Thai Airways rated as world’s best economy airline

webfact

14 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I always check what planes are being used on my flights and plan accordingly. As I normally book my own flights I can (usually) pick my seats when I am booking the ticket. If I'm using an agent for some reason, I will tell them which seats I want and get them to reserve them when booking the ticket(s).

Personally, if I'm flying economy, I prefer to sit in the aisle seat, 2nd row, left side of the plane, preferably the right side of the aisle. You always get on/off the plane on the left side which means you are close to the door (more important on arrival than departure). The first row has more leg room but often has the TV on the wall and is where they put the "baby bassinets". Also, there are normally bathrooms and a galley between economy and business class so you are close to those as well. 
I also prefer to get out of my seat to let others in/out of theirs, instead of having to crawl over top of other people who try to guilt you for invading "their" space or set their space up to try and make it near impossible for you to get through. Too many @@@@heads on flights these days.

I tried sitting in the "emergency exit" row seats on some planes, near the back. I recall the one flight, there were only 2 seats in that row and they "reserved" them for people that looked like they could handle getting the door open in an emergency. It was great !

Until we landed that is. I had already packed my stuff and filled out my arrival card and was ready to go before we touched down (at Don Muang back then). We landed, the seatbelt sign went off, I stood up..............and the 300 people ahead of me all stood up as well and most of them decided that then was a good time to start packing up all their crap and re-organizing their bags and checking their make-up (etc, etc).

Holey arthritic turtle derby Fatman ! It took me nearly 40 minutes just to get off the plane !!!  Then I still had to deal with the mass of people between me and the Immigration counters !

Next flight (same airline) I got the 2nd row aisle seat. From the time we arrived until I was outside the terminal that time was just over 35 minutes (only had a carry on bag each time). From then on I always go for that same seat if possible (if flying economy).

It's the little things that can make the difference between a decent flight and a "flight from hell". That and choosing a good airline. I also learned (the hard way) to always check for "code share" flights and see which airline is actually flying the route I'm taking.

Booked a Cathay Pacific flight (Bangkok to Vancouver) one time. Flew Cathay to Hong Kong and changed planes. That was when I discovered the Hong Kong to Vancouver leg was "operated by Air Canada". Quite possible the worst in flight experience I've ever had, mainly due to the pathetic (unionized) cabin crew.

China Air, JAL, Korean Air, Philippines Air - I'd take any of them (again) over an Air Canada flight, even if I have to pay more. I'd even take an Air India flight over an Air Canada one (it's no coincidence that Air Canada ranked 29th in the world on the Skytrax survey. Scarier is the fact that Air Canada was the top ranked North American airline !!)

It does not take much these days, to be a top ranked North American airline. The US airlines are some of the worst. The only one I find to be decent is Delta. And Virgin America is not bad, but not great.

And Thai Air is not an economy airline, by any stretch of the imagination. I think they were implying but economy class. Not economy airline. Dismally poor journalism. I have only flown them a few times. Usually I find them to be grossly overpriced, and the food and baggage handling leave something to be desired. I have also felt their service is on the arrogant side. I usually avoid Thai Air. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Correct. Skytrax is very reliable, and consider the industry standard. That incredibly obscure list, that showed Swampy as one of the worst, was a poorly compiled piece of crap. Not that I think Swampy is a great airport. But, it is definitely not one of the worst. I have seen some pretty awful airports in my days! 

Skytrax also named Turkish Airways best EUROPEAN airline for years in a row.

I have the impression that Skytrax is being sponsored - maybe that is why they have so many categories, every sponsor can be best in some category.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I have the impression that Skytrax is being sponsored - maybe that is why they have so many categories, every sponsor can be best in some category.

This. Another article states "Thailand is Home to Four of the Worst Airlines For Safety." Winning yet another category!  

9 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Incorrect. Turkish Airlines has spent a fortune to improve their planes, service, and lounges, worldwide. They are the best European airline, hands down. Skytrax is completely independent. That is what makes them the industry standard.

The independent survey evaluates traveller experiences across a wide range of airport services and then evaluates key performance indicators – from check-in, arrivals, transfers, shopping, security and immigration right through to departure at the gate.

This year’s awards were based on over a million questionnaires completed by nationalities worldwide. The survey covered 550 airports worldwide and consequently unveiling an unrivalled perception of the airline industry across the globe.

Hmmmm - to all those FIRST-Class & Business-Class Guys...... I feel sorry for your troubles ...:shock1:

I also would like to fly THAI more often, but I find Qatar (and others) are much cheaper ..... btw - I am just in ECONOMY, since I have to pay for my flights myself!!

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Incorrect. Turkish Airlines has spent a fortune to improve their planes, service, and lounges, worldwide. They are the best European airline, hands down. Skytrax is completely independent. That is what makes them the industry standard.

The independent survey evaluates traveller experiences across a wide range of airport services and then evaluates key performance indicators – from check-in, arrivals, transfers, shopping, security and immigration right through to departure at the gate.

This year’s awards were based on over a million questionnaires completed by nationalities worldwide. The survey covered 550 airports worldwide and consequently unveiling an unrivalled perception of the airline industry across the globe.

Turkish Airlines is NOT a European airline.

But yes, they are good in the air....

Try to use their website though, for booking or check in.

Also they once gave us a boarding pass for a non existing row - this was only discovered after boarding. Fortunately, they had seats vacant in row 13 (555), but our luggage got stowed in the back, near our non existing row. Wewere the last ones off the plane, and after a looooong bus tour almost missed our connecting flight.

If you like long bus trips, Istanbul airport is the place to be.

If you like to sit down or use a toilet, IST would not be a good choice.

But the food & drinks are above average yes, quality and quantity.

And they are cheap.

As for the questionnaires of Skytrax.

After once flying Austrian, I received e mails from them asking me to endorse Austrian in the Skytrax survey....

• Like 1

16 long haul flights with Thai in last 12 months in Economy I concur with the judges,

Very pleasant flying, food good (but too much) Whatever you want to drink whenever you want including Cognac

Pleasant staff without being too intrusive. All in all top marks even if the plane a bit old

(with apologies to all you Thai Visa knockers)

I had been flying Cathay in Deluxe Economy. Was surprised and disappointed that many things didn't work. The guy across the aisle couldn't retract his tray table for landing. My controller didn't work. etc  But food etc were great.

1 hour ago, Awinkl said:

Hmmmm - to all those FIRST-Class & Business-Class Guys...... I feel sorry for your troubles ...:shock1:

I also would like to fly THAI more often, but I find Qatar (and others) are much cheaper ..... btw - I am just in ECONOMY, since I have to pay for my flights myself!!

I would assume in this day and age, unless a very senior company employee, most pay their own airfares, I know I certainly do, it's all about making your money and using it wisely. I am now nearly 70 and since 1976 I must have flown 1.5m miles, of which nearly 800,00 have been with CX, So as I can't take my money with me, I feel quite comfortable with spending it as I see fit. As for those who get company help with air tickets, good luck to them as they must be worth it.

i will be aware from now on when I drive to the airport in my BMW hoping to see you en route in your TukTuk

• Like 1

I think that airlines - and most other businesses -  no longer stick to a standard.

Their service depends on so many circumstances, as a consumer you never know what to expect.

A perfect example of this is Emirates, fly their 777 with an extra row of seats, and you will say they are substandard. Fly a different Emirates airplane, and you will say they are excellent.

But this is good for price competition, as more and more consumers will no longer stick to their favorite brand, and instead go for the lowest price at the time of booking.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kerryd said:

It wasn't an award for "Best Economy Airline" !!

It was an award for having the "Best Economy Class" (in the category "Best by Cabin"). http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Awards/best_economy_class_airlines.html

Skytrax is also a somewhat more reputable organization that that other one that named Swampy among the 10 worst airports (Skytrax has Swampy as #38 overall in their top 100). 

http://www.worldairportawards.com/awards/world_airport_rating.html

I agree TG has the best Economy Class but it is certainly not the cheapest

10 minutes ago, how241 said:

Sounds like they have a award for everyone.

Maybe they are nice guys.

Maybe they try to please every sponsor.

Maybe their management likes to drink free champagne with as many airline bobos as possible.

1 hour ago, DipStick said:

I would assume in this day and age, unless a very senior company employee, most pay their own airfares, I know I certainly do, it's all about making your money and using it wisely. I am now nearly 70 and since 1976 I must have flown 1.5m miles, of which nearly 800,00 have been with CX, So as I can't take my money with me, I feel quite comfortable with spending it as I see fit. As for those who get company help with air tickets, good luck to them as they must be worth it.

i will be aware from now on when I drive to the airport in my BMW hoping to see you en route in your TukTuk

:clap2:

So as I can't take my money with me, I feel quite comfortable with spending it as I see fit.

i'm not using my money to fly first or business. my heirs are paying for it.

flai först.jpg

On 6/22/2017 at 2:33 PM, webfact said:

Skytrax held its ‘World Airline Awards’ at the Paris Air Show, with Thai Airways claiming the title of World's Best Economy Class

The Award for the world's "Best Economy Class Airline" is a distinction representing passenger satisfaction assessment of the front-line Economy Class product and staff service standards that airlines provide across both the cabin and airport environments. http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Awards/best_economy_class_airlines.html

Can't see how Thai Airways did so well on airport environments.

Scores 3rd for Best Economy Class Airline Seats. Where does Best Economy Class Airline come from?

On 22.6.2017 at 10:43 AM, Dobredin Ghusputin said:

So, this review is credible, but the one showing Suvarnabhumi among world's worst airports isn't.

Swampy is not so bad at all, its only the immigration process that has a lot of improvement potential

• Like 2

On 6/22/2017 at 11:41 AM, Lammbock said:

Nice to see our national carrier being on the upside again. I like to fly with THAI.

As I live in Cyprus, I have to take EK to BKK but I am happy to see this positive view. After difficult years, I have nothing but best wishes for TG and will make a point of flying them regionally.

I stopped flying international business class with Thai years ago

They used to be good but in my opinion do not come anywhere near their competitors especially Qatar and Etithad

I will not fly with them domestically either especially Chiang Mai -Bangkok return always late and their subsidiary Thai Smiles is even worse

The last time I flew the flight was almost two hours late and they couldn't even provide any information 

Those passengers who think they are great are welcome to to fly with them but not me.

On 6/22/2017 at 4:22 PM, Naam said:

the "downside" is that i am flying next week Emirates first class to Frankfurt via Dubai and pay 23,000 Baht less than Thai charges for business class. go figure! :whistling:

I see your point, but how much would you pay to fly Emirates Business Class? Surely you should compare "like for like"?

1 hour ago, sambum said:
On 6/22/2017 at 4:22 PM, Naam said:

the "downside" is that i am flying next week Emirates first class to Frankfurt via Dubai and pay 23,000 Baht less than Thai charges for business class. go figure! :whistling:

I see your point, but how much would you pay to fly Emirates Business Class? Surely you should compare "like for like"?

if you scroll back you can see that i made that comparison.

Thai...........THB 164,950.-

Emirates....THB 104.400.-

Difference..THB    60.550.- = USD 1,800.-

Clearly Skytrax has never looked at a comparison website like most sensible people do. Usually mor than 10 pages searching before you find the price of a Thai Airways flight. Still Skytrax must be inferring that as far as economy goes Thai Airways is the lowest of the low. What an award to be proud of.

10 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

Clearly Skytrax has never looked at a comparison website like most sensible people do. Usually mor than 10 pages searching before you find the price of a Thai Airways flight. Still Skytrax must be inferring that as far as economy goes Thai Airways is the lowest of the low. What an award to be proud of.

The headline for this topic is misleading. Thai did not win an award for being the best "Economy Class Airline", they won for having the best Economy Class "Cabin". According to the millions of survey results Skytrax had, people thought that the Economy section of Thai Air flights was better than the Economy sections of other airlines.

The award for "Best Economy Airline" (i.e. the best of the cheapest airlines) went to AirAsia.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

The headline for this topic is misleading. Thai did not win an award for being the best "Economy Class Airline", they won for having the best Economy Class "Cabin". According to the millions of survey results Skytrax had, people thought that the Economy section of Thai Air flights was better than the Economy sections of other airlines.

The award for "Best Economy Airline" (i.e. the best of the cheapest airlines) went to AirAsia.

Thai media reporting is often completely at variance with the facts, as you are suggesting. One of the most frequent instances is the reporting on so-called 'Olympiads', where Thai students are claimed to get mutliple 'gold medals'. You probably assume that a gold medal is awarded to the winner of a competition, but this is where the deception is made. In order to get a 'gold medal', all you have to do is score 29 points out of a possible 42, which is 69%. Of course this is never detailed in Thai press reports, where the misconception that a Thai student was a winner is deceitfully allowed to persist. And the questions and marking process is never publicised, so it could be ridiculously easy questions answwered by a multiple-choice - who's to know? While the organisers of the Ólympiad'- which might be comprised of a selected and small number of nations) might publish details, the Thai press sure as hell doesn't.

So it's quite possible that if there are 23 contestants in a (for example) maths or physics 'Olympiad', then 23 gold medals would be awarded.

Tricky.

And deceitful.

And stupid (or so it seems to me).

More Thai exceptionalism implied where there is none, everyone knows what the standard of Thai education is like.

And here we are again with allegations of deceit. According to this poster, THAI wasn't rated as  the 'world's best economy airline' as reported at all, it had the 'best economy class cabin. which is probably entirely subjective anyway. Not the same thing at all, but the Thai press appeal to the vanity of a largely stupid and uneducated population who don't appear to know any better, thus perpetuating the ridiculous amount of propaganda this nation is subject to and increasing the vanity, arrogance and deception of the nation. As if there wasn't more than enough of all of those things already.

Wake up Thailand.

Edited by Trumpish
  • Like 1