Rules for showing 65k per month "income" to qualify for retirement extension

14 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Only 636 Pounds extra/yr for the wife?  That is harsh.  Are you expected not to need 2x more food?  Not to mention a bit more living-space than if single?

But if you have Zero Ties to the UK, and arrive by hijacking a truck from France, no annual-income required at all, right?

Maybe try flying her into France and telling her to hijack a truck - seems the easy/cheap option :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bizboi said:

I wonder how that fits for UK retirees seen as the state pension max is only 175 pounds a week

Sorry but wrong , if you reached retirement age before 06 April 2016 the pension is 122 pounds & 30 pence a week . If born after 06 April 1951 he will get 159 pounds & 55 pence per week .   Where did you get your figures from ? 

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1. If you have a blank statutory declaration to complete that will be all you need.

2. No appointment is needed. 

2. No

3. Yes But best to just to just show only your monthly gross income in ASD on the stat dec.

4. The embassy will not ask any questions.

5. If immigration was to ask for back up proof showing some regular incoming transfers to your bank would be the best proof.

In response to your answer 2of 2 you said NO.

I had a friend from Australia that went to the Aussie Embassy and was told they now need proof of income.

23 minutes ago, bridge2bridge said:

I had a friend from Australia that went to the Aussie Embassy and was told they now need proof of income.

They did want proof for a short period of time earlier this year and then dropped the requirement.

Topic posted in March about it and this is the first post of them not wanting it.

On 21/06/2017 at 8:27 PM, YetAnother said:

perhaps this is too delicate a subject and , doubtless, has been revisited many times....,why 65000 ? small families in my province get by on 9000/month; so why 65000 ? (yes i know some idiot in a backroom somewhere just made it up); in general , why must the thais put the financial requirements at levels that would qualify for higher-than-high-middle-class ?

9000 is a joke. I think the thais have it about right. Any farang would need 65,000 for a reasonable lifestyle, maybe less if they own a property. I guess they don't want the bums living on 9K.

6 hours ago, Henryford said:

9000 is a joke. I think the thais have it about right. Any farang would need 65,000 for a reasonable lifestyle, maybe less if they own a property. I guess they don't want the bums living on 9K.

There is a lot of space between 9,000 and 65,000.  If I didn't enjoy the company of women, 9K would be enough to scrape by in a smaller town, but I can see that not being "worth" issuing a visa, as the overall contribution to the Thai economy is minimal.  I do quite well on ~40K living in a nice condo with beautiful view of the islands, including a lifestyle that keeps a lady (my gf for the past several years) happy.   There is a wide-spectrum of "how much do I need" based on one's choice of activities, luxuries, and residence-choice.

There is a lot of space between 9,000 and 65,000.  If I didn't enjoy the company of women, 9K would be enough to scrape by in a smaller town, but I can see that not being "worth" issuing a visa, as the overall contribution to the Thai economy is minimal.  I do quite well on ~40K living in a nice condo with beautiful view of the islands, including a lifestyle that keeps a lady (my gf for the past several years) happy.   There is a wide-spectrum of "how much do I need" based on one's choice of activities, luxuries, and residence-choice.

I agree with you. We eat like kings, rent a nice air con 3br home in a good area. Mrs and a kid. We're not out buying new clothes and stuff evert day but I cook really good farang food and we have a good lifestyle I beleive. Sure I wish I had more money to throw around but who doesn't.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

On 6/22/2017 at 5:44 PM, superal said:

Sorry but wrong , if you reached retirement age before 06 April 2016 the pension is 122 pounds & 30 pence a week . If born after 06 April 1951 he will get 159 pounds & 55 pence per week .   Where did you get your figures from ? 

You can only put a figure on the basic state pension not the max state pension.

• Like 1

In March, I received my first retirement visa and showed my embassy letter reflecting enough income where I did not need money in the bank.  At the end of the process the Immigration official told my wife that next time I needed to bring my bank book to show money.  Why do you suppose he said that?

In March, I received my first retirement visa and showed my embassy letter reflecting enough income where I did not need money in the bank.  At the end of the process the Immigration official told my wife that next time I needed to bring my bank book to show money.  Why do you suppose he said that?

Coz Embassy letters are based on evidence of income which can be faked I suspect is the reason!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well maybe but the immigration rule doesn't ask for any proof of income other than the Embassy letter.  Furthermore the rule states 400,000 bt in the bank, income of 400,000+ bt annually or a combination of the two totaling 400,000 bt.  (It would have been 800,000 if I were not married to a Thai person) and I have satisfied the 400,000 bt with more than sufficient income, over double that and then some which was stated on the Embassy letter to which I had to swear under the risk of perjury.  I wish to keep my funds from being out in the open  and opted for the income method of qualification.  There might have been some ulterior motive too.

• Like 1

Well maybe but the immigration rule doesn't ask for any proof of income other than the Embassy letter.  Furthermore the rule states 400,000 bt in the bank, income of 400,000+ bt annually or a combination of the two totaling 400,000 bt.  (It would have been 800,000 if I were not married to a Thai person) and I have satisfied the 400,000 bt with more than sufficient income, over double that and then some which was stated on the Embassy letter to which I had to swear under the risk of perjury.  I wish to keep my funds from being out in the open  and opted for the income method of qualification.  There might have been some ulterior motive too.

I used to get Key Visa to sort my Embassy letter. Never had to swear anywhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 6/23/2017 at 6:28 AM, Kenny202 said:

I agree with you. We eat like kings, rent a nice air con 3br home in a good area. Mrs and a kid. We're not out buying new clothes and stuff evert day but I cook really good farang food and we have a good lifestyle I beleive. Sure I wish I had more money to throw around but who doesn't.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 6/23/2017 at 6:23 AM, JackThompson said:

Well stated posts.  Many ways to do things and spend money.  Range of medical insurance, auto/bike insurance, bar fines every day or not, western food dining out, cooking at home, etc.  65,000 a month or about $2,000 a month is a reasonable amount in my opinion for some sort of western equivalent lifestyle.  65,000 baht is a decent comfortable and fun amount for a single person.  Heading into retirement very soon, I planned for $2,000, budgeted for $3,000 but could do $4,000. And I would have some nominal expenses in the USA as I  would be maintaining some ties to the states, would make 1 trip back home every 6 months, etc.  Could do things on the cheap, but I really don't want to be like the burnt out people I see sitting along beach road in Pattaya.  I hope to get around, experience things, of course get a decent GF hookup. Wife and marriage and bring in some kids, well, not really my plan, but one never knows.  Heading out to the Local Thai Temple here in Melbourne Florida for their sunday food court.  Hotter here than in Thailand at the moment!

3 hours ago, MarcIssan said:

the rule states 400,000 bt in the bank, income of 400,000+ bt annually or a combination of the two totaling 400,000 bt.

No combo option for the marriage extension financials - it's one or the other.  The Combo is permitted only for the retirement extension financials.

Edited by JackThompson