Veteran wanting a retirement Visa.

8 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Joe, I consulted the website of the Portland consulate before posting and it says that in order to apply for a single entry O visa one must submit "Marriage certificate and proof of spouse's Thai citizenship, Letter of invitation from volunteer organization in Thailand, proof of condo or home ownership."  This would imply rather narrow basis for granting a 90 day O visa.  The OP isn't able to supply any of these.

That has been on their website for years. They will issue single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over.

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Joe, I consulted the website of the Portland consulate before posting and it says that in order to apply for a single entry O visa one must submit "Marriage certificate and proof of spouse's Thai citizenship, Letter of invitation from volunteer organization in Thailand, proof of condo or home ownership."  This would imply rather narrow basis for granting a 90 day O visa.  The OP isn't able to supply any of these.

I'm sorry Nancy but I would take Joes knowledge on immigration matters before yours, or in fact just

about everyone, especially overseas consulates, who notoriously never update their websites, believe

me trust Joe.

Well, this is the OP's answer, then.  Write to the Portland, Oregon Honorary Thai Consul and apply for a 90 day single entry O visa "for the purpose of investigating retirement" and then obtain a 1-year extension using an Income Letter from the U.S. Consulate Chiang Mai.  Application can be made up to 45 days of expiration of the permission to stay.

One year retirement extensions are fairly easy to do in Chiang Mai.  

I could have sworn that recent arrivals have told me Portland is no longer issuing single entry 90 day O visas for retirees, but as everyone recognizes, Joe is the expert on this subject.  

It will be interesting to learn if the OP goes this route and the outcome.  

12 hours ago, NancyL said:

Kim, here's how to evaluate your options:

The agents here in Chiang Mai charge around 15,000 - 25,000 baht plus the standard gov't application fees to take someone through the process of visa conversion to having a one year retirement extension.

Thanks again, I did the fingerprint process and submitted the background check to the FBI. The VA will do the Med Check, and the BOA will to do the financial requirements documentation. Got to fess up, I did have a DUI that was case dismissed 40 years ago. I own the responsibility. No excuses. I do not know how this will be reported by the FBI. I am surprised that I can't find any Agency Services in the US to help with any long term Thai Visas. CM Buddy is very visible, seems like just get to us and you are all set. Airport pickup, temporary housing, orientation training, and no problem visas, beats me. One person, said just go to the nearest Embassy and get it straight. That's s trip to NYC or D.C. In that case, just use something like CM Buddy.

7 hours ago, Kim1950 said:

Thanks again, I did the fingerprint process and submitted the background check to the FBI. The VA will do the Med Check, and the BOA will to do the financial requirements documentation. Got to fess up, I did have a DUI that was case dismissed 40 years ago. I own the responsibility. No excuses. I do not know how this will be reported by the FBI. I am surprised that I can't find any Agency Services in the US to help with any long term Thai Visas. CM Buddy is very visible, seems like just get to us and you are all set. Airport pickup, temporary housing, orientation training, and no problem visas, beats me. One person, said just go to the nearest Embassy and get it straight. That's s trip to NYC or D.C. In that case, just use something like CM Buddy.

You don't need the background check and medical if you are going to get an extension of stay here.

The background check is only needed to apply for the OA long stay visa at the embassy or one of the 3 official consulates. You can apply by mail to them.

If you get the OA visa you will not need to do anything at immigration other than 90 day reports. Then after your visa expires a re-entry permit to keep you last one year entry valid.

There is no need to go in person to apply for an O-A visa in NYC or DC.  You do it by mail.  It sounds like you have all your bases covered already with the FBI check, VA doing the medical check and BOA supplying the financial documents.  All you have to do is fill in the visa application and get photos made.  Why do you need an agent to do this?  The only way an agent could have helped is to have used one of the agent that can expedite the long lead time it takes to get an FBI check, and those are companies licensed by the FBI, not "visa agents" to help you get a Thai visa.

As for needing the services of CM Buddy -- well, if you can't find your way to the taxi stand at the CM Airport (it's not a big airport) or use TripAdvisor to figure out where to book your first hotel/guesthouse, then I guess you can hire them.  

Actually, all you need to do is show up at one of the Breakfast Club meetings of the CM Expat Club or the half-price wine nights at Pern's restaurant or the Computer Club or Pickleball Club and ask a few questions of other retirees and you'll get your life in order quickly.  That's what Hubby and I did.  We'd ask questions of every retiree we meet, the same questions to several people.  If we started hearing the same answer from most people, we figured it was the right answer.  i.e. "where's the best place to open a bank account"  After 3 or 4 people told us to go to the Kad Suan Kaew branch of Bangkok Bank, that's where we went.  Same with health insurance "who should we talk with about health insurance".  Heard the same name over and over and that's who we talked with.  CM Buddy has their own "arrangements" with providers and you may not always be steered in the right direction.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NancyL said:

.  Same with health insurance "who should we talk with about health insurance".  Heard the same name over and over and that's who we talked with. 

How about 'best budget hospital' in Chiang Mai for foreign retirees? Which one gets the best vote in terms of low pricing and good service?

Edited by EricTh

9 hours ago, NancyL said:

There is no need to go in person to apply for an O-A visa in NYC or DC.  You do it by mail.  It sounds like you have all your bases covered already with the FBI check, VA doing the medical check and BOA supplying the financial documents,

Thanks again, very helpful, everything is in motion. I submitted the forms and fingerprints to the FBI. Might take two months, they would report my military records because they take your fingerprints. I still have my lapse of judgment with a DUI case that was dismissed for good behavior of 40 years ago. I am not sure how this is reported on the FBI report or the state eve moved the incident forward. 

On the D.C. Thai Embassy site, it reads no criminal record accepted for the Visa. I am not sure how stringent are these rules. Time has passed, it was not a felony, there was no harm to property or people. I deeply regret that mistake. I might write a personal letter along with the necessary forms and plead my case. It's been my dream to return to Thailand and South East Asia, where as a young man, I feel in love with the country. Oh, I've been there more recently on short business trips.

We will see, then Plan B.

http://thaiembdc.org/visas/type-of-visas/

On 7/3/2017 at 11:51 PM, NancyL said:

There is no need to go in person to apply for an O-A visa.

This is the list of possible visas available from the US.

http://thaiembdc.org/visas/

Then there is tourist visa "As one of Countries listed for Visa Exemption and Visa on Arrival, U.S. Passport Holders are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 30 days on each visit. (15-day stays if arriving by land-crossing). The period of stay may not be extended." It reads no extensions beyond 30 day, so I do not understand how I convert to a  Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay) within 30 days while in Thailand.

I do not closely meet the requirements for any other visa except the "O-A, pending the the FBI 'no criminal record', that could be issue, as possibly no exceptions. Well, there's Cambodia, and Vietnam which has 5 Year option. 

I also don't unde stand why different Thai Consulates or Embassies would have different rules on visas

Kim

13 minutes ago, Kim1950 said:

Then there is tourist visa "As one of Countries listed for Visa Exemption and Visa on Arrival, U.S. Passport Holders are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 30 days on each visit. (15-day stays if arriving by land-crossing). The period of stay may not be extended." It reads no extensions beyond 30 day, so I do not understand how I convert to a  Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay) within 30 days while in Thailand.

I do not closely meet the requirements for any other visa except the "O-A, pending the the FBI 'no criminal record', that could be issue, as possibly no exceptions. Well, there's Cambodia, and Vietnam which has 5 Year option. 

I also don't unde stand why different Thai Consulates or Embassies would have different rules on visas

Kim

There's this option at the LA Consulate. Why the confusion.

90-Day Non-Immigrant Visa

The 90-Day Non-Immigrant visa is issued to foreigners who wish to enter Thailand for study, business, investment, retirement and other purposes. This type of visa is valid for use for 90 days from the date of issue. The holder of this visa is also given a period of 90 days stay inside Thailand and can be extended for 7 days.

Furthermore, this type of visa grants the holder the option to convert to a 1-Year Non-Immigrant visa stay (i.e. work visa, marriage visa, retirement etc) which can be processed and obtained inside Thailand

13 minutes ago, Kim1950 said:

There's this option at the LA Consulate. Why the confusion.

90-Day Non-Immigrant Visa

I cannot find anything like you posted on the LA consulate website. Could you post a link to the page.

I did find this page. http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=34#

There no mention of a non-o visa for retirement on it. Only the OA visa is shown.

You are correct. The 90 day Non Immigrant Visa would seem not to be for the purpose of exploring retirement. The description was noted from a Thai Visa Agency and I did not read the details from the LA Consulate Site. The Agency claimed, for a fee, they would handle retirement option.

So. I am still confused about comments that not one can get a 90 Visa then within country opt to long stay, one year renewable Visas.

Sorry for the confusion. This is not looking optimistic. 

14 minutes ago, Kim1950 said:
You are correct. The 90 day Non Immigrant Visa would seem not to be for the purpose of exploring retirement. The description was noted from a Thai Visa Agency and I did not read the details from the LA Consulate Site. The Agency claimed, for a fee, they would handle retirement option.

So. I am still confused about comments that not one can get a 90 Visa then within country opt to long stay, one year renewable Visas.

Sorry for the confusion. This is not looking optimistic. 

Geez.  I am certainly no expert on this but you seem to be making it difficult in your mind.  I came on a 30 day passport stay, went to the embassy got my income verification, then applied got my retirement visa.  Like I suggested before, come here and do it, it is much easier. Yes they give you 90 days first here, then go back before it expires and get the 1 year.

Again, come here and do it.  If you are still confused bite the bullet hire an agency your first time I did and I got everything (90 day and 12 month so 15 months total).  The agency walked with me thru BKK immigration, handed out a few envelopes and I was out in 45 minutes.

Edited by bkk6060

10 minutes ago, Kim1950 said:

They don't say that because the one year extensions of stay mentioned are done at immigration here.

As I wrote before you will only be able to get a single entry non-o at one of the honorary consulates.

10 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Geez.  I am certainly no expert on this but you seem to be making it difficult in your mind.  I came on a 30 day passport stay, went to the embassy got my income verification, then applied got my retirement visa.  Like I suggested before, come here and do it, it is much easier. Yes they give you 90 days first here, then go back before it expires and get the 1 year.

Again, come here and do it.  If you are still confused bite the bullet hire an agency your first time I did and I got everything (90 day and 12 month so 15 months total).  The agency walked with me thru BKK immigration, handed out a few envelopes and I was out in 45 minutes.

My problem is a worked for a huge multinational company and the military. I traveled all over the world, sometimes short stays, sometimes long stays, overfilled my passport many times. They used somebody and I as all set, ready to go, no problems. Flights, Hotels, Visas, or immigration. No background checks, People ready to show you the ropes. Got spoiled. And, those days are over.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I am with you. An Agency claims they do all this in country. However, they claim I need a 800,000 THB security deposit in a Thai Bank for two months, then I go to the US Consulate for proof of income or cash equivalence of 800,000 THB. And, maybe the health check and background check would most likely not be required by immigration.That's 1600,000 THB. I can handle this financially, but a security deposit of 800,000 THB. I am not even sure I can wire that lump sum in one transfer. Or how long the 800,000 needs sit in the bank.

1 minute ago, Kim1950 said:

I am with you. An Agency claims they do all this in country. However, they claim I need a 800,000 THB security deposit in a Thai Bank for two months, then I go to the US Consulate for proof of income or cash equivalence of 800,000 THB. And, maybe the health check and background check would most likely not be required by immigration.That's 1600,000 THB. I can handle this financially, but a security deposit of 800,000 THB. I am not even sure I can wire that lump sum in one transfer. Or how long the 800,000 needs sit in the bank.

I can't help thinking bkk3030 is right, you are making it difficult in your mind.

The 800,000 baht you are referring to is a prerequisite of the requirements to qualifiy

for a retirement extension, not a security deposit and you can use the same money

to obtain your non O visa not an additional amount.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kim1950 said:

If using the "800K Baht money in the bank" method of financial qualification, you don't need to get anything from the US-consulate. 

You only need a letter from the US-Embassy if you are proving your wealth with a Income Statutory Document - which is used instead of, or in addition to, money in the bank - if you don't have 800K+ worth in the bank.

If applying at a Thai consulate (outside Thailand) for the Non-OA Visa, the money does not have to be in a Thai bank - 800K Baht worth in any convertible currency in an account somewhere in the world in your name.

When applying for a 1-year extension of stay - applied for at a Thai immigration office in Thailand - Only Then the money does have to be in a Thai bank, and for 2 months prior to applying.

The easiest plan is to get a Non-O 90-Day visa from an "Honorary" Thai-Consulate in the USA.  Then, when you get here, open a Thai bank account and transfer 800K Baht here.  As you have 90-days upon entry, and the money only needs to be in the bank for 2 months, that gives you some time to get the funds here.  In the last 30-days of your 90-days permitted-stay, you apply for your 1-year extension.

The 2nd easiest option - come in using a Thai Tourist Visa, good for 60-days, and extendable for another 30-days at a Thai immigration office (no money in the bank required).  When you arrive, open a Thai bank-account, and get the 800K moved into it.  Then, either convert that to a Non-O 90-day visa here, or go out to a nearby consulate to get a Non-O 90-day.  At the end of that 90-days, you apply for a 1-year extension.

The most difficult visa to get the Non-OA visa from an "Official" Thai Consulate (not honorary) - which requires the police-check, etc.  That gives you a 1-year permitted stamp on entry, instead of 90-days.  If you leave and re-enter the country near the end of the visa's validity, you get another 1-year permitted stay stamp - so the visa can get you about 2 years of stay in Thailand.

On 7/6/2017 at 7:24 AM, Kim1950 said:

Kim

You don't convert a visa-exempt entry into a O-A 1 year visa within Thailand.  You can convert a visa-exempt entry into a 90-day O visa in certain provinces in Thailand and then during the final 30-45 days of the life of that visa, apply for a one year extension due to retirement.  Each year you apply for a new extension due to retirement.  Many people call that "renewing their retirement visa", but in truth, they're extending their permission to stay.  Their visa is long dead.

I think you're making this too complicated.  Just wait until your FBI criminal check comes back.  If it's OK, then apply for an O-A visa in the U.S.  If you don't like the FBI report, then apply for a tourist visa and be prepared to pay a visa agent once in Chiang Mai to assist with the visa conversion. 

• Like 2

i can't help but recall the post awhile back by a respected member of TV.  that OP suggested getting a long stay visa was too much of hassle, etc...  and then the TV member had the quote of all time "one day at immigration is inconvenient ?".  for those new to the process, it sure feels like alot more than one day at immigration !!!! 

1 minute ago, buick said:

i can't help but recall the post awhile back by a respected member of TV.  that OP suggested getting a long stay visa was too much of hassle, etc...  and then the TV member had the quote of all time "one day at immigration is inconvenient ?".  for those new to the process, it sure feels like alot more than one day at immigration !!!! 

Yes, if you're a newly arrived retiree coming without an O-A or O visa, it is more than "one day at Immigration" and it can be overwhelming to a newcomer.  

• Like 1

On 7/6/2017 at 7:24 AM, Kim1950 said:

It reads no extensions beyond 30 day, so I do not understand how I convert to a  Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay) within 30 days while in Thailand.

The answer is simple!  Such a conversion cannot be done,  O-A visas can only be applied for and issued in a persons country of origin or legal residence.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2017 at 7:49 PM, Kim1950 said:

If you have an income of $2,000 a month that is enough.  Just go to the Embassy in Bangkok and swear to it and get a certificate.

If you go to the right agency they will manipulate the 800,000 b thru an account they have.   No need to worry.  The right agency will do absolutely everything for you just walk in with your passport and tell them what you want.  It will cost you of course but you did say in your original post that you were willing to pay so.......

But, it appears from all the negative posts I have read now in this and another thread, that you have decided not to come here anyway.

So, I guess it is all a mute point.

Good luck in your retirement choices hope you find a place right for you.    

19 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

If you have an income of $2,000 a month that is enough.  Just go to the Embassy in Bangkok and swear to it and get a certificate.

If you go to the right agency they will manipulate the 800,000 b thru an account they have.   No need to worry.  The right agency will do absolutely everything for you just walk in with your passport and tell them what you want.  It will cost you of course but you did say in your original post that you were willing to pay so.......

But, it appears from all the negative posts I have read now in this and another thread, that you have decided not to come here anyway.

So, I guess it is all a mute point.

Good luck in your retirement choices hope you find a place right for you.    

I have more than a $2000 USD monthly income, money in cash, and money in an IRA. The VA will give me a health certificate. I submitted the FBI fingerprint 'rap sheet' paperwork, will be waiting for that for two months. I am 66 who knows what!s there,  in fact, I talked to them and they don't really know for petty things that happened 40 years ago. They can't even confirm if a case was dismissed by a state court. In those days, they were only interested in felony cases. The Embassy tells me anything there is Show Stopper. No appeal. And, it would cost me plenty to mediate the issue. I not expecting anything

Plan B, there's this supposedly a 90 Day in country Visa that can be obtained that can be extended for a year, and more years, if you meet the financial requirements, no security clearance or medical check though under a tight banking timeline. Better facilitated through an agency. Then I am told this 90 Day Visa can't be used for exploring retirement. I don't get this option not has it been explained very clearly.  Maybe chasing a scam.

I am not negative about Thailand. It's my dream to return there to travel the country over an extended period of time, maybe years. I lived there. Loved the people and culture. Get to know more. I didn't find much of this Anti- Farangs thing. Except for the a-holes you would get anywhere. We will see.

Please let us know how the FBI record looks.  It's probably going to be just fine and you'll get an O-A visa no problem.

Meanwhile, it seems you've developed a workable plan of other options.  Thailand is full of retirees who have "cloudy" FBI rap sheets.  And many obtained their visas and permission to stay in Thailand legally and without using agents.  Those options have been presented in this post, it's just they're more cumbersome to implement than the O-A visa.

• 2 weeks later...

It takes 2 months for a criminal background check? I had to twist arms a bit to get the  local VA  clinic to fill out my health form; and who knew they never test us for the things on this form. I go to the VA regularly. Finally received the completed form today. First thing they said 'some of it is not in English'. What?? lol

When I went for the tests, a couple of the nurses cornered me and tried pumping me for information about my travel plans. Yeah, like I want to tell you anything.

29 minutes ago, XBroker said:

It takes 2 months for a criminal background check? I had to twist arms a bit to get the  local VA  clinic to fill out my health form; and who knew they never test us for the things on this form. I go to the VA regularly. Finally received the completed form today. First thing they said 'some of it is not in English'. What?? lol

When I went for the tests, a couple of the nurses cornered me and tried pumping me for information about my travel plans. Yeah, like I want to tell you anything.

It depends in what state you are in really. Mine took 48 hours because they also do the same checks for pre-screening people for airline security so the process is well setup.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tonray said:

It depends in what state you are in really. Mine took 48 hours because they also do the same checks for pre-screening people for airline security so the process is well setup.

Thank you.  I thought it could be done quicker.  Also, do I need an onward ticket w/ an non immigrant O-A? I would think not. And on top of the form it asks number of entries. I thought I could just pay more for a multi entry, which (I thought) meant unlimited in and out of the country. Should I write multi there or...?