Pattaya marathon postponed

owl sees all

Notice Regarding Postponement of Pattaya Marathon 2017

Accordingly, the Pattaya Marathon 2017 which was scheduled to be held on Sunday July 16th 2017 at Pattaya Beach Road (in front of Central Festival Pattaya Beach). The event has been postponed due to the fact that Pattaya City could not procure the event organizer as our requirements.
Therefore, the event would be held again on Sunday September 3rd 2017 at Central Festival Pattaya Beach and for the exact date for the Marathon registration, Pattaya City will be announced soon.
Pattaya City apologized for this inconvenience.
Regards.

I'm hugely upset over this. Has it got anything to do with the recent go-go or gentleman club crackdown? Can anyone shed a little light here.

Loss of face will mean never finding the real reason for postponement. Not really the way to go on if you want to be a sporting hub; especially for an event where elite competitors plan a schedule many months ahead of time.

4 minutes ago, champers said:

Not really the way to go on if you want to be a sporting hub; especially for an event where elite competitors plan a schedule many months ahead of time.

My daughter had planned on coming over from the UK to run but found it strange that there were no entry details available. Although the TAT lady had done her bit in promoting it.

Edited by owl sees all

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Has it got anything to do with the recent go-go or gentleman club crackdown?

Sorry but can you explain why you think there would be any sort of linkage to this?

I've tried to find out info'  on the marathon. The only difference between now and a week ago has been the crackdown. 

The TAT wants to promote sport and the authorities want to clean up Pattaya. I don't live there and I'm asking if anyone thinks there could be a connection.

When I did a bit of sport years ago it took a calamity to cancel an international event like this. Many international athletes might have booked their flights,, etc.

43 minutes ago, retirementenquiry said:

what a shame being in training for the last 3 months :burp: all thought quality tourists tat will miss out on

Well it has only been postponed so your training is not wasted. Just keep the aerobic work going for another couple of weeks. You'll be OK.

As for the tourists and sports fans they are not so lucky. They would have come from far and wide. They might keep to their flights but no marathon!! What could they do instead? Sunbathe and swim in the bay!

22 hours ago, owl sees all said:

When I did a bit of sport years ago it took a calamity to cancel an international event like this. Many international athletes might have booked their flights,, etc.

I would hardly class the Pattaya runs an international event. Come September, any 'international athlete' worth their running shoes is probably doing the big one in Capetown.

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I would hardly class the Pattaya runs an international event. Come September, any 'international athlete' worth their running shoes is probably doing the big one in Capetown.

These sporting events have a common following. Clubs decide in the close season what events to target. Cancelling with less than a month to go puts a big question mark against the authorities commitment to quality sport.

The fact that is is now scheduled for September is of little consolation to those who had the Thai marathon (16th July) in their original programme.

Edited by owl sees all

On 2017-6-21 at 2:14 PM, owl sees all said:

I've tried to find out info'  on the marathon. The only difference between now and a week ago has been the crackdown. 

The TAT wants to promote sport and the authorities want to clean up Pattaya. I don't live there and I'm asking if anyone thinks there could be a connection.

There is no real crack down. The reason for the postponement is lack of interest. Both locally and internationally. 

5 minutes ago, The manic said:

There is no real crack down. The reason for the postponement is lack of interest. Both locally and internationally. 

You are probably correct.

I reckon the sponsors have pulled out. Last Pattaya marathon (July 17th 2016) was advertised as an 'International event' with 2 million Baht prize money.

This year I could't find out, still can't, full details of the race. I'm a member of a couple of Thai running sites and it's almost as the event doesn't exist.