4wd versus 2wd

jumbo

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Question: Did you shift to 4x4 before driving on wet roads in the mountains or stay in 2wd until you got stuck and then change to 4x4. 

If the former then you may not know if the 4x4 made any difference?

Don't Ford have a Ranger with 2wd with limited slip diff. or something? 

I shifted before that. But once i was stuck in a sandy place and could not get out easy and I switched to 4x4 and it drove out of the mess like it was a hard road... that was awesome... 

on the ford, could be, I wouldnot know

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, jumbo said:

I shifted before that. But once i was stuck in a sandy place and could not get out easy and I switched to 4x4 and it drove out of the mess like it was a hard road... that was awesome... 

on the ford, could be, I wouldnot know

Yes it is good fun, the front drive "pulls" the weight to help out the rears "push"...:stoner:

7 hours ago, transam said:

But folk with cars avoid mud etc like the plague, deep water too, us 4x4 guys just crack on with a smile.....:stoner:

Where I live when driving around the crap roads I have dealt with pot holes that would rip the sump off a saloon if it wasn't spotted, oh, and my 4x4 has a sump guard too, just in case.....:smile:

sure , no argument there , we do avoid it and we do get along just fine.

By the way, most desert racing trucks are two wheel drive.

when you least expect it 4WD is handy. We visited a few waterfalls two weeks ago and followed the signs and the roads were very poor due to recent rain. If i did not have a 4WD we would be in all sorts of bother, but again it is your choice in where you drive and if 4WD is a necessity. Cars do not devalue that much in Thailand and 4WD verses 2WD are directly proportional. the decision on make model etc. etc. is up to the individual due to your requirements and necessities.  

Question: Did you shift to 4x4 before driving on wet roads in the mountains or stay in 2wd until you got stuck and then change to 4x4. 

If the former then you may not know if the 4x4 made any difference?

Don't Ford have a Ranger with 2wd with limited slip diff. or something? 

Yes, but according to Transam it has no ground clearance because it only has 2WD. Miraculously, my 2WD had a great day offroading last Christmas. The LSD worked a treat.
No point having 4WD if you do all your driving on blacktop unless you like an even poorer turning circle, worse fuel economy and a more sluggish ride.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

I have a fj cruser manual 4by4 here in the states the 6 speed trans.comes in handy pulling a trailer wish I could have it in Thailand .we will be moving over to Los early next year and will be buying a 4by4 SUV but I want a simple one I don't want or need all the extra stuff they foist on you!Im a firm believer in the kiss principal (keep it simple stupid)!regards tug

The truth is people with 4x4 tend to take their vehicles where people with 4x2 will not

No fun getting bogged

I regularly check out tracks that i would not attempt in a 4x2 even with a limited slip diff

Probably only drive in 4x4 about 1% of the time i am driving the vehicle, so if you cannot afford the extra cost or are very likely to not use it buy a 4x2

9 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Yes, but according to Transam it has no ground clearance because it only has 2WD. Miraculously, my 2WD had a great day offroading last Christmas. The LSD worked a treat.
No point having 4WD if you do all your driving on blacktop unless you like an even poorer turning circle, worse fuel economy and a more sluggish ride.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

I said "what" has no ground clearance...?

Toyota 2WD Prerunner is the same height as the Vigo 4 x 4....

Unless you're really going off road get a pick up with limited slip diff.  Will get you out of most situations. Why cart around the weight and complexity of a front diff on your truck if you don't need it? 

3 minutes ago, Bung said:

Unless you're really going off road get a pick up with limited slip diff.  Will get you out of most situations. Why cart around the weight and complexity of a front diff on your truck if you don't need it? 

My 4x4 has an excellent LSD too but I have been stuck in mud in a Temples grounds at a funeral with a monsoon, buried the axle, thankfully engaging the front axle dealt with it. Problem for pickups or SUV's is the road tyres, near useless if in mud..

4x4 is good in sand but not on soils with a high clay content when its wet and slippery

the only time i have been really bogged was in a 4x4, came around a bend in a track to be confronted by a wet clay pan about 30 metres wide

I was travelling a bit to fast to stop and tried  to drive across it but got bogged in the middle with all 4 wheels

We had to walk about 1/2 a mile to a abandoned railway track and bring back 5 sleepers, 4 for the wheels and 1 for the wallaby high lift jack, took us hours to do this and i will never forget it

A 4x4 is about 200k baht more expensive than a 4x2 here and its a waste of money if you are not going to use it and in the new revo 4x4 increases its turning circle that can be a pain in the butt when doing a U turn

If you like going to out of the way places or live in the country its definitely worth the extra money

If you only drive in built up areas on made roads you do not need it

Plenty of makes now have a high ride 4x2 model now which takes care of the flooding problem which happens everywhere in Thailand after heavy monsoon rains 

2 hours ago, madmax2 said:

A 4x4 is about 200k baht more expensive than a 4x2 here and its a waste of money if you are not going to use it and

in the new revo 4x4 increases its turning circle that can be a pain in the butt when doing a U turn

Didn't realizes there was that amount of baht difference,  as said before l only noticed the difference between manual and auto which was 40,000.

Disagree with your second part if doing any tight turns disengage p/t 4x4.

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Didn't realizes there was that amount of baht difference,  as said before l only noticed the difference between manual and auto which was 40,000.

Disagree with your second part if doing any tight turns disengage p/t 4x4.

I do not use 4x4 on made roads, do you, toyota turning circle does not seem as good as fords

You are right the difference in price of a 2.8g manual or auto is only 40k baht in a 4x4 

1 minute ago, madmax2 said:

I do not use 4x4 on made roads, do you, toyota turning circle does not seem as good as fords

You are right the difference in price of a 2.8g manual or auto is only 40k baht in a 4x4 

I do if a good downpour..:smile:

43 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

I do not use 4x4 on made roads, do you,

My take again for so many times on this over and over brought up subject is after my off road accident the Thai police said why didn't you use you 4x4 on the mountain roads,  of course l said it's part-time 4w and they laugh but that said  l used it all the time from then on,  did about 40,000 k before selling it.

Didn't care about any damage it might cause l just felt much safer,  l liked the truck, wish you could get an AWD one, l would never buy a rear wheel drive only truck to use as a car. 

12 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

My take again for so many times on this over and over brought up subject is after my off road accident the Thai police said why didn't you use you 4x4 on the mountain roads,  of course l said it's part-time 4w and they laugh but that said  l used it all the time from then on,  did about 40,000 k before selling it.

Didn't care about any damage it might cause l just felt much safer,  l liked the truck, wish you could get an AWD one, l would never buy a rear wheel drive only truck to use as a car. 

Been driving 4x4 vehicles 2H, 4H, 4L for approx 55 years now and never had a accident in one

Never used 4x4 on bitumen or concrete roads only on gravel or unpaved roads, especially good in hilly country on loose gravel surfaces, not recommended by any manufacturer to use 4x4 on made roads,and usually at not over 80 KPH if you do use 4x4

What would the BIB know about how  to drive, they don't know how to drive themselves and have never been taught properly:sleepy:

2 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Been driving 4x4 vehicles 2H, 4H, 4L for approx 55 years now and never had a accident in one

Never used 4x4 on bitumen or concrete roads only on gravel or unpaved roads, especially good in hilly country on loose gravel surfaces, not recommended by any manufacturer to use 4x4 on made roads,and usually at not over 80 KPH if you do use 4x4

What would the BIB know about how  to drive, they don't know how to drive themselves and have never been taught properly:sleepy:

My Vigo 4x4 handbook says I can use 4x4 on wet blacktop, I was told by the motor engineer at Toyota l can drive at any speed in 4x4 but must engage or disengage below 80kph...

On 20/06/2017 at 7:45 AM, gandalf12 said:

One thing not mentioned here, unless I have missed it, but Off road driving requires different techniques. How many people have had any training in Off road driving?

One or two I would think, though a few decades back now, CTA, Salisbury Plain, Soltau ,Bergen Hohne and a nice excursion in the desert with 7th Arm Bde.