USA topic -- when you get a call from the IRS saying you have an arrest warrant

5555... but is there such a rule of you don't file, the IRS, can access via the FBAR, and there is that 50% penalty based on the balance in the saving account?

Notice a couple of time this is prominent in the adverts for Expat tax services....

5555... but is there such a rule of you don't file, the IRS, can access via the FBAR, and there is that 50% penalty based on the balance in the saving account?

Notice a couple of time this is prominent in the adverts for Expat tax services....

True but they won't communicate as in the funny video.

I suppose a good way to deal with calls that you aren't sure I'd they're scams or not is to ask them to provide a number to call them back.

If they refuse definitely a scam.

If they do then google it and if after that you're still unsure call the actual agency they claim to be and describe how you were contacted.

Of course they prey on elderly and less savvy people than the "smart man" in the video.

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I suppose a good way to deal with calls that you aren't sure I'd they're scams or not is to ask them to provide a number to call them back.

Nope; ask for their name and tell them you will phone the organisation back on it's official number and ask for them to continue the discussion.

Had a "nice" debate with an idiot from my bank once who called me out of the blue and insisted I answer security questions to prove it was me before he would tell me what he called me for!  Eventually told him to send me a letter before I hung up after about 7 minutes refusing to tell him date of birth, full address, card number etc. a letter trying to sell me insurance turned up a couple of days later :cheesy:

Nope; ask for their name and tell them you will phone the organisation back on it's official number and ask for them to continue the discussion.

Had a "nice" debate with an idiot from my bank once who called me out of the blue and insisted I answer security questions to prove it was me before he would tell me what he called me for!  Eventually told him to send me a letter before I hung up after about 7 minutes refusing to tell him date of birth, full address, card number etc. a letter trying to sell me insurance turned up a couple of days later :cheesy:

Whatever works. The IRS may not call but other institutions might. The general point is be suspicious about any such call and seek confirmation.

Just wonder if some of those Expat Tax services feed the beast as some will post articles regarding penalties and revoking of Passports for not filing or paying taxes... not sure about the filing... part.

I received one of these calls from the US "IRS" sometime last year, telling me my "1040 Tax Return" had been Audited and found to be fraudulent and I was therefore subject to substantial fines etc. etc..

The obvious problem was that I am British and have never filed a US Tax Return in my life!

I must admire the persistence of the scammer however since he spent a couple of minutes trying to convince me that I was still somehow liable for US Taxes!

I should also admit that, unlike the amiable chap in the Posted video, I am rather more vicious with people who cold call me from impressive sounding "Investment Advisors" - which happens perhaps a couple of times a year. I immediately interrupt their recitation of the usual script by asking "Does your mother know what you do?", which invariably results in them asking "what do you mean?" and my rather heated response then is "does your mother know you are a thief? Do you think she would be proud to know that her daughter spends her days trying to steal money from older people?"

Stunned silence followed by a hangup of the 'phone.

Patrick

On 22/6/2560 at 1:28 PM, Grubster said:

The problem is every once in a while they get a confused little old lady and she gives them all.  These are one of very few people in the world that I would truly like to see get hurt badly.

It's just a numbers game. They only need to get lucky one time and it pays for their time making all the unsuccessful calls.