Video: "Please step out of the vehicle" - "But what is the charge, officer?"

webfact

Video: "Please step out of the vehicle" - "But what is the charge, officer?"

4pm.jpg

Picture: TNews

BANGKOK: -- A woman posted her experience of a police stop that is being widely shared online.

She said in the post: You can't trust the police....they didn't have ID or wouldn't show it to me. All they kept saying is step out of the vehicle. They wouldn't say what the charge was.

The police were using the phrase "Let's have a chat about this" repeatedly.

This phrase has been heard by drivers before and is sometimes used as a euphemism leading to a roadside "fine".

But the woman refused to get out complaining on video that the officers were not behaving properly despite their sweet words.

Tnews reported that the clip was uploaded to the Facebook page of "Baep Nee Ko Dai Reu?" (Does this kind of thing go on?)

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-21

The great thing about never driving in Thailand (apart from the obvious) is that I don't have to deal with these buffoons. My friend drives a lot and seems to often have run-ins with them. I've never uttered a word to a policeman and never had him utter a word to me. It's fantastic. 

9 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

The great thing about never driving in Thailand (apart from the obvious) is that I don't have to deal with these buffoons. My friend drives a lot and seems to often have run-ins with them. I've never uttered a word to a policeman and never had him utter a word to me. It's fantastic. 

We are all different, i like that I drive myself gives me far more freedom as when I had to use taxi's. To each his or her own. I almost never have a problem with the police. On my bike I have more problems than with the car, but I am often in the outside lane on my big bike and that is not allowed. So I accept fines without a problem. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

We are all different, i like that I drive myself gives me far more freedom as when I had to use taxi's. To each his or her own. I almost never have a problem with the police. On my bike I have more problems than with the car, but I am often in the outside lane on my big bike and that is not allowed. So I accept fines without a problem. 

One of the most stupid rules this country has, and it has a few. But it only seems to be enforced when they want a back-hander.

6 minutes ago, halloween said:

One of the most stupid rules this country has, and it has a few. But it only seems to be enforced when they want a back-hander.

It is a stupid rule if it is enforced uniformly. I can understand them not wanting slow moving bikes on the fast lane, but a big bike that can outrun most of the cars.. There is no sense in these bikes not using the fast lane. But I know I am breaking the rules.. so when they catch me (rare) I just pay up without a problem. I rather be in the fast lane then in the suicide lane (most left lane) where buses, taxi's mini vans and whoever else wants to stop or cut you off can kill you. It is of course needed that you do keep up with the other traffic in the lane you are traveling. 

4 hours ago, robblok said:

I rather be in the fast lane then in the suicide lane (most left lane) where buses, taxi's mini vans and whoever else wants to stop or cut you off can kill you.

You forget the risk of a U-turn if you drive that fast lane, many were killed driving that lane.

4 minutes ago, RotMahKid said:

You forget the risk of a U-turn if you drive that fast lane, many were killed driving that lane.

Kinda depends where you drive in BKK the problem is a lot less.. and its BKK where they enforce the fast lane thing for motorbikes the most.

... and the BIB's blue smartphone!! - was it for capturing the moment his bullet enters her face??

- but then,  if he's recording his derringodes, I in hindsight world err that he might have been for real in any case

a fake (with brains) would try to minimise his exposure to avoidable evidence

7 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Ive been stopped by the police 3 times in 8 years. 

The benefits of having your own car far outweigh having to talk to a policeman once every 3 years 

busses/vans/trains? I'll pass thanks

8 hours ago, rkidlad said:

In a 10 millions car I also never had to talk to them or even open my window !

8 hours ago, robblok said:

I find there are times when you have to ride on the outside lane, suppose the road is very busy and you want to do a U or right turn further ahead, you 

are going to have to move out early as if you wait too long you may not have the chance to move out as the traffic won't let you no matter how long

you are indicating.

9 hours ago, robblok said:

Never heard of that one not allowed in outside lane

The lady is absolutely right, the police needs to show their badge so we know who's speaking.

They stopped me like this, wearing mouthmask like on the pic and also big sunglasses so i had no idea who the officer was. His face was 20 cm distance from mine and he was yelling as loud as he could, very rude.

Lucky i couldn't understand a word of what he was trying to say so i politely asked him to speak english several times....then he wanted me to go go go.....perfect!

43 minutes ago, helloagain said:

Never heard of that one not allowed in outside lane

Actually one has to use the outside lane anyhow: for overtaking, avoiding to get stuck behind double parking vehicles, preparing for a right or U-turn. When moving straight, the road is clear and nobody else to overtake, one will proceed in the left lane anyway.

First encounter I had with the BIB was when my new girl friend and later wife wanted to take me to meet her family just b4 I few home. In a brand new car with red plates on, a cop on a bike stopped her for doing 80 in a 120 and told her 200B, I got out of the car and flashed my ID a bit like his but better. He panicked as he knew what it was and I knew I had had my first encounter with a corrupt cop.

Over the years I have driven 100.000 of KM stopped a few times and did the same or just started talking and never a problem as some badges work and chatting about football which I hate also works, try saying Liverpool.

But corrupt cops are why I am not there at the moment, maybe when he goes down as he will I will be.

Mind you in that photo one looked pissed the other toothless are they real cops?

Edited by wakeupplease

5 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

Ive been stopped by the police 3 times in 8 years. 

The benefits of having your own car far outweigh having to talk to a policeman once every 3 years 

busses/vans/trains? I'll pass thanks

In Chiang Mai around the old city, between 8-9am until around 3pm, it's easy to get stopped up to five times PER DAY (on a bike) if you're on main roads. It's absurd. If there is an opening I run them but I usually have to stop half of the time even though everything is legit, but they stop most everyone looking for any reason to give a ticket.

It's police scumbaggery at its finest and one of the reasons I hate going outside in the daytime now. I usually have to pass 2 stops just to get to the old city, where there are at least 4 or 5 more happening in various places. Back sois are a life saver. If you are new to the city and don't know them, you're at the mercy of Chiang Mai's finest. 

"What's the charge?"   Wrong question, as the answer will be about B10K to start.  A better answer might be to just casually flip through your "papers", where you usually keep your DL, and let them catch a glimpse of a few reds you just happen to have there.  That should start the ball rolling...    They probably want you out of and away from the car because they've caught on to motorists, you or the next guy in line and others around, having dashcams and cells recording the "action" and they don't really want their faces plastered all over Youtube.

I wouldn't get out of the car.  I would keep a friendly and cooperative smile on my face, and keep counter-insisting, oh so very politely and softly, that you can chat right here and hear them fine.  Unless they have a really serious gripe with you, I think they'll get tired of the game.

"why do we need to talk just write the ticket" is what I can hear in the video. Reminds me of 30 years ago when a policeman tried to get 500 out of me for a parking offense. "Don't have 500 on me, write me a ticket" was my repeated reply. Eventually he gave me a ticket that said at the bottom "maximum fine 200".

15 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

But corrupt cops are why I am not there at the moment, maybe when he goes down as he will I will be.

I'm interested in this having been deprived of 55K (Tuesday) on a trumped up charge by a bent cop with no protection from Thannachart Insurers.  I too am now contemplating fleeing to safer shores.

A question this raises for me; what is required from a legal standpoint (remembering this is thailand, not the west):

if asked, is a police officer required to show ID?

if asked by a police officer, is a driver required to exit the vehicle?

one would assume that asking why you have been stopped requires an answer, but is that written in law here?

it sounded to me like she was saying 'lets go to soi9 and talk" - is that the station/police box location? If you opt to ask for this, are they obliged to do so?

i dont think they were fake, he was far too polite, and a scammer would back down after being repeatedly challenged. 

Still a little odd he wouldnt just talk with her whilst in the car.