Interview With Ajahn Sumedho

camerata

Thx for the link, im reading it now & finding it interesting.

Has anyone met Ajahn Sumedo? What was your impression? Do you think he is spiritually advanced ?? Just curious.

I was fortunate enough to "sai bart" (give him food) when he was in BKK once. Unfortunately didn't have a good question to ask him at the time and didnt hear him talk... can't really comment beyond that.

Edited by Grover

hi all

i met Ajahn Sumedo about 12years ago in germany....

i have met loads and loads of so called spritual people.....it was my main hobby.....

was i impressed?...not at all...he seemed to be slightly dull and certainly not awake in any way....if anything scared to be really questioned.....he loved it when people asked him easy stuff and seemed to adore him....

will he help other wake up..i doubt it....

its what i saw...i was trying my best to look as clearly as i could...

most people are really impressed by him...they adore him...most people are sheep when it comes to this waking up business.....

interested

hi all

i have met loads and loads of so called spritual people.....it was my main hobby.....

was i impressed?...not at all...he seemed to be slightly dull and certainly not awake in any way....

Were you a Buddhist at the time and able to fully appreciate what he was saying? Which of the so-called spiritual people you met impressed you as being the real deal?

Has anyone met Ajahn Sumedo? What was your impression? Do you think he is spiritually advanced ?? Just curious.

I was fortunate enough to "sai bart" (give him food) when he was in BKK once. Unfortunately didn't have a good question to ask him at the time and didnt hear him talk... can't really comment beyond that.

I did meet Ajahn Sumedo while he was visiting Sami Ling in Eskdalemuire in Scotland, he seemed very open and very humble and true to the Buddhadarma. I have followed many high teachings and teachers but I am happy to understand the teachings and practice of all schools. Some I find more comfortable and trusting these are my needs, we are all on are own path the blessings I have are good like minded spiritual friends.

I need many more years to answer your question but I would feel safe with this monk. I hope this helps?

I've met him on several occasions in Thailand and in the USA, most recently when he gave a talk at the Siam Society last year (or maybe the year before ... :o). Don't know if I'm qualified to comment on his spiritual advancement, but he gives excellent dharma talks, IMO. I like the way he states things very simply and directly, as in the interview Camerata posted a link to.

hi all

was i impressed?...not at all...he seemed to be slightly dull and certainly not awake in any way....

Were you a Buddhist at the time and able to fully appreciate what he was saying? Which of the so-called spiritual people you met impressed you as being the real deal?

i have never been a buddhist.......do you need to be a buddhist to appreciate buddhist teachings?

most of the spritual folks i met were not the real deal in my opinion...i met tons...that was my life...my dream was to wake up....nearly every hour of my life was spent looking for the truth....i cannot say any living person i met impressed me fully...one dead one..ramana maharshi of south india whom i never met but do respect....

i have never been a buddhist.......do you need to be a buddhist to appreciate buddhist teachings?

Well, it's normally Buddhists or scholars who are familiar with the teachings. To evaluate a teacher properly you'd need to have some familiarity with his teachings. For example, Ajahn Sumedho's book, The Mind and the Way is one of the deepest and most inspiring I've ever read, but he might not talk at that level on any given day.

most of the spritual folks i met were not the real deal in my opinion...i met tons...that was my life...my dream was to wake up....nearly every hour of my life was spent looking for the truth....i cannot say any living person i met impressed me fully

How did you determine whether they were the real deal or not?

Well, it's normally Buddhists or scholars who are familiar with the teachings. To evaluate a teacher properly you'd need to have some familiarity with his teachings. For example, Ajahn Sumedho's book, The Mind and the Way is one of the deepest and most inspiring I've ever read, but he might not talk at that level on any given day.

most of the spritual folks i met were not the real deal in my opinion...i met tons...that was my life...my dream was to wake up....nearly every hour of my life was spent looking for the truth....i cannot say any living person i met impressed me fully
How did you determine whether they were the real deal or not?

the teachings of a teacher are rarely an indication of that teachers true worth...

many teachers write interesting things but when coming face to face with them they seem lacking...

easy for them to be a parrot teacher if they have a decent memory...

the words can be based on acting a role/dreams not reality...

true worth lies in that reality from which the teaching comes...

how did i determine the value of the teachers i met?

its rather like tasting food....

one knows soon enough if the taste agrees or not...

one acquires ones taste over many years....

really? :o

so, when did you achieve enlightenment ?

i have been answering questions....

expressing my opinion...

as to making claims about myself...

then i am deeply sorry if i gave a misleading impression...

i have not achieved enlightenment..

i have failed at most things in my life including the quest for enlightenment....

failure sometimes makes for an interesting teacher...

• 2 weeks later...
really? :o

so, when did you achieve enlightenment ?

i have been answering questions....

expressing my opinion...

as to making claims about myself...

then i am deeply sorry if i gave a misleading impression...

i have not achieved enlightenment..

i have failed at most things in my life including the quest for enlightenment....

failure sometimes makes for an interesting teacher...

Reminds me of the Ajah Chah story of the dog chasing his own tail, or was it the dog with mange, can't remember. The point is the answer is in setting aside the striving to scratch the eternal itch.

I've met many buddhist teachers including Ajahn Sumedho, none of them made me feel that I'd met some idea of the ideal buddhist teacher or enlightened being, but really i haven't been looking for that as I don't think that's what the buddhist path is about.

Most were inspiring in their own way and had something valuable to pass on and i'm greatful for that.

Spiritual seekers start off with a strong feeling there must be more to life than this, I think there's actually less, it's that feeling of non-acceptance that drives us and causes suffering that we need to drop so we can enjoy the present moment.

• 5 weeks later...