Land Transport Department determined to enforce stricter road safety measures

webfact

2 hours ago, mark01 said:

Mainly the drivers are the problem on Thai roads.

Until moving violations are enforced and not just paperwork checks (police retirement fund), the roads will always be lethal.

I propose an intelligence test instead of the current driving test!

A Thai with intelligence?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Long past time, this should have been done years ago.

There are thousands of buses on the roads here which are not road worthy.

Only last week as we were sitting at traffic lights at Banphai, a bus next to us had   2 bald tyres.

Due to the defamation laws i cannot name the company, but they have many buses going from Bangkok to the north east everyday.

Depending on where the bus has bald tires.

Bald tires on a bus or truck is not as worse as for a car due the weight is presses the water film away.

As long as the tire is in good condition depending on the location of the truck or bus a bald tire is not a safety concern.

The overall tire condition is more important and that is also in the west a problem

Maybe they could start an annual vehicle check policy at government approved testing stations, if it fails it's off the road until fixed.

Then at least once a year all vehicles would get a thorough test, as well as roadside checks all year round it might cut down on faulty vehicles being driven.

At the testing station they can also check for insurance & vehicle tax certificates, also driving licenses.

Any vehicle without proper paperwork is reported to the police.

As for the drivers themselves only a policy of mandatory lobotomies will achieve anything....

24 minutes ago, Autonuaq said:

Depending on where the bus has bald tires.

Bald tires on a bus or truck is not as worse as for a car due the weight is presses the water film away.

As long as the tire is in good condition depending on the location of the truck or bus a bald tire is not a safety concern.

The overall tire condition is more important and that is also in the west a problem

What are you talking about?

I have had both hgv, psv licenses in the UK, over 50 years driving experience, and have never heard such nonsense in my life.

A bus sitting in the inside lane, and us in the outside lane, only tyres visible are, offside front, offside outside rear, both were bald.

That is extremely dangerous, and nobody can defend, or make excuses for that.

Last week in the news a bus went off the road, because offside front tyre blew, so in your opinion that was not a safety issue.

Edited by colinneil

So the Land Transport Dept now have to come out of their offices & go & do their own checking

because the Police are not capable ?

If the PM wants a good train system how about starting with Bangkok Laem Chabang dual carriageway freight

trains to take thousands of trucks off the road instead of hellbent on high speed trains to Korat which the locals will not use as will be too expensive

& unless they start to understand the word "maintenance" will be the biggest single disaster & loss of life

Thailand has ever seen.

The SRT has how many accidents a month ? but they go so slow not much damage done

4 hours ago, NormanW said:

They should enforce the plethora of red light jumpers. But they won't. 

It's a national pastime!

Truly depressing. 

One of the most dangerous places to be in Thailand, is at the head of the traffic, waiting for the lights to change.

Be it pedestrian or driver, it would be suicidal to make a move before the red light runners have screamed thru the lights.

Oh for some red light cameras and efficient follow-up.

A post denigrating Thai people has been removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

The road safety test is a joke. They check the brakes work, emissions on my euro 3 diesel that produces a cloud of smoke. They check how noisy it is and then the lights. Serial number on chassis. Tyres are not checked, nor is suspension or steering/tracking/etc. I had some blue leds on my fog lights and they said that was a big nono so i had to disconnect them; they have been on the pickup 10 years! 

Idiots still speed though the village; alot of them kids on motorbikes with little idea about safety. Crossing the road can be dangerous! Kids dont cross the road alone and numerous dogs get hit and killed/maimed or end up with a limp. So what needs to be done to change the mindset?

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Another much needed action for safety on the roads, that if past operations are anything to go by, will run from today, until about Thursday. The cops will have got tired of it by then and will consider the job done. The carnage will continue, because there are just way too many @rseholes using the roads.

The carnage on the roads is as you say, too many AHs on the roads. However, is this down to the driver directly, or the present or past governments? We are all fully aware of the situation but until that situation is properly addressed, we are stuck with what we have.

5 hours ago, mark01 said:

Until moving violations are enforced and not just paperwork checks (police retirement fund), the roads will always be lethal.

Lol. There would be no one left on the roads! Lunatic drivers combined with poorly a not maintained vehicles is obviously a lethal combination. Crazy how there are no regular cof or wof tests meaning that you can drive a vehicle forever without any road fitness tests at all.

The first priority in Thailand should be to totally reform the police force, which everyone knows is not fit for purpose. The first step, already partly in place, is to let the army do the policing. While that is happening a proper police force can be recruited and trained. The fact that the police rarely do the job they are paid for leads to everyone breaking the law, from minor infractions to major, because they know there is a 90 percent + chance they will get away with it. The lack of law enforcement is like a cancer that has spread through society from top to bottom.

If Thailand wants to be considered anything other than a Third World country it has to have a proper and effective police force and the rest falls into place, including charging people for road infractions. Instead of being labelled by the UN as a well organised criminal organisation.

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

Only last week as we were sitting at traffic lights at Banphai, a bus next to us had   2 bald tyres.

Due to the defamation laws i cannot name the company, but they have many buses going from Bangkok to the north east everyday.

I have seen many public transit busses with sidewalls peeling apart. Only on the drive wheels not on front. 

Today I got stopped at a police checkpoint going home from the US Consulate. The cop said he stopped me for not riding motorbike in the far left lane. 1, the left lane was blocked by other vehicles getting stopped and 2,  the far left lane was a left turn lane, also marked as a bus lane. He showed me the fine was ฿500 but all I had was ฿1000 bill, he took it and kept the change. 555, oh well I consider the number of times I parked on the sidewalk at ASOK to use the Citi ATM, that fine is ฿5000. And my Intl drivers license expired a year ago. 

Consequently, this will give more occasions to rise larger quotas of tea money!?....

under current situations plainly calling to enforce the law will not change anything....it has to start with cleaning up the police force from the street level cops, giving better ethics education in the force and last but not least, improving the monthly pay of street level police officers......

on the other hand what is the use on having well paid beat cops on the street, if these officers are aware that any promotion/career prospects would be based on the amount of the bribe they can give and absolutely not by the standards of their work??!!

how would a potentially honest police officer remain honest if he sees his corrupt buddies in the force making millions through bribes, illegal brothels, mafia kick backs, short time guesthouses etc. etc...???

Until the whole system is cleaned and whitewashed from top to bottom, such safety campaigns will change nothing but only add some harassment to the common honest working class Thai's!..

But now now....c'mon....corruption is scarce in Thailand..o

One should not judge an entire force just due to one or maybe two rotten apples?:cheesy:...corruption is just a farang invented legend, similar to Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, bad taxi drivers in Bangkok and Mickey Mouse:cheesy:©....and if farangs don't like, they can leave....(but please leave your money here):wink::bah::clap2::cheesy:

Edited by observer90210

8 hours ago, mark01 said:

Typical of the public service and it's masters - always tinkering around the edges of any problem rather than dealing with the real issues!

"I propose an intelligence test instead of the current driving test!"  (my italics)     Aaaaaagh..there will be no or very few licensed drivers! :shock1:

8 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

I've noticed over the Years my Ferang Chums here who constantly bleat about bad driving here are rather unsafe themselves. The non bleaters are rather good, and I don't mind being a passenger with them.They tend to be the Non Office Types, with no chip on shoulder,and just handle a situation..It's not only Thais that cause probs,my Ozz mate collects Wing Mirrors from Big C car parks,like trophies.?emoji85.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

That says more about the company you keep....  ;-)

Sure. How is the new mini van rule working out? How about the number of people in the back of a truck? 

You can't teach these people. They are savages who are unwilling to learn a better / safer way to live.

9 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

I've noticed over the Years my Ferang Chums here who constantly bleat about bad driving here are rather unsafe themselves. The non bleaters are rather good, and I don't mind being a passenger with them.They tend to be the Non Office Types, with no chip on shoulder,and just handle a situation..It's not only Thais that cause probs,my Ozz mate collects Wing Mirrors from Big C car parks,like trophies.?emoji85.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

There's always at least one on here who'll try to make out that farang drivers are as bad as Thai. Thankfully, most of us know this is utter nonsense.

You should apply for a job with the Thai Land Transport Dept, you'd be a hit.

Edited by jesimps

11 hours ago, colinneil said:

give us a clue 

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Consequently, this will give more occasions to rise larger quotas of tea money!?....

under current situations plainly calling to enforce the law will not change anything....it has to start with cleaning up the police force from the street level cops, giving better ethics education in the force and last but not least, improving the monthly pay of street level police officers......

on the other hand what is the use on having well paid beat cops on the street, if these officers are aware that any promotion/career prospects would be based on the amount of the bribe they can give and absolutely not by the standards of their work??!!

how would a potentially honest police officer remain honest if he sees his corrupt buddies in the force making millions through bribes, illegal brothels, mafia kick backs, short time guesthouses etc. etc...???

Until the whole system is cleaned and whitewashed from top to bottom, such safety campaigns will change nothing but only add some harassment to the common honest working class Thai's!..

But now now....c'mon....corruption is scarce in Thailand..o

One should not judge an entire force just due to one or maybe two rotten apples?:cheesy:...corruption is just a farang invented legend, similar to Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, bad taxi drivers in Bangkok and Mickey Mouse:cheesy:©....and if farangs don't like, they can leave....(but please leave your money here):wink::bah::clap2::cheesy:

For a minute I thought I wrote this post .

Does this crackdown on trucks indicate a reaction to analysis of accident records?
I doubt it.
My totally random observations tell me that many accidents involving trucks are the result of people running into the back of them.

12 minutes ago, bheard said:

Does this crackdown on trucks indicate a reaction to analysis of accident records?
I doubt it.
My totally random observations tell me that many accidents involving trucks are the result of people running into the back of them.

Unfortunately.

Whatever the result of the collision is, there is one underlying theme - driver brain failure!

9 hours ago, Nowisee said:

Sorry, I have little hope and few expectations that any sort of reasonable consistent action will be taken by properly trained employees.  

Too many weak links.

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

3 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

Today I got stopped at a police checkpoint going home from the US Consulate. The cop said he stopped me for not riding motorbike in the far left lane. 1, the left lane was blocked by other vehicles getting stopped and 2,  the far left lane was a left turn lane, also marked as a bus lane. He showed me the fine was ฿500 but all I had was ฿1000 bill, he took it and kept the change. 555, oh well I consider the number of times I parked on the sidewalk at ASOK to use the Citi ATM, that fine is ฿5000. And my Intl drivers license expired a year ago. 

I had that down as a home win, until your sterling comeback in the closing stages, so I have declared a score draw