Thailand to launch new 10 year multiple entry visa for over 50s

rooster59

On 6/19/2017 at 10:17 PM, dontoearth said:

Some multiple entry Retirement visas still require the re-entry stamp.   I have no idea why this is true.  Call immigration if you would like to make your head spin.

Wrong. A valid multi-entry visa never requires a re-entry permit.

choice: stick with the annual visa renewal.... 

or CHANGE my long standing health insurance coverage.....  which has always been a simple one.... beaucoup coverage of inpatient and cancer..... ONLY....

into a different insurance risk pool that includes outpatient coverage.... 

so that if I have a sore throat and need lozengers... I have 40,000 THB of outpatient coverage.

or stick with the beaucoup inpatient plan I have now and visit the Promenada once a year. 

see ya at the Promenada!

Edited by maewang99
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 1SteveC said:

I am super glad to hear that.   Would you come out and explain this to the Immigration at Cheng Wattna that revoked my first year retirement visa O-A with multiple entry status from the Chicago Consulate because it didn't have the reentry stamps?  This would save me time and money and legal fees for me.    My visit was may 16 this year so it is the current thinking of the immigration that some multiple entry visas still need the reentry stamp.  I have no idea why.  You take it up with them.  And agreed it might not happen to the next person.  The immigration  policies do seem to vary with what clerk is assigned to you.It is great to have people explain things on Thai Visa Forum that are untrue so the unwary and unsuspecting can really get screwed.

5 hours ago, dontoearth said:

I am super glad to hear that.   Would you come out and explain this to the Immigration at Cheng Wattna that revoked my first year retirement visa O-A with multiple entry status from the Chicago Consulate because it didn't have the reentry stamps?  This would save me time and money and legal fees for me.    My visit was may 16 this year so it is the current thinking of the immigration that some multiple entry visas still need the reentry stamp.  I have no idea why.  You take it up with them.  And agreed it might not happen to the next person.  The immigration  policies do seem to vary with what clerk is assigned to you.It is great to have people explain things on Thai Visa Forum that are untrue so the unwary and unsuspecting can really get screwed.

Because the validity of your visas validity had expired, and you were on a permission to stay, that permission requires a re-entry permit as your visas validity has EXPIRED !

Just because you are clueless and give incorrect info - don't assume everyone else is the same.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1SteveC said:

Because the validity of your visas validity had expired, and you were on a permission to stay, that permission requires a re-entry permit as your visas validity has EXPIRED !

Just because you are clueless and give incorrect info - don't assume everyone else is the same.

Visa had not expired.  I was at Immigration May 16 and the visa was good until june 4.     According to immigration which should be the last word  in the matter, they want re-entry stamps for 1 year O-A retirement visas the first year they are granted by a consulate abroad.    They refused to renew my retirement visa.  You might check around this is happening to quite a few people I have talked too  in fact 4 people I have talked so far have hit this odd requirement.    3 headed home to the UK and one was headed to the US.  We were also under the impression we did not need the re-entry stamp with a visa clearly marked multiple entry.   So you can advise people all you want but you can't change what is going on and you are wrong.

If you stick around long enough Immigration will throw you a loop also.  Do post along with the 633K of others on TV forum that have had immigration problems.

Me I am leaving!  Mexico requires no re-entry stamps and no 90 day reporting and the food is better and the cost of living is cheaper!  And the 6 month tourist stamp is good for 6 months even if you leave and return several times and costs only $20 and is given at the airport.   Weather is better too.  Adios.   Spent 30 years here off/on and have had enough.

Good Luck 2 u.

2 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

According to immigration which should be the last word  in the matter, they want re-entry stamps for 1 year O-A retirement visas the first year they are granted by a consulate abroad.    They refused to renew my retirement visa.  

Nobody has ever bought a re-entry permit for the 1st year of an O-A ! (second year, yes)

"They refused to renew my retirement visa.  " - That statement alone tells me you do not really have a clue what you are on about.

26 minutes ago, 1SteveC said:

Nobody has ever bought a re-entry permit for the 1st year of an O-A ! (second year, yes)

"They refused to renew my retirement visa.  " - That statement alone tells me you do not really have a clue what you are on about.

I figure you should consult with or even apply to run Thai Immigration.  You really seem to know more than they do!  And you have better handle on the rules I guess.  Good Luck 2 u.  I spent a full day with them at Cheng Wattna.  NADA.  I have had retirement visas and 90 day visas and have been visiting here or living here since 1989.   I never saw all of this bullshit and odd rule interpretations before this year.  A business man at my hotel told me the same for the last 20 years he has had work permit.  This year NADA.  He had to go to Perth and reapply at the consulate. 

One other thought is that most rules at Immigration are enforced by the clerk you get.  My thai friends all urged me to just go back on a different day and avoid that lady.  That indeed might be the solution.  I picked a different one.

Deep conspiracy is that the thai are doing this on purpose to get rid of as many of the retirees as possible.  I think there might be some merit to that.  The new proposed visa shows a strong desire by the govt. to get richer retirees..or at least fleece them out of more money while they are here.

Again good luck 2 U.  I hope you have no visa problems.

6 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

I figure you should consult with or even apply to run Thai Immigration.  You really seem to know more than they do!  And you have better handle on the rules I guess.  Good Luck 2 u.  I spent a full day with them at Cheng Wattna.  NADA.  I have had retirement visas and 90 day visas and have been visiting here or living here since 1989.   I never saw all of this bullshit and odd rule interpretations before this year.  A business man at my hotel told me the same for the last 20 years he has had work permit.  This year NADA.  He had to go to Perth and reapply at the consulate. 

One other thought is that most rules at Immigration are enforced by the clerk you get.  My thai friends all urged me to just go back on a different day and avoid that lady.  That indeed might be the solution.  I picked a different one.

Deep conspiracy is that the thai are doing this on purpose to get rid of as many of the retirees as possible.  I think there might be some merit to that.  The new proposed visa shows a strong desire by the govt. to get richer retirees..or at least fleece them out of more money while they are here.

Again good luck 2 U.  I hope you have no visa problems.

Ever considered your attitude may have contributed to your issues?

1 hour ago, dontoearth said:

Visa had not expired.  I was at Immigration May 16 and the visa was good until june 4.     According to immigration which should be the last word  in the matter, they want re-entry stamps for 1 year O-A retirement visas the first year they are granted by a consulate abroad.    They refused to renew my retirement visa.  

A few questions:

- When was your Visa "initially" issued (first stamped into your passport, not when you first entered Thailand)?

- On your current Retirement OA  Visa have you ever got an Extension of Stay at CW?

4 hours ago, Pib said:

A few questions:

- When was your Visa "initially" issued (first stamped into your passport, not when you first entered Thailand)?

- On your current Retirement OA  Visa have you ever got an Extension of Stay at CW?

Issues 21st of April 2016.  I never got an extension of stay.  I arrived June 3.  You have 3 months to start your retirement visa after it is issued in the states.

Issues 21st of April 2016.  I never got an extension of stay.  I arrived June 3.  You have 3 months to start your retirement visa after it is issued in the states.

Since issued on 21 Apr 16, it was good for multiple entries (unlimited...no reentry permit required) through "20 Apr 17."   Since you arrived 3 Jun 16, they should have stamped your passport with a Permitted to Stay entry of appox 2 Jun 17 and you could have applied for a Retirement extension of stay 30 to 45 day before that 2 Jun 17.

Now, any exit/rentry after, repeat, after 20 Apr 17 (if you possibly did so after your initial entry) would have required an exit/reentry stamp to preserve  your 2 Jun 17 Permitted to Stay date.   Otherwise your Visa/permitted to stay date is invalidated.   Immigration would have just given you the standard issue 30 day permitted to stay entry at the airport upon arrival which means you could no longer apply for a Retirement Extension of Stay based on that 30 permitted to stay date.

So, if you went to CW immigration to apply for an extension of stay on 16 May "and" if you had done an exit/reentry after 20 Apr 17 (don't know if you did or not) when the "multiple entries" date (20 Apr 17) had passed they were really telling you that you can't apply for retirement extension of stay straight-away based on a 30 day permitted to stay entry stamp.

Never seen any reference to person must start their retirement visa within 3 months of issue.   And also just looked at my OA Visa issued in the States  in 2008 and it has no mention of a requirement to entry within 3 months of issue....just says the date of issue and when it must be utilized by which is a year later....not 3 months later.

As mentioned my Retirement Visa was also issued in the States....I never left Thailand after that first year of my initial entry....was approved for a Retirement Extension of Stay at CW no problem when I applied 11 months later.  And it's been reapproved around 7 times since...I've never left Thailand since my initial entry in 2008...maybe someday I will...in the interim I just continue to do the annual renewal of my Retirement Extension of Stay at CW....will be doing it again come late Aug or early Sep.

Edited by Pib

10 year visa valid for 5 years large dumps of cash in their banks and local insurance for heath?

O but Mr Trump our visa is a ten year visa as you said a reciprocal one should be but is valid for 5 years with a top up of 5 years for a small fee and we are a developing country so need as much of the Farangs money in our bank which they will either leave there when they unexpectedly die or the local wife will grab it.

No thanks it simply is not worth all the effort of 90 days reporting and being treated like an object from outer space, there are a lot better places to live like a war zone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Since issued on 21 Apr 16, it was good for multiple entries (unlimited...no reentry permit required) through "20 Apr 17."   Since you arrived 3 Jun 16, they should have stamped your passport with a Permitted to Stay entry of appox 2 Jun 17 and you could have applied for a Retirement extension of stay 30 to 45 day before that 2 Jun 17.

Now, any exit/rentry after, repeat, after 20 Apr 17 (if you possibly did so after your initial entry) would have required an exit/reentry stamp to preserve  your 2 Jun 17 Permitted to Stay date.   Otherwise your Visa/permitted to stay date is invalidated.   Immigration would have just given you the standard issue 30 day permitted to stay entry at the airport upon arrival which means you could no longer apply for a Retirement Extension of Stay based on that 30 permitted to stay date.

So, if you went to CW immigration to apply for an extension of stay on 16 May "and" if you had done an exit/reentry after 20 Apr 17 (don't know if you did or not) when the "multiple entries" date (20 Apr 17) had passed they were really telling you that you can't apply for retirement extension of stay straight-away based on a 30 day permitted to stay entry stamp.

Never seen any reference to person must start their retirement visa within 3 months of issue.   And also just looked at my OA Visa issued in the States  in 2008 and it has no mention of a requirement to entry within 3 months of issue....just says the date of issue and when it must be utilized by which is a year later....not 3 months later.

As mentioned my Retirement Visa was also issued in the States....I never left Thailand after that first year of my initial entry....was approved for a Retirement Extension of Stay at CW no problem when I applied 11 months later.  And it's been reapproved around 7 times since...I've never left Thailand since my initial entry in 2008...maybe someday I will...in the interim I just continue to do the annual renewal of my Retirement Extension of Stay at CW....will be doing it again come late Aug or early Sep.

Thank You. This is the first coherent explanation I have heard about this situation.    It was not what the clerk at CW was trying to explain to me tho.'    And it does make sense.  

Those not wishing to come and go will probably have a much easier time of it.  

I got the instructions that I had 90 days or 3 months to start the O-A retirement visa from the clerk at the Chicago Consulate. 

Thanks again for getting to the bottom of this matter.

Thank You. This is the first coherent explanation I have heard about this situation.    It was not what the clerk at CW was trying to explain to me tho.'    And it does make sense.  

Those not wishing to come and go will probably have a much easier time of it.  

I got the instructions that I had 90 days or 3 months to start the O-A retirement visa from the clerk at the Chicago Consulate. 

Thanks again for getting to the bottom of this matter.

Sounds like you had an O not an O-A, maybe post a photo of the actual visa ?

9 minutes ago, 1SteveC said:

Sounds like you had an O not an O-A, maybe post a photo of the actual visa ?

It is an O-A and Pib has explained the problem.  Pib is completely correct.  

I could not get a coherent explanation from Immigration.  I think more the language barrier than anything else. 

Evidently when a visa is issued abroad the period of time for not needing a re-entry stamp is set to the date of the approval not the date of the actual stay.  So I would have needed a re-entry stamp after the 20-april 17 day even tho. the visa was still good until June 2.

If i can get a decent cell phone pic I will post the visa.  I couldn't get it to come out last time I tried it because it is printed on shiny paper with emblems.

2 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

It is an O-A and Pib has explained the problem.  Pib is completely correct.  

I could not get a coherent explanation from Immigration.  I think more the language barrier than anything else. 

Evidently when a visa is issued abroad the period of time for not needing a re-entry stamp is set to the date of the approval not the date of the actual stay.  So I would have needed a re-entry stamp after the 20-april 17 day even tho. the visa was still good until June 2.

If i can get a decent cell phone pic I will post the visa.  I couldn't get it to come out last time I tried it because it is printed on shiny paper with emblems.

As a suggestion, perhaps if you hold the camera at a very slight angle to the page, to prevent the flash/light reflecting directly back?

On 18/06/2017 at 4:55 PM, ukrules said:

90 day reporting is required on all visas, every single one of them.

If you're a foreigner you must report and show your papers every 90 days.

Yes, set up in a day and age before mobile phones, CCTV cameras and massive interconnectivity.

This rule does not need to exist anymore, it's just a relic from time when foreigners were actually a rarity. 

On 21/06/2017 at 8:49 AM, 1SteveC said:

It can.

The visa is past the expire date, you've got a stamp which lets you stay past this date and you want to leave the country and come back in... you need a re-entry permit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PaulHamon said:

This rule does not need to exist anymore, it's just a relic from time when foreigners were actually a rarity. 

I don't think so...I think the govt simply wants to know where us foreigners are at in Thailand every 90 days....or even more often like when we may go on a few days vacation to another location in Thailand requiring the hotel operator or whoever is housing you to report your location within 24 hrs.  

Thailand could change this 90 day reporting law if they wanted to....but they don't want to.   So, in the interim, a person must report in person, online is possible for some, or my mail which is possible for some.   Us foreigners bear close watching.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PaulHamon said:

It can.

The visa is past the expire date, you've got a stamp which lets you stay past this date and you want to leave the country and come back in... you need a re-entry permit.

Then the visa is no longer valid ! It has passed its "use before" date ! Do not confuse visa validity with a permission to stay.

On 22/06/2017 at 11:09 AM, Thaifly88 said:

Actually, this is all aimed at Lo-So's - as in, get out, Thailand doesn't need or want you.

Thanks thats nice of you to say. please explain what a LoSo is, I will start you off with White Maybe

But everyone is living their life here for 90 days at a time no matter what visa you have, so all you can plan for is 3 months at a time.

Much better than this available else where, that is why so many Farangs businesses are up for sale at the moment.

5 hours ago, 1SteveC said:

Then the visa is no longer valid ! It has passed its "use before" date ! Do not confuse visa validity with a permission to stay.

No the visa use before date is just the last day to enter the country.  You still get one year from the issue.  If you come a few months after the issue the last two or three months on a visa may require a re-entry stamp.   The visa is still valid because it can be used for renewal.  

7 hours ago, dontoearth said:

No the visa use before date is just the last day to enter the country.  You still get one year from the issue.  If you come a few months after the issue the last two or three months on a visa may require a re-entry stamp.   The visa is still valid because it can be used for renewal.  

"The visa is still valid because it can be used for renewal." NO it is not, and NO it can not.

Visas are not "renewed" !

"If you come a few months after the issue the last two or three months on a visa may require a re-entry stamp" - because the visa is no longer valid !!!

Edited by 1SteveC

I like the idea but no way would I park 100k, or even half that, in Thailand for any length of time. I'll just stick to my free 30 day pass. I have a 10 year visa for a China and don't have to do any of this!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

My idea for the 10 year visa is to charge 1,000 baht a year...So a 10 year

visa would cost 10 thousand baht....With no other BS or requirements..

Condo sales would go through the roof,so would new investments in Thailand....

• Like 1

On 6/17/2017 at 7:54 AM, canuckamuck said:

Yeah I got 90k USD that I don't need. I'll just put it in a Thai Account for 10 years instead of making money with it.

I mean it's so worth it not to do lineups as often at immigration.

1 year cost = 3800 multi entry permit + 1900 for extension = 5700  (x 5 = 28500 baht 5 years)
Keep the $88,500 in bank (not tied up in TL bank) earning modestly .75% =  $660/yr = 17245 ($508 after tax)

2-5 years 1.5m baht - $44k @ 0.75% = $330/yr x4 = $1,320 or 34490 baht.  ($1,016 after tax) 17245+34490=51735 baht... potential loss based on interest of .75% APY.

I'm assuming that the money in the thai is not earning any interest.  

Not taking into account the possibility of earning at least 2% dividend (taxed at 15%) in any ETF and assuming no capital gains.   Too lazy to do that math. 

5 year visa = 10000 baht

1 year visa x 5 years = 28500 

28500-10000=18500 savings on visa costs.

18500-51735 = -33235 net loss

Cost -6647/yr  

Pay 5700 per year or lose -6647 per year?

Did I do this right?  555 

If I did... go easy on me  

Edited by Nowisee