it the better

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Sooner or later the US public is going to have to bite the bullet (pun intended) and decide which is more important, your constitutional right to bear arms or rhe unintended consequences of a society awash with firearms. Just how many baby homocides, school shootings and ever increasing murder toll are justifiable?

BTW I had to hand in my hunting rifles when Oz tightened its gun laws. The alternative was to allow police access to your house at any time to check safe storage, something I found unacceptable.

24 minutes ago, halloween said:

Sooner or later the US public is going to have to bite the bullet (pun intended) and decide which is more important, your constitutional right to bear arms or rhe unintended consequences of a society awash with firearms.

If you drill down into the gun violence demographics, you'll find that America as a whole isn't that dangerous- just a tiny percentage of it, mostly in inner cities.

The numbers correlate heavily to race, but I suspect the correlation is stronger with poverty- which then correlates to race.  But I digress.

Protecting ourselves against those very people is the reason most Americans want better gun control but do not want any kind of confiscation program.  We are pragmatic enough to realize that cops can't be everywhere, so it's our responsibility to protect our own loved ones.  Balanced against the minuscule chance of a middle class suburban dweller getting shot is a reasonable trade-off.  Because the vast majority of gun violence happens to the disenfranchised (poor) anyway.  Sucks, but it is what it is.

Seeing the terror attacks in Europe isn't working in the favor of the gun removal advocates, either. 

BTW, full disclosure, I own several firearms, including rifles, shotguns, pistols and assault guns.  (I bought the assault guns just before Clinton got elected, whereupon they doubled in value.  Sadly, they have come back down).   I gave up hunting 40 years ago (never liked it anyway), but I love target shooting.  I've never pointed one at a human being and only once pulled one out of the case for home defense when my dog went off on a kid jumping the 6' wood fence into my back yard.  I didn't confront him, and he didn't even know I saw him.  I don't have a concealed handgun permit, and don't carry one on my person.  I do occasionally keep one legally in my vehicle when I'm on a road trip- weapon and ammo in separate locked cases.  I wouldn't own one in Thailand even if I could.

Edited by impulse

On 6/15/2017 at 9:46 PM, impulse said:

Sure it worked, he is going to jail for a long time, Now if they can improve the law and it's enforcement it might save the live of the next child. 

20 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hah! I WANT to be armed better than the criminals. I don't want to be killed by a bad man with no means to defend myself.

Don't worry, you will not get killed by a criminal with a gun, but by a totler with a gun. Are you happy now?