Pattaya police to the rescue as Chinese tourists left high and dry

rooster59

Pattaya police to the rescue as Chinese tourists left high and dry

tnews_1497604422_3069.jpg

Image: T News

Regular Pattaya police and their tourist counterparts have been helping a group of six Chinese tourists who said they have been left stranded by a countryman and a Thai guide.

The six tourists were part of a group tour of 19 people visiting Thailand from the 13th to the 18th of June. But when they got to Pattaya on Thursday the boss of their tour moved the goalposts and demanded more money for a change in the program they had paid for in China.

They were unwilling to accept this and the cops went to the D and C Hotel in Jomtien to negotiate a deal that ultimately meant they could stay at the hotel. It was 3am before they eventually checked into their rooms.

But next morning the cops were back when the tour group left without them.

Pattaya police said they were helping the group to maintain the good name of the resort and would try to catch up with the leaders of the tour to see if any laws were broken.

Source: T News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-17

5 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

oh I so hate bait and switch operations.  Some of the worst types of scams because not only do you lose money and time, but you could be half way in to something pretty deep and very hard to get out or could be stuck some where.

It happens quite often among tour groups in China, especially among the low priced ones. 

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

Why would you even think about travelling with a tour group. Everybody have different interests in life, and therefore they are something that lived when the dinosaurs were young.

Language problem is the only reason. 

On 17.6.2017 at 5:36 AM, Get Real said:

Why would you even think about travelling with a tour group. Everybody have different interests in life, and therefore they are something that lived when the dinosaurs were young.

some people have the intetest to be within a group of likemindet ( progrsmm is set in advance ) for security and for peace of mind...not by themselves...that the operator suddenly demands extra money is the lowest form of exploitation...i travel individual but understand when people dont

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 5:36 AM, Get Real said:

Euhhhhh..... We are talking about Asians, right?

Besides, isn't it a little bit racist to compare them Chinamen to dinosaurs?

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:09 AM, just.a.thought said:

Police tried to help negotiate a deal??? would it not have been more appropriate to arrest the Chinese and Thai tour guides in order to protect the good name of the resort?

.....a deal that would have benefitted 3 parties.....

6 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Euhhhhh..... We are talking about Asians, right?

Besides, isn't it a little bit racist to compare them Chinamen to dinosaurs?

Never done that! I compared tour group travel to the time of the dinosaurs.
You on the other hand are pointing on asians. What are wrong with them, according to you?
Talk about digging your own grave, and the shovel worked quick.

6 hours ago, free123 said:

some people have the intetest to be within a group of likemindet ( progrsmm is set in advance ) for security and for peace of mind...not by themselves...that the operator suddenly demands extra money is the lowest form of exploitation...i travel individual but understand when people dont

If you believe that is the lowest form in ant kind then you are very unaware of what happens in the world. Not saying that it´s right, but there are much more thing in that area that are worse. Who would have thought that getting your travel or vacation trip ruined was the lowest form???

Anyway, I am glad that you have a great understanding.

21 minutes ago, Get Real said:

You on the other hand are pointing on asians. What are wrong with them, according to you?

I guess that my style of humour is not everybody's piece of cake.

On 6/16/2017 at 11:36 PM, Get Real said:

the same reason people blindly hand over their paychecks and investments to complete strangers to handle.  They are unwilling to take the time and do some research.  Organized tours have some appeal for , some people, that just want to follow.  But I have never seen a reasonably priced tour yet.  And going to Pattaya on an organized tour?  Even a casual review of the internet will show you a fair amount of things to do and visit.  Maybe they are completely scared of the language differences, worried about visas, etc.  But I am sure there are plenty of Thai-Chinese tourist guide books out there.  But this does bring up a possible need for improvement.  There should be translators or guides for hire in Thailand that speak the home languages of tourists.  Make it easier and more available for such things?

On 6/18/2017 at 10:15 PM, Get Real said:

There is nothing wrong with group travel. It reduces the overal costs of travel. Large discounts in hotels, restaurants etc.... and the usual kickbacks from shops and the like for the tour operators. Only problem is when the itenary changes they are stuck with the extra cost and as individual you can not opt out, which I think is what happened here.

I am not so sure that group travel is cheaper than individual travel.

Back home they sell last minute "semi group travel" at half price, it includes flights + hotel + transport to and from the airport and some excursions.

I checked many times (for the convenience) but even at half price, I can always do cheaper. 

And they will often drop people at not included restaurants or attractions, "pay the entrance or waste a couple of hours of your time."

The only advantage I can think of, is that if the flight is delayed or even canceled, the tour operator will take care of the passenger also for the hotel booking.

When Ryanair cancelled our flight, they told us that our (separately paid for) hotel booking was not their problem.

Group travel leaves lazy or not very educated people at the wimps of the tour organizer.

4 hours ago, Bastos60 said:

There is nothing wrong with group travel. It reduces the overal costs of travel. Large discounts in hotels, restaurants etc.... and the usual kickbacks from shops and the like for the tour operators. Only problem is when the itenary changes they are stuck with the extra cost and as individual you can not opt out, which I think is what happened here.

And mostly people say it´s more expensive. I guess it all depends on how lucky you are. For most people luck is just that kind of luxury they don´t want to include when travel.

18 minutes ago, Get Real said:

And mostly people say it´s more expensive. I guess it all depends on how lucky you are. For most people luck is just that kind of luxury they don´t want to include when travel.

Would you please explain that?

43 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Would you please explain that?

It was like a really bad joke. Basically means that you would be very lucky to find a group travel that will be cheaper, than finding it by yourself. Also after seeing what happens many times, I would consider that a kind of luck you don´t want to play with.

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:15 PM, Get Real said:

I will NOT tell you what I think is wrong with Asian tourists.

But I will tell you a true story.

Every year, my wife (Thai) and I make a tour of Europe.

We never go to touristy places, except once we went to Zermatt, to see - you guessed it - the Matterhorn.

Zillions of Asian tourists there.

Behaving euhhh let's say "very Asian" - much to my wife's dislike (I think I already mentioned she is Thai).

Shortly after, back home we bought a broom at a supermarket.

As we walked out of the supermarket, my wife - she is Thai and therefore Asian, I may have mentioned this earlier in this story - held up the broom and with a big smile said: Follow Me!

Yes, my wife is different.

And she understands farang humour, hell, she's getting the hang of it.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

I will NOT tell you what I think is wrong with Asian tourists.

But I will tell you a true story.

Every year, my wife (Thai) and I make a tour of Europe.

We never go to touristy places, except once we went to Zermatt, to see - you guessed it - the Matterhorn.

Zillions of Asian tourists there.

Behaving euhhh let's say "very Asian" - much to my wife's dislike (I think I already mentioned she is Thai).

Shortly after, back home we bought a broom at a supermarket.

As we walked out of the supermarket, my wife - she is Thai and therefore Asian, I may have mentioned this earlier in this story - held up the broom and with a big smile said: Follow Me!

Yes, my wife is different.

And she understands farang humour, hell, she's getting the hang of it.

Hell, that´s right! You´re just one of the lucky, I guess. Welcome to the club of the selected few, as it appears. :smile:

11 hours ago, Get Real said:

Nothing to do with luck. 
Do a little research on the tour operator and check out their itenary beforehand if it is worthwhile or if it is just overpriced. You can not imagine how many
people are far too lazy to do some research beforehand of any trip. For these people even the more expensive tours are worth their cost just so they do not have to put in 
any effort.