Land Transport Department determined to enforce stricter road safety measures

webfact

Land Transport Department determined to enforce stricter road safety measures

PNSOC600618001003901.jpg

BANGKOK, 19th June 2017 (NNT) - The Department of Land Transport is determined to enforce road safety measures more strictly, particularly among truck drivers. 

Land Transport Department Director-General Sanit Promwong said today that attention is now being given to large haulage trucks in an effort to reduce the number of road accidents. 

Mr. Sanit said that land transport offices across the country have been instructed to constantly perform inspections of trucks, especially the ones transporting containers, and their drivers. 

At the same time, the department has informed transport operators to make sure their drivers comply with all safety regulations concerning transportation and to ensure no transported items fall off or affect others on the road, he added. 

In addition, operators are instructed to install GPS tracking systems on all their trucks by 2019 so that they can learn more about the performance of the vehicles and the driving behavior of their employees.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-06-19

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Long past time, this should have been done years ago.

There are thousands of buses on the roads here which are not road worthy.

Only last week as we were sitting at traffic lights at Banphai, a bus next to us had   2 bald tyres.

Due to the defamation laws i cannot name the company, but they have many buses going from Bangkok to the north east everyday.

Long past time, this should have been done years ago.
There are thousands of buses on the roads here which are not road worthy.
Only last week as we were sitting at traffic lights at Banphai, a bus next to us had   2 bald tyres.
Due to the defamation laws i cannot name the company, but they have many buses going from Bangkok to the north east everyday.

I wonder how many Police checkpoint's that bus had either been stopped at, or waved through whilst the policemen dozed, in the preceding five days?
That's the problem - no consistent enforcement.

Another much needed action for safety on the roads, that if past operations are anything to go by, will run from today, until about Thursday. The cops will have got tired of it by then and will consider the job done. The carnage will continue, because there are just way too many @rseholes using the roads.

Edited by darksidedog

I am still waiting for the motorbikes going on the pavements and driving on the wrong side of the road, trucks with passengers in the back and cars doing U turns illegally to be consistently enforced. So please excuse my pessimistic nature, as I have heard the word determined so many times, it usually equates to a week or 2 at best.

Voice in the wilderness, it will work for a short while and than, as usual,

back to the old days, because the  old ways are like I don't see, I don't

say, I don't care, no enforcements will work in this country as ling as

the people who're paid to enforce will take their job and it's consequences

more seriously... 

Mainly the drivers are the problem on Thai roads.

Until moving violations are enforced and not just paperwork checks (police retirement fund), the roads will always be lethal.

I propose an intelligence test instead of the current driving test!

10 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

They are only focussing on 50% of the problem. The other 50% are the lunatic drivers. When will they focus on the operator and not just the machine?

"Mr. Sanit said that land transport offices across the country have been instructed to constantly perform inspections of trucks, especially the ones transporting containers, and their drivers."

It does say, "...and their drivers", but I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.  In fact, don't hold your breath on any of it.

Edited by Moti24

555,  I'm glad to hear something but always a reaction to something that happen which was all over Thai news, a truck carrying oil, fuel, turn over and the content all came out on the Highway. 

First, the department got to know what is the problem which they don't, to inspect a vehicle you got to know what to inspect and if a driver has no job security if they report a defect and refuse to take the vehicle on the road, you got nothing. And if spot checks to transport companies aren't done to review the records you got nothing. Only thing that works is enforcement 24/7, and 1% of being caught will never work as their record shows. You can spend another Million/Billion on signs and paint nice lines on the road the honor system doesn't ever work.

I've noticed over the Years my Ferang Chums here who constantly bleat about bad driving here are rather unsafe themselves. The non bleaters are rather good, and I don't mind being a passenger with them.They tend to be the Non Office Types, with no chip on shoulder,and just handle a situation..It's not only Thais that cause probs,my Ozz mate collects Wing Mirrors from Big C car parks,like trophies.?[emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I am still waiting for the motorbikes going on the pavements and driving on the wrong side of the road, trucks with passengers in the back and cars doing U turns illegally

bet we could have an ongoing column here for driving in thailand

I'm still waiting for one of these so motorcycles won't have to compete with all the nonsense of double parking, illegal parking, motorcycles going the wrong way, vans, vendors, songteaws, taxis, buses, cars entering and exiting businesses, markets as well as intersections etc etc etc!

What is the difference between a car and a motorcycle, it's certainly not that one is faster than the other?

keep right.jpg

2 hours ago, JAG said:

I wonder how many Police checkpoint's that bus had either been stopped at, or waved through whilst the policemen dozed, in the preceding five days?

Keeps the BiB happy, to collect fines from the exact same trucks over and over again.  These trucks should be totally removed from the roads, instead of driving again, after the fine has been paid.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

nother much needed action for safety on the roads, that if past operations are anything to go by, will run from today, until about Thursday. The cops will have got tired of it by then and will consider the job done.

Good point. I recall years ago there were senior cops amidst an accident scene. A brave reporter asked why the accident happened because there were new laws about that subject.

The cop replied.  'Yes but we've already finished that campaign.'

Says it all. 

10 minutes ago, Xonax said:

Keeps the BiB happy, to collect fines from the exact same trucks over and over again.  These trucks should be totally removed from the roads, instead of driving again, after the fine has been paid.

Or the vehicle owners fined so heavily that they would be pushed to keep their vehicles in good shape because they fear the large fin.

And perhaps confiscation of vehicles if there have been multiple fined paid. 

2 hours ago, JAG said:

Consistency? Since when are the police actively involved in any sort of traffic law enforcement?

Until someone finds a way to make the police actually do their job and enforce the traffic laws all are doomed to fail. The crackdown syndrome which afflicts our police is an instant end to effective upholding of the law. Police should enforce all the laws, all of the time; as opposed to the current scenario of one of the laws, once in a while.

another photo opp for the loud, proud ,luvin the crowd ,thai ..JUST DO THE JOB YOU ARE PAID TO DO..must they always have a media blitz to enforce a law...

Edited by mok199
spelling

2 hours ago, mark01 said:

Mainly the drivers are the problem on Thai roads.

Until moving violations are enforced and not just paperwork checks (police retirement fund), the roads will always be lethal.

I propose an intelligence test instead of the current driving test!

Admit it, you love the idea to play city golf on all the empty roads in Bangkok.